PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Gottlieb lists PSU has a surprise team with a shot to win a conference title

It is good to see I am not the only person who thinks PSU has a shot to make a run this week.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=ncbexperts&id=6184642

Well, we’ve seen it before…when all four seniors chip in, this team can beat anyone in the conference.

Just when they don’t…

They absolutely can make some noise in the tourney. I think the two X factors are Jones and Marshall. Jones has to be a more consistent contributor and Marshall creates offense by slashing.

I’m not as confident… The team was playing much better defensively in January. There must have been 4 or 5 times where Minny scored on a back screen or something, and Brooks looked around in anger over a missed assignment. It just seems like there are too many breakdownds on Defense lately. It could just be that teams have us scouted better now, I don’t know.

Do we have a shot, sure… But I would have felt really good about it if we had played it 5 weeks ago. Now, I’m just thinking a Sat game will be the best we can hope for.

Getting by a pesky Indiana team will be hard enough. I was hoping for an Iowa matchup. While Indiana is probably the least talented team in the b10 they will play as hard as anyone.

I’m much happier with Indiana than Iowa…Iowa’s suddenly got a little confidence.

Indiana just lost by twenty while iowa beat purdue…i’d rather take my chances on indiana

We should be able to beat either of them I just worry about Indiana for some reason more than Iowa. Maybe its just me :-\

no, no, no. “Just go away” with that thinking :wink:

yes, yes, yes.

If this past weekend’s games are any indication. Indy is sucking on fumes, while Iowa is looking like giant killers. And at this time of year, I sort of believe in karma. And with PSU’s recent history with Iowa (football/basketball, though the wrestling team got 'em :)), I’d look to steer clear of the black and gold. I’d like nothing more than to see Iowa and Illinois take out both Michigan schools, while PSU wins two. That alone should solidify PSU’s selection come Sunday.

Winning the whole thing…unless Iowa pulls the double whammy and beats Purdue for the second time in a week or MSU finally wakes up from their season-long slumber to down Iowa/Purdue, PSU is probably not getting past Saturday…and if they do, unless Illinois (Michigan) shock OSU, winning on Sunday is but a pipe dream. Have you seen OSU lately :o Diebler is 499 of his last 500 from 3’s or something like that.

Let’s just take care of Indy and go from there.

Much as I love this team and these players, I don’t have much faith they can pull this off. The top 3 in this conference are very tough, I like our chances against anybody else in the conference but getting through 1 or 2 of those big top 3 is going to be a real test. Tougher than we’re likely to see until the third round of the NCAA tournament.

I also have a bad feeling about Indiana. But I can totally empathize with coaches. As soon as someone is up for next game, all you can do is imagine the many ways they can beat you.

In January I liked our chances against anyone. I’m with Craftsy now, a good bit of distance between us and OSU, Purdue and Wiscy if any of them are playing really well when we catch them.

[quote=“tjb, post:11, topic:2065”]I also have a bad feeling about Indiana. But I can totally empathize with coaches. As soon as someone is up for next game, all you can do is imagine the many ways they can beat you.

In January I liked our chances against anyone. I’m with Craftsy now, a good bit of distance between us and OSU, Purdue and Wiscy if any of them are playing really well when we catch them.[/quote]
What’s Wisky going to be like on Friday (assuming we get there)? It will be their first game after a 30 pt blowout to OSU. They might be uber-focued for us. Not good carma.

Well it is entirely possible we might have to win the whole thing to get in the dance. What concerns me is that Indiana will essentially be the home team for our game against them. We better win because we are better than they are, but it will probably be closer than it should be. The fact that we have such a short bench is also a concern looking ahead. If we do get by Indiana we will probably have some tired legs the next day against a very tough Wisconsin team.

And I remember we all thought that two years ago in a similar circumstance vs Indiana in the 6 v 11 game.
And PSU took care of business 66-51. True, Indy is a better team than they were then. But, other than Cornley, this PSU team might be hungrier than in 2009. I like our chances to comfortably come out of there with a “W”.

I sense another conspiracy!!! We are the only team that would have to play both the “home” teams to win the Big Ten tournament. :wink:

What concerns me is that Indiana will essentially be the home team for our game against them.

I sense another conspiracy!!! We are the only team that would have to play both the “home” teams to win the Big Ten tournament. :wink:

“They” would never do that to Michigan!!!

[quote="bballguy, post:13, topic:2065"]What concerns me is that Indiana will essentially be the home team for our game against them.[/quote]

“They” would never do that to Michigan!!!

Plus, if Tubby had to do it, the committee would count the wins as road wins, not neutral court wins!

What concerns me is that Indiana will essentially be the home team for our game against them.

Damn that B10…conspiracy!!! The refs screwed us all year so we’d have to play the “home” team in the first round of the tourney. :smiley:

Odds on possible outcomes from RPI forecast. The 16-14 odds are too high. Indiana has a really inflated Sagarin predictor because of some early season blowout wins over cream puffs. Even without that the chances of 18 wins or better is about 12%. Correcting for that I think it is about 16%.

20-13 RPI 24.9 0.32%
19-14 RPI 33.5 2.09%
18-14 RPI 43.2 9.47%
17-14 RPI 58.2 45.20%
16-14 RPI 71.7 42.91%

Just take it one game at a time. Beat Indiana, then worry about Wisconsin.

I think they will get in with two. I also think the Injuns are gonna lay a hurting on the Wolverines.