Gotta give Izzo credit for creativity

A team slumber party before the Purdue game may have been a difference-maker: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/It-took-a-slumber-party-to-awaken-sputtering-Mic?urn=ncaab,225341

Yeah the guy can coach!!
check out his bio:

After graduating from Northern Michigan, Izzo was head coach at Ishpeming High School for one season. He then took an assistant coaching job at Northern Michigan University from 1979 to 1983. Izzo was then named a part-time assistant at Michigan State in September 1983. After a short two month stay as an assistant coach at University of Tulsa Izzo returned to Michigan State when assistant Mike Deane left to become head coach at Siena College. Prior to the 1990–91 season, then-current coach Jud Heathcote elevated Izzo to associate head coach. After Heathcote’s retirement following the 1994-95 season and upon both his and the Michigan State Athletic Director’s recommendation, Izzo was named the new head coach of men’s basketball for MSU.

I don’t think he would have DEMANDED a huge $ contract when he was first hired!

Remember it CAN be done at PSU. We just need the right (correct) man!

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:910”]Yeah the guy can coach!!
check out his bio:

After graduating from Northern Michigan, Izzo was head coach at Ishpeming High School for one season. He then took an assistant coaching job at Northern Michigan University from 1979 to 1983. Izzo was then named a part-time assistant at Michigan State in September 1983. After a short two month stay as an assistant coach at University of Tulsa Izzo returned to Michigan State when assistant Mike Deane left to become head coach at Siena College. Prior to the 1990–91 season, then-current coach Jud Heathcote elevated Izzo to associate head coach. After Heathcote’s retirement following the 1994-95 season and upon both his and the Michigan State Athletic Director’s recommendation, Izzo was named the new head coach of men’s basketball for MSU.

Remember it CAN be done at PSU. We just need the right (correct) man![/quote]

Much love for Tom Izzo and the MSU program.

But there’s also a little someone by the name of Earvin who has something to do with the success of Michigan State. As Tevye sang in “Fiddler on the Roof”…“TRADITION…TRADITION”

And also a guy by the name of Mateen Cleaves.

Also, looking at the head coaching carousel that has been going on @ MSU for many years now. I bet for years now MSU football fans gave been saying “it CAN be done at MSU. We just need the right (correct) man!”

BTW, neat story BobK, thanks for sharing.

I’m with Izzo on this…the credit goes to the players. This wasn’t Tom’s idea.

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:910"]Yeah the guy can coach!! check out his bio:

But there’s also a little someone by the name of Earvin who has something to do with the success of Michigan State. As Tevye sang in “Fiddler on the Roof”…“TRADITION…TRADITION”

Not to mention the area of Flint being a goldmine for basketball players there for awhile. Where does Penn State have a similar area to start pulling from?

Speaking of Izzo…http://twitter.com/detnewsMSU/status/9907401084

[quote=“CAPPY, post:4, topic:910”]And also a guy by the name of Mateen Cleaves.

Also, looking at the head coaching carousel that has been going on @ MSU for many years now. I bet for years now MSU football fans gave been saying “it CAN be done at MSU. We just need the right (correct) man!”

BTW, neat story BobK, thanks for sharing.[/quote]
Great point Cappy about MSU football. Why, why, why…is it impossible. NO NO NO it’s not. The football coach now seems to have strong inroads into intercity kids plus with Dickrod at Mecheatum…well…he may be the one.

Never thought Cleaves was that good. But I have loved MSU hoops. ALL the kids seem to really hustle, share the ball, play D and rebound like wild-men! When you have quality team after quality team after quality team, I credit the coach!

Remember today’s famous coaches very yesterday’s nobodies!!

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:910"]Yeah the guy can coach!! check out his bio:

Jud Heathcote deserves a little credit too. He is a Hall of Fame coach. Izzo took over a well stocked pantry not an empty cupboard.

Haha, that’s awesome. Very flattering for Battle if he was to find out about that too.

Imagine if Izzo was to face Hazell? Blue line at half court.

MSU had a pretty good f-ball coach there for a while… What was his name… ummm… Saban, that’s it!! ;D

They had the right guy, in all but one respect. He wouldn’t STAY! Nothing like taking a parting shot by stating that MSU would always be 2nd fiddle in Michigan to UM.

Begs the age old question, if we were to hire the basketball equivalent to Saban, would he stick around in Happy Valley??

[quote="eric17, post:8, topic:910"]Speaking of Izzo....[url=http://twitter.com/detnewsMSU/status/9907401084]http://twitter.com/detnewsMSU/status/9907401084[/url][/quote] Haha, that's awesome. Very flattering for Battle if he was to find out about that too.

