PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Hello to All

Hey, I’ve been reading this board for a while, but never posted. I’m exactly what my username says I am. I’m a third-generation PSUer who has heard stories about the many great moments in Penn State basketball history, such as the time we almost beat Indiana, and that’s basically the only story I heard.

I got season tickets my first two years, but I’ve noticed that once you miss one game, it isn’t cost-effective to get them as a student. So I just attend all the home games ala carte. I hope to provide student insights like that throughout the year.

Welcome aboard! I thought you were a senior citizen at first, until the student ticket reference. :smiley:

The student season tickets are actually not good of a deal at all when you consider a few facts:

-Sellouts on the weekend games are probably not gonna happen barring a miracle team, let alone a weekday/noncon game.

-The price works out to maybe saving a slight amount of money, granted that you miss NO games.

-The ‘benefits’ of the package are hardly worth any extra cost.

-It takes longer, or at least it did in 2009 for the Illinois games (Battle buzzer-beater) to get in as a season ticket holder because they only had a few ID-reading machines at one gate. I had to wait a while; my roommate who just bought one at the ticket window got in quickly.

Well if you’re a fan of the like I was then you missed no games, but tickets were also free back in the A-10 days. If you’re only going to pick the big games then I see your point, but you should get your buddies to go to all the games. Believe me after your in the real world you are going to wish you took advantage of this stuff.

Welcome aboard.

Please don’t lecture me on game attendance. I can count on one hand the games I have missed, and believe it or not, I’m up here at Penn State for reasons other than athletic events.

Being a Civil Engineering major I think I know students are there for classes. All I am saying is once you get a job, wife, house, kids, etc. you are lucky to get back to Dear Old State as much as you plan to once you leave. The first few years I would make 4+ football games and 4+ basketball games. Now I am lucky if I get up to 1 football and 1 basketball game a season.

When I camping out for season tickets back in the day it assured me of better seats. Is that no longer the case?

Welcome to the board, us students are few and far between on here.

You are correct. When you enter the student section, you get your pick of wherever you want that is open; I believe that the 4-5 girls in the pink shirts (Hassel’s Hottie’s) get front-row privileges for obvious recruiting reasons.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:7, topic:1463"]When I camping out for season tickets back in the day it assured me of better seats. Is that no longer the case?[/quote]

You are correct. When you enter the student section, you get your pick of wherever you want that is open; I believe that the 4-5 girls in the pink shirts (Hassel’s Hottie’s) get front-row privileges for obvious recruiting reasons.

Not that it’s really all that important, but for the sake of keeping any rumors from starting, they get those seats by showing up an hour or so before the doors open. It’s not a big deal, but I figured I’d throw that out there.

[quote=“CynicalSenior@MainCampus, post:1, topic:1463”]Hey, I’ve been reading this board for a while, but never posted. I’m exactly what my username says I am. I’m a third-generation PSUer who has heard stories about the many great moments in Penn State basketball history, such as the time we almost beat Indiana, and that’s basically the only story I heard.

I got season tickets my first two years, but I’ve noticed that once you miss one game, it isn’t cost-effective to get them as a student. So I just attend all the home games ala carte. I hope to provide student insights like that throughout the year.[/quote]

Why so cyncial senior? Did you never hear the legend of Ron Brown? Or even Monnie Brown?

You have much to learn.

[quote=“ronbrownfan, post:11, topic:1463”]Why so cyncial senior? Did you never hear the legend of Ron Brown? Or even Monnie Brown?

You have much to learn.[/quote]

You’re going back to the early 90’s and you’re asking this guy why he’s cynical!? Let’s face it, this guy was probably in middle school the last time this program did anything really meaningful. How can he not be cynical?

[quote="ronbrownfan, post:11, topic:1463"]Why so cyncial senior? Did you never hear the legend of Ron Brown? Or even Monnie Brown?

You have much to learn.[/quote]

You’re going back to the early 90’s and you’re asking this guy why he’s cynical!? Let’s face it, this guy was probably in middle school the last time this program did anything really meaningful. How can he not be cynical?

Well, I was there for the NIT season, and I do remember the Big Ten/NCAA Tournament runs of 2001, but I also remember the late years of the Dunn era and the early days of Eddie.

However, thanks to the non-existence of the Big Ten Network, I wasn’t exposed to much Penn State basketball for the longest time.

[quote=“CynicalSenior@MainCampus, post:1, topic:1463”]Hey, I’ve been reading this board for a while, but never posted. I’m exactly what my username says I am. I’m a third-generation PSUer who has heard stories about the many great moments in Penn State basketball history, such as the time we almost beat Indiana, and that’s basically the only story I heard.

I got season tickets my first two years, but I’ve noticed that once you miss one game, it isn’t cost-effective to get them as a student. So I just attend all the home games ala carte. I hope to provide student insights like that throughout the year.[/quote]

OK, CSMC…as long as you believe some of my “conspiracy theories”…Your In!!