PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Gus Johnson is out at CBS

Two sides couldn’t agree on a new contract…

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/richard_deitsch/05/05/gusjohnson.cbs/

How long before he signs with Disney?

Seems inevitable but I’m praying it doesn’t happen.

Does Mickey’s Club House really need a new character?

According to that article, Fox wants him for college football. I’d rather have him at Disney where I’d get a chance to see his games than Fox…unless that’d mean BTN

I would think it would mean BTN for sure and 12PacN too

Johnson thinks he is bigger than the games he broadcasts

Disagree 100%. I think he’s totally genuine.

And if he wants to try to cash in on his growing reputation, good for him. He deserves it IMO.

He would be a good grab for FOX to kick off their CFB rebirth. Now they’ll need a producer who isn’t obsessed with band and crowd shots.

Maybe FOX will loan him to CBS for March Madness.

[quote="NICU, post:7, topic:2368"]Johnson thinks he is bigger than the games he broadcasts[/quote]

And if he wants to try to cash in on his growing reputation, good for him. He deserves it IMO.

I don’t believe it for a second. He knows what he’s doing yelling and screaming like he does. And he knows he’s made a nice little payday for himself by doing it. That’s all there is to it. Good for him, I’m definitely not mad at him for making it work. But I don’t believe anybody has ever been excited as he acts most of the time.

[quote="NICU, post:7, topic:2368"]Johnson thinks he is bigger than the games he broadcasts[/quote]

I don’t believe it for a second. He knows what he’s doing yelling and screaming like he does. And he knows he’s made a nice little payday for himself by doing it. That’s all there is to it. Good for him, I’m definitely not mad at him for making it work. But I don’t believe anybody has ever been excited as he acts most of the time.

He, like all payed announcers are "entertainers. It’s an “act.” If they make it seem real then they are doing an excellent job!

I’ve read several posts from people that have met Gus in a hotel bar and sat down and talked to him and they all said his excitement for the game is genuine. So I don’t think it is a big head, I actually think it is CSB undervaluing his worth. I’d much rather have Gus announcing the NCAA as the lead broadcaster than Jim Nance and I would be 75% of college BBall fans would also.

He seemed very genuine to me the times I’ve talked to him at the Jordan Center.

It don’t make him a bad person to be a personality. Just is what it is.

I guess I’d rather have someone excitable in the booth calling the game than someone who calls a game like he’s calling golf or is so disinterested in the game he’s telling stories about some guy he met in 1979.

Fox adds Gus Johnson to college football play-by-play team

http://blog.pennlive.com/fanbox/2011/05/fox_adds_gus_johnson_to_colleg.html

Glad to see him still on board with BTN.