PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Great day for B1G Football

:smiley:

too bad PSU nicked their perfect record.

Everything is cyclical.

As for PSU football a change needs to happen soon, preferably after the 2011 season. There just isn’t the drive that there once was and it seems a contempt to maintain the status quo has fallen over the program.

And how do we know this? I’m not “Joe should stay forever” but what do we actually know that over the summer after back-to-back 10 win seasons Penn State was like…“Lets half ass it now”

[quote="byake, post:3, topic:1713"]As for PSU football a change needs to happen soon, preferably after the 2011 season. There just isn't the drive that there once was and it seems a contempt to maintain the status quo has fallen over the program.[/quote]

And how do we know this? I’m not “Joe should stay forever” but what do we actually know that over the summer after back-to-back 10 win seasons Penn State was like…“Lets half ass it now”

We won in spite of some clear dysfunction in our program. Anyone who watches games can see that there is a problem with plays getting relayed to the field on time. We have a less than stellar record against our “peers” meaning ranked teams and with a major renovation to the stadium a couple of years a way interest in the program needs to stay up. Yes we’ve had back to back ten win season’s but since when has that become the goal of Penn State football. We beat the teams we are supposed to beat because of superior talent but lose to teams that hold that same edge over us. We still have the preparation but I feel the play calling/scheme is all that has been holding us back.

So I stand by what I said and feel that a change is needed, it’s gotta happen some time and why not before all those “5-star” recruits are juniors.

[quote="byake, post:3, topic:1713"]As for PSU football a change needs to happen soon, preferably after the 2011 season. There just isn't the drive that there once was and it seems a contempt to maintain the status quo has fallen over the program.[/quote]

We won in spite of some clear dysfunction in our program. Anyone who watches games can see that there is a problem with plays getting relayed to the field on time. We have a less than stellar record against our “peers” meaning ranked teams and with a major renovation to the stadium a couple of years a way interest in the program needs to stay up. Yes we’ve had back to back ten win season’s but since when has that become the goal of Penn State football. We beat the teams we are supposed to beat because of superior talent but lose to teams that hold that same edge over us. We still have the preparation but I feel the play calling/scheme is all that has been holding us back.

So I stand by what I said and feel that a change is needed, it’s gotta happen some time and why not before all those “5-star” recruits are juniors.

So we have clock management issues, and don’t beat Top 10 teams. We might not be “elite” but I don’t think it’s the end of the world. I’ve had the “5 star” argument too many times on BSD to do it again here but I don’t think the lack of big names is always bad

So let me get this straight. Is Penn State in the “Losers” division or in the “Lovable Losers” division.

At least we’re not from the state of Michigan.

The problem with the team this year is they don’t have a QB. Devlin’s transfer left them hanging. They lost because McGloin threw 5 picks not because they were slow getting plays in.

The problem with the team this year is they don’t have a QB. Devlin’s transfer left them hanging. They lost because McGloin threw 5 picks not because they were slow getting plays in.

You really think Devlin would have led this team anywhere they didn’t go this season? I’d say McGloin saved the season from being a complete failure if anything.

He still had a chance to win the game and be the hero after marching them down to the 25 or so on the final drive - he just made a bad pass and the other guys took advantage of it. He had a rough game on shorter passes yesterday for whatever reason, but I don’t think you would have gotten a gustier performance from anybody on that was or is on that roster currently. And I don’t think we would have been playing in a new year’s day bowl with McGloin this year. This was not a very good PSU team and he made them highly competitive this year despite having just one decent receiving option and a mediocre offensive line.

McGloin really wasn’t a liability besides this game, and the second half of Ohio State. Say what you want about Bolden should have started, blah blah, but McGloin wasn’t the reason this team was 7-6, not even close.

[quote=“noobd, post:10, topic:1713”]McGloin really wasn’t a liability besides this game, and the second half of Ohio State. Say what you want about Bolden should have started, blah blah, but McGloin wasn’t the reason this team was 7-6, not even close.[/quote]In Rob’s defense he had the joy of playing at Bama at Iowa as a true fresh. Mclovin got the all mighty Michigan and NW D’s (at home). Neither QB was impressive this year against team’s with a defensive pulse and yes Matt should have got the hook yesterday. He was chucking that thing all over the place ,should have had about 7-8 picks

Bolden could have done better than McGloin in those games, but besides the 1.5 games I mentioned, it wouldn’t have made a difference… if that makes any sense.

