PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Graduate Transfer Exemption

Graduate basketball transfers are offering NCAA teams immediate help
By Associated Press
Friday, January 27, 2012

Was just wondering others thought of the “graduate transfer exemption.” I’ll have to do a bit more reading & thinking about it to ty and find the long term harm some coaches are talking about. However, on it’s face, I have no problem with it.

Was going to post this. Good quotes here from Big Ten coaches. Pretty ballsy stand by Bo Ryan considering how much their football team benefited from it.

http://qctimes.com/sports/college/big-10/iowa/brenner/brenner-mccaffery-colleagues-despise-post-grad-transfer/article_4df71032-4771-11e1-b973-0019bb2963f4.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I like the spirit of the rule. But you can always find a grad program “unavailable at your current school.”

I’d be curious to see how much the NCAA enforces that. Doubtful they do at all.

[quote=“eric17, post:2, topic:3021”]Was going to post this. Good quotes here from Big Ten coaches. Pretty ballsy stand by Bo Ryan considering how much their football team benefited from it.

http://qctimes.com/sports/college/big-10/iowa/brenner/brenner-mccaffery-colleagues-despise-post-grad-transfer/article_4df71032-4771-11e1-b973-0019bb2963f4.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/quote]

I’m all for it. There aren’t many rules that actually benefit a player and this is one. It’s certainly an incentive for a kid to get his degree and I’m pretty much in favor of anything that does that.

At the moment, I can’t really disagree with it. Some coaches seem to fear that players will game the system. In order for a player to become a ‘free agent’ as the opponents call them, they must first obtain their degree. I believe education is buried somewhere in the goal of college athletics. If a player can game the system by getting even more coursework on the team’s dime, I’m all for it.

In fact, the biggest downside that I can see is that some coaches will intentionally hinder player’s coursework.

[quote=“timauman, post:5, topic:3021”]At the moment, I can’t really disagree with it. Some coaches seem to fear that players will game the system. In order for a player to become a ‘free agent’ as the opponents call them, they must first obtain their degree. I believe education is buried somewhere in the goal of college athletics. If a player can game the system by getting even more coursework on the team’s dime, I’m all for it.

In fact, the biggest downside that I can see is that some coaches will intentionally hinder player’s coursework.[/quote]

It’s seems “management”, the NECSAPAN, have plenty of rules it bends to it’s advantage. How about the # of games played rule that is supposed to protect the players. Is there a bigger joke!

Will some players take advantage of this rule ? Sure…Power to the people/players.

[quote=“timauman, post:5, topic:3021”]At the moment, I can’t really disagree with it. Some coaches seem to fear that players will game the system. In order for a player to become a ‘free agent’ as the opponents call them, they must first obtain their degree. I believe education is buried somewhere in the goal of college athletics. If a player can game the system by getting even more coursework on the team’s dime, I’m all for it.

In fact, the biggest downside that I can see is that some coaches will intentionally hinder player’s coursework.[/quote]

Funny how the coaches disagree with it. After all, they can pack up and leave with no penalty. Why not the kids? timauman and Lar are right, how could this rule, which benefits a kid who did it the right way and got his degree, be a bad thing?

After all, the ironic thing is that another thread talks about “carefrontations” . So how does McCaffrey have the gull to say…

I'm a firm believer[b] if a guy's at one place and he's being treated the right way and he's having a great career, he shouldn't have the option to go somewhere else[/b]."
....but it's OK to tell a kid to take a hike if he's not producing?