PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Graham to redshirt

News in the post game radio interview.

ED mentioned he’s having knee problems and they’re planning to redshirt him. Also said he’s developing well and will be an outstanding player.

[quote=“bstanf, post:1, topic:1539”]News in the post game radio interview.

ED mentioned he’s having knee problems and they’re planning to redshirt him. Also said he’s developing well and will be an outstanding player.[/quote]

I was wondering why he didn’t get in the game tonight. Better not have any more injuries. We’re down to Oliver off the bench.

[quote="bstanf, post:1, topic:1539"]News in the post game radio interview.

ED mentioned he’s having knee problems and they’re planning to redshirt him. Also said he’s developing well and will be an outstanding player.[/quote]

I was wondering why he didn’t get in the game tonight. Better not have any more injuries. We’re down to Oliver off the bench.

And Kirkpatrick. Seems like every year we have a walkon that has to give us minutes. Leiner and Highberger were ok. Mayve Kirkpatrick will pull a McGloin.

so next season we will get a boatload of big men - Graham, Borovniak, and the recruiting class.

That’s 4 plus Oliver. Hopefully someone is ready to step up.

[quote="State4Life, post:4, topic:1539"]so next season we will get a boatload of big men - Graham, Borovniak, and the recruiting class.[/quote]

Kind of a shame. Being short handed this year upfront, he could’ve given and gotten some minutes. Think we’ll see a lot of 3g offense, esp if any bigs get two fouls in the first half. Don’t see how it’s avoided. Lots of depth in the backcourt. Jermaine kind of looked okay tonight. Is he lefty?

[quote="State4Life, post:4, topic:1539"]so next season we will get a boatload of big men - Graham, Borovniak, and the recruiting class.[/quote]

Kind of a shame. Being short handed this year upfront, he could’ve given and gotten some minutes. Think we’ll see a lot of 3g offense, esp if any bigs get two fouls in the first half. Don’t see how it’s avoided. Lots of depth in the backcourt. Jermaine kind of looked okay tonight. Is he lefty?

No

I’m glad that you guys cleared up the injury. I was going crazy watching the game because they mentioned that PSU wanted to redshirt Graham and I knew that I saw him play in the first game.

No

Didn’t think so, but he used his left so well on that dribble drive I wasn’t sure. Looked so natural.

I’m surprised we haven’t seen Jermaine in the regular rotation at all this year. I wonder if it’s his defense. Or what else could he not be showing in practice? At the end of the game, he was the only guy on the court that didn’t look out of place with the ball in his hands.

I haven’t seen Graham at all this season, if this is better for him then I don’t mind the redshirt

I am of the belief that teams like Penn State need to redshirt everyone they recruit. I thkn it has been discussed on this forum (or one of the preceding versions) already.

[quote="lynkpsu, post:11, topic:1539"]I haven't seen Graham at all this season, if this is better for him then I don't mind the redshirt[/quote]

I am of the belief that teams like Penn State need to redshirt everyone they recruit. I thkn it has been discussed on this forum (or one of the preceding versions) already.

I like that idea in theory - however, the most attractive attribute that PSU has to sell recruits is a chance at early playing time. If PSU would redshirt every player, it would be much harder to attract recruits. And then if a player gets injured in a later year, the redshirt is already used up.

[quote="lynkpsu, post:11, topic:1539"]I haven't seen Graham at all this season, if this is better for him then I don't mind the redshirt[/quote]

I like that idea in theory - however, the most attractive attribute that PSU has to sell recruits is a chance at early playing time. If PSU would redshirt every player, it would be much harder to attract recruits. And then if a player gets injured in a later year, the redshirt is already used up.

I do not disagree.

I think the NCAA should give every athlete an option to take a “free” redshirt their freshman year. It would give them a chance to mature and adjust to college life. It will also give them a safety net if they get hurt later in their career.

I thought Cam should have redshirted his freshman year. I did not see enough significant playing time that could be split between him and Babb.

I do not disagree.

I think the NCAA should give every athlete an option to take a “free” redshirt their freshman year. It would give them a chance to mature and adjust to college life. It will also give them a safety net if they get hurt later in their career.

I thought Cam should have redshirted his freshman year. I did not see enough significant playing time that could be split between him and Babb.

Good points.

By the way, I know that it used to be that college football players were not allowed to play in the games while they were freshmen (kind of a de facto red-shirt, although I’m not sure they were given a 5th year of eligibility). I don’t know when that ended, but was college basketball the same way? I could definitely see some merit in that.

I do not disagree.

Good points.

By the way, I know that it used to be that college football players were not allowed to play in the games while they were freshmen (kind of a de facto red-shirt, although I’m not sure they were given a 5th year of eligibility). I don’t know when that ended, but was college basketball the same way? I could definitely see some merit in that.

Yes, basketball was the same way. It ended in 1972. Prior to then, schools had freshmen teams that the kids played on,

I remember going up to Beaver Stadium to watch a freshman game in 1968. Penn State was running all over some other school (might have been Army). After one nice run, the running back came back to the huddle and my thought was “it’s a shame this kid isn’t bigger because he’s obviously talented.” Standing next to the FB and QB, the RB looked like he was about 5’6". I peeked down at the program and was xhocked to see him listed at 5’10" 200 lbs. “What the…?” was my reaction. I quickley looked over at the FB and QB stats. FB was 6’3" 230 and the QB was 6’5" 235. My “little” guy wasn’t so little after all. In those days, those sizes were HUGE.

In case you haven’t figured it out by now, the RB was Lydell Mitchell, the FB Franco Harris, and the QB was Bob Parsons who went on to a long NFL career as a tight end/punter for Chicago.

I do not disagree.

Good points.

I’m pretty sure that that still counted against their eligibility.

I do not disagree.

Good points.

I’m pretty sure that that still counted against their eligibility.

Instead of five years to play four, you had four, post freshman, years to play three.

interesting tweet from psustretch…

“dechellis says lions hope to redshirt maryland native jon graham”

i only say it’s interesting because i thought they were going to redshirt him. is there some sort of change of heart going on?

anyone know what prompted this? i assumed it was a non story. it’s probably nothing…

[quote=“LPcreation, post:19, topic:1539”]interesting tweet from psustretch…

“dechellis says lions hope to redshirt maryland native jon graham”

i only say it’s interesting because i thought they were going to redshirt him. is there some sort of change of heart going on?

anyone know what prompted this? i assumed it was a non story. it’s probably nothing…[/quote]

If he redshirts, it will have to be a medical since he played in the Lehigh game. ED might be concerned about whether he will qualify or not.