I wonder if Battle can use that to his advantage? In other words, if they are going to be guarding him 4 feet past the 3-point line, it should be easier to drive by his defender(s).

[quote="eric17, post:8, topic:910"]Speaking of Izzo....[url=http://twitter.com/detnewsMSU/status/9907401084]http://twitter.com/detnewsMSU/status/9907401084[/url][/quote] Haha, that's awesome. Very flattering for Battle if he was to find out about that too.

I wonder if Battle can use that to his advantage? In other words, if they are going to be guarding him 4 feet past the 3-point line, it should be easier to drive by his defender(s).

Or to take shots 5 feet beyond the arc.

[quote="CAPPY, post:4, topic:910"]And also a guy by the name of Mateen Cleaves.

Great point Cappy about MSU football. Why, why, why…is it impossible. NO NO NO it’s not. The football coach now seems to have strong inroads into intercity kids plus with Dickrod at Mecheatum…well…he may be the one.

Never thought Cleaves was that good. But I have loved MSU hoops. ALL the kids seem to really hustle, share the ball, play D and rebound like wild-men! When you have quality team after quality team after quality team, I credit the coach!

Tundra, I am with you. I get sick and tired of hearing all of the excuses about why it is so hard to succeed here. Our location. The Big 5 in Philly. No tradition. Football school. Blah, blah, blah. Enough already. I’m not going to say that there is no truth to any of that but this defeatist attitude is sickening. It can be done. So at least try to get it done. If Plan A doesn’t pan out go to Plan B, and then Plan C etc. until you get it right. For too long it seems like Penn State only has a Plan A.

Tundra, I am with you. I get sick and tired of hearing all of the excuses about why it is so hard to succeed here. Our location. The Big 5 in Philly. No tradition. Football school. Blah, blah, blah. Enough already. I’m not going to say that there is no truth to any of that but this defeatist attitude is sickening. It can be done. So at least try to get it done. If Plan A doesn’t pan out go to Plan B, and then Plan C etc. until you get it right. For too long it seems like Penn State only has a Plan A.

Although I’m not a NASCAR fan, I do like to use this analogy…

Let’s say you have an owner of a NASCAR team. He enters a car in the races, but all he spends in enough to buy a jazzed up Camaro he sees being raced up and down the Carlisle Pike in Mechanicsburg. When he doesn’t seem to be very competitive in race after race, does it help to hire another driver?

If the “owner” is not willing to invest money and effort into BUILDING a better car, it doesn’t matter who is behind the wheel.

Let’s say you have an owner of a NASCAR team. He enters a car in the races, but all he spends in enough to buy a jazzed up Camaro he sees being raced up and down the Carlisle Pike in Mechanicsburg. When he doesn’t seem to be very competitive in race after race, does it help to hire another driver?

If the “owner” is not willing to invest money and effort into BUILDING a better car, it doesn’t matter who is behind the wheel.

Or maybe we could use horse racing as an example. An owner has this little horse that no one believes can win-THEN he finds a jockey who has a way of training that horse, develops that horse to get better each outing, has a rapport with that horse, defies the odds of those who say it can’t be done. That horse is too small, blood lines aren’t quite right, isolated location for training, no history-MINE THAT BIRD

It’s a good story until you consider the fact that the owners bailed on Chantal Sutherland once they hit it big and got to the Triple Crown, putting Borel up. And when he didn’t want the Preakness mount, still looked past Sutherland to Smith.

But of course you have a point, that being that it can be done. However you’ll have a much easier time training a horse with the best bloodlines (or basketball tradition) to make it big than finding one that’s a little too small or with weaker bloodlines. Of course, you could always pump some drugs into it (hiring a shady coach) to give yourself a boost. But I’d rather root for a horse like Mine that Bird or an owner like Chip Wooley who is an underdog and does things the right way.

Maybe PSU will have a lot of similiarities to Mine that Bird after next season. After all, he did finish last in the BC Juvenile at age 2, then turned around and won the Derby at age 3. Big turnarounds are possible. ;D

Tell me Skeeza, when do you expect this team with Ed to get its next NCAA bid? Nothing has changed in forever with the “owner” yet between about 1991 and 2002 PSU managed to get 3 bids, all while having an owner unwilling to invest in building a better car.

You can pick up hot chicks driving “basic” cars. I romanced by future wife while driving a 15 year old Pinto!
Have to be a good “Salesman!”