So we have clock management issues, and don’t beat Top 10 teams. We might not be “elite” but I don’t think it’s the end of the world. I’ve had the “5 star” argument too many times on BSD to do it again here but I don’t think the lack of big names is always bad

You completely missed my point. I believe we have the talent but we don’t always use that talent properly that’s the problem. There are a lot of plays that leave you scratching your head wonder why we called a dive play for Redd or why we are playing ten yards off the receivers when they are in the red zone (which would work normally when we have a healthy d-line to put immediate pressure on the quarterback but not this year). Above all else the confusion that is clearly visible when a play call is being made is a problem. It seems like Joe wants something run and the guys in the box want something else. Joe is still are coach and he says something then it should be done, I don’t understand why there should 5 to 10 seconds run off the clock fighting over it.

Thank you Noobd! My thoughts exactly For so many people, the easy thing to say when a team is losing is “it’s the qb’s pr coaches fault!” Well, not so fast my friend. The game of football is miles more complex than 1 single player, to place the blame on just the qb’s shoulders really, really makes you look dumb and unknowledgeable.

Zac - your black & white statement of “we lost this game cause of McGloin” is a BS statement. You’re looking for a scapegoat and the qb or coach is always the easiest target. You’re looking at a stat sheet, seeing 5 pics, and immediately saying “he lost this for us” Yep, that’s what my sister would do too. McGloin did not help matters with his pics, but the loss falls on a lot more shoulders than just his. How about Justin Brown, who’s 3+ blatant drops KILLED our momentum? Nope, he did nothing wrong… it’s all on McGloin.

McGloin isn’t the sole reason the team went 7-6, but he is the reason they aren’t 8-5

[quote="noobd, post:10, topic:1713"]McGloin wasn't the reason this team was 7-6, not even close.[/quote] Thank you Noobd! My thoughts exactly For so many people, the easy thing to say when a team is losing is "it's the qb's pr coaches fault!" Well, not so fast my friend. The game of football is miles more complex than 1 single player, to place the blame on just the qb's shoulders really, really makes you look dumb and unknowledgeable.

Zac - your black & white statement of “we lost this game cause of McGloin” is a BS statement. You’re looking for a scapegoat and the qb or coach is always the easiest target. You’re looking at a stat sheet, seeing 5 pics, and immediately saying “he lost this for us” Yep, that’s what my sister would do too. McGloin did not help matters with his pics, but the loss falls on a lot more shoulders than just his. How about Justin Brown, who’s 3+ blatant drops KILLED our momentum? Nope, he did nothing wrong… it’s all on McGloin.

5 INTs, upwards of 4 more dropped INTs…I’d say that’s more of a momentum killer than one dropped pass.

The problem wasn’t that McGloin won the starting job over Bolden. The problem was that the coaching staff kept reporting that they would plan to play both QB’s in games, but then never did. I think this would have played out differently if they had just said to Bolden keep competing, but for now, Matt’s the QB. We’re going with one QB in each game unless there’s an injury. But all the interviews with coaches suggested that they were planning to use both QB’s, and then never did. If I were Bolden, I’d be pretty pissed about it too.

But you do have to take the comments of his father with a grain of salt, or a whole salt mine. He’s speaking emotionally right after the game. I don’t think it changes the decision, but realize that these aren’t words spoken by Rob Bolden Jr. So don’t go blaming the kid for something the father did… wait, that sounds familiar… :wink:

[quote=“ronb89, post:17, topic:1713”]The problem wasn’t that McGloin won the starting job over Bolden. The problem was that the coaching staff kept reporting that they would plan to play both QB’s in games, but then never did. I think this would have played out differently if they had just said to Bolden keep competing, but for now, Matt’s the QB. We’re going with one QB in each game unless there’s an injury. But all the interviews with coaches suggested that they were planning to use both QB’s, and then never did. If I were Bolden, I’d be pretty pissed about it too.

But you do have to take the comments of his father with a grain of salt, or a whole salt mine. He’s speaking emotionally right after the game. I don’t think it changes the decision, but realize that these aren’t words spoken by Rob Bolden Jr. So don’t go blaming the kid for something the father did… wait, that sounds familiar… ;)[/quote]

+1