PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Graduate transfer?

Since we’re faced with an open scholarship we can’t fill next year, does anyone think we’ll pick up a grad transfer?

I know it’s not popular and it would be nice to reward a walk-on but if the opportunity arises can we really turn a kid down. What do you guys think?

It’s an option.

But at the end of the day, in Pat I trust.

[quote=“byake, post:1, topic:3069”]Since we’re faced with an open scholarship we can’t fill next year, does anyone think we’ll pick up a grad transfer?

I know it’s not popular and it would be nice to reward a walk-on but if the opportunity arising can we really turn a kid down. What do you guys think?[/quote]

Collela’s Colella’s earned it. Let him keep it.

[quote="byake, post:1, topic:3069"]Since we're faced with an open scholarship we can't fill next year, does anyone think we'll pick up a grad transfer?

I know it’s not popular and it would be nice to reward a walk-on but if the opportunity arising can we really turn a kid down. What do you guys think?[/quote]

Collela’s earned it. Let him keep it.

Unless a stud 2012 grad takes it, I say let Collela have it and get another stud in 2013.

I think we have a 2012 committ in the waiting ( 5 letter name…should be an easy guess)…AND…another will be committ in 2013!
A “one year 2012-13” ship can be given to a walk-on player.
I know the #s. Another 2013 position will open up.

[quote=“tundra, post:5, topic:3069”]I think we have a 2012 committ in the waiting ( 5 letter name…should be an easy guess)…AND…another will be committ in 2013!
A “one year 2012-13” ship can be given to a walk-on player.
I know the #s. Another 2013 position will open up.[/quote]

If PSU picks up Jeter soon, doesn’t that fill up all schollies with Thorpe and AUstin. Or are you suggesting another schollie opens up beyond Oliver.

I think we have a 2012 committ in the waiting ( 5 letter name..should be an easy guess)..............AND..........another will be committ in 2013! A "one year 2012-13" ship can be given to a walk-on player. I know the #s. Another 2013 position will open up.

If PSU picks up Jeter soon, doesn’t that fill up all schollies with Thorpe and AUstin. Or are you suggesting another schollie opens up beyond Oliver.

We’ll have a ship open for next year even if we get Jeter. I’d prefer we give it to Collela but it would be hard to pass on kid, especially a post, that could round out the team.

[quote="tundra, post:5, topic:3069"]I think we have a 2012 committ in the waiting ( 5 letter name..should be an easy guess)..............AND..........another will be committ in 2013! A "one year 2012-13" ship can be given to a walk-on player. I know the #s. Another 2013 position will open up.[/quote]

We’ll have a ship open for next year even if we get Jeter. I’d prefer we give it to Collela but it would be hard to pass on kid, especially a post, that could round out the team.

If it doesn’t take away from us getting another impact player give him a 1 year ship. Although Nick does give 110% he’s going to have to actually pick up his production on the floor if he wants to continue to be in the rotation next year imho
I think we have a 2012 committ in the waiting ( 5 letter name..should be an easy guess)..............AND..........another will be committ in 2013! A "one year 2012-13" ship can be given to a walk-on player. I know the #s. Another 2013 position will open up.

Yes.

[quote="tundra, post:5, topic:3069"]I think we have a 2012 committ in the waiting ( 5 letter name..should be an easy guess)..............AND..........another will be committ in 2013! A "one year 2012-13" ship can be given to a walk-on player. I know the #s. Another 2013 position will open up.[/quote]

Yes.

Ackerman?

Yes.

Ackerman?

care-frontation? :o

There are several maybes! Let’s just see what happens.

I agree, speculating about who will get run off is unseemly and unnecessary. Most programs lose a player a year, so “natural causes” is likely to open a scholarship up before 2014 2013. I’d only give out one this year, though. That still leaves the two that are spoken for next year, and we won’t see any more pressure to get rid of kids.

I actually think Ackerman fits Chambers system rather well. From what I’ve seen he’s pretty skilled.

Well this a good point of Lar’s you never stop recruiting statement. PSU can bring in more 2 kid with this incoming class that wasn’t projected when Chamber’s took the job. Right now we know Jeter seems to be target number 1. Chambers may have a few number 2a, 2b, targets that he could turn up the recruiting on. Or he can save the scholarship and go after someone for the next class. Both thoughts have good pro’s and con’s and never know when a “natural causes” scholarship opens up.

Is Colella a senior next season? I can see giving him a scholarship for class balancing means and as a reward, he has played really well in his roll and is a big part of the team.

I didn’t really like how ED always seemed to fill the roster rather than hang on to a scholarship. If we think Jeter can play, that’s one thing. But just sending out a flyer - I’m not such a big fan. Particularly since this staff has some recruiting momentum.

[quote=“Ajk822, post:14, topic:3069”]I actually think Ackerman fits Chambers system rather well. From what I’ve seen he’s pretty skilled.[/quote] I think Pat has played a total of 24 mins all year going 0-3 from the floor. What exactly have you seen?

[quote="Ajk822, post:14, topic:3069"]I actually think Ackerman fits Chambers system rather well. From what I've seen he's pretty skilled.[/quote] I think Pat has played a total of 24 mins all year going 0-3 from the floor. What exactly have you seen?
Him warmup prior to every game. There was a noticeable difference between him and Alexis, as I've said on this board before. It obviously isn't me saying he's going to be great, but he looked like he had good hands and a surprisingly smooth jumpshot. He's also got a huge wingspans, which isn't really related but is also a plus.
[quote="Ajk822, post:14, topic:3069"]I actually think Ackerman fits Chambers system rather well. From what I've seen he's pretty skilled.[/quote] I think Pat has played a total of 24 mins all year going 0-3 from the floor. What exactly have you seen?
Him warmup prior to every game. There was a noticeable difference between him and Alexis, as I've said on this board before. It obviously isn't me saying he's going to be great, but he looked like he had good hands and a surprisingly smooth jumpshot. He's also got a huge wingspans, which isn't really related but is also a plus.
alrighty then

Yes.