PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Good JoePa Story From Pat's PC Today from BWI Lion's Den

I’m more and more convinced that Pat has the right stuff.

You might have to be a Lion’s Den subscriber to see this.

http://www.bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1322287

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:3007”]I’m more and more convinced that Pat has the right stuff.

You might have to be a Lion’s Den subscriber to see this.

http://www.bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1322287[/quote]

It’s free for everyone.

Thanks for passing on, that’s a great read.

"Last time we spoke, we were just talking about our program and how he can help us and what he would like to see the direction of the program go in," Chambers said. "He was very committed to Penn State, to the Big Ten, and very much in love with this university.

“Truly, every one of these student athletes and students and community and alums that came through here, he really cared. I don’t mean to be too over the top here, but just sitting with him, you could feel it. That passion for Penn State. That’s going to stick with me, and hopefully I show the same, because I do care about Penn State.”

I hope that FINALLY puts to rest the mindless accusation that Paterno did not want a hoops program that would be decent, because it might overshadow the football program

[quote=“Skeeza, post:4, topic:3007”][quote=Chambers fondly recalls visit with Paternos]
“Last time we spoke, we were just talking about our program and how he can help us and what he would like to see the direction of the program go in,” Chambers said. "He was very committed to Penn State, to the Big Ten, and very much in love with this university.

“Truly, every one of these student athletes and students and community and alums that came through here, he really cared. I don’t mean to be too over the top here, but just sitting with him, you could feel it. That passion for Penn State. That’s going to stick with me, and hopefully I show the same, because I do care about Penn State.”
[/quote]

I hope that FINALLY puts to rest the mindless accusation that Paterno did not want a hoops program that would be decent, because it might overshadow the football program[/quote]
Amen! Look at all the stories from past players who commented on how supportive Joe was. Read uncleLar’s quotes from Tom Hovasse. How does that happen if Joe’s trying to hold back the program. He did all he could, short of grabbing the clipboard himself.

Lar can probably confirm this, but I recall that in the early days of the BJC, Joe was almost always in attendance for hoops games. He stopped going because he felt he was becoming a distraction - - i.e. the crowd and the media was paying as much attention to his as they were to the game.

Joe’s story to Pat about guarding Cousy in high school was priceless.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:6, topic:3007”]Lar can probably confirm this, but I recall that in the early days of the BJC, Joe was almost always in attendance for hoops games. He stopped going because he felt he was becoming a distraction - - i.e. the crowd and the media was paying as much attention to his as they were to the game.

Joe’s story to Pat about guarding Cousy in high school was priceless.[/quote]

I love the story of Joe guarding Cousy.

“I said coach, I played against him, I can guard him. He scored 10 points in 2 minutes and coach took me out and said “you did a hell of a job.””

[quote=“Great Santini, post:6, topic:3007”]Lar can probably confirm this, but I recall that in the early days of the BJC, Joe was almost always in attendance for hoops games. He stopped going because he felt he was becoming a distraction - - i.e. the crowd and the media was paying as much attention to his as they were to the game.

Paterno guarded Cousy in college not high school. Cousy played for Holy Cross and the Crusaders went 6-1 against Brown while Cousy was playing. However, the one loss to Brown was in one of the two years that Paterno lettered for Brown. So just maybe Joe did a little better against Cousy than he let on. Then again, Brown also lost a game to Holy Cross 90-35 while Joe was playing - maybe that’s the game that Joe remembers more vividly.

I can confirm this.

I was an usher in the BJC when it first opened.

He would sit in a luxury box, don’t know which one it was, but it was one of the ones behind the student section.

It was not uncommon for the students to see Paterno, turn around and start chanting “Jo-o-o-o Pa-a-a-a” while doing a bowing motion in his direction.

Joe would often be around for big games. He was there a lot in 95-96, he sat a few rows behind me at the NCAA game against Arkansas in 96, was at the NIT in 09, etc. You wouldn’t see him too often at a non-conference game against Mount St Mary’s, but he was there rooting them on in big games. Not a knock on him, he clearly had plenty else going on (and probably better things to do than many others that stayed home until the team was winning).

He used to show up once and awhile when the games were at Rec Hall. He’d usually sit in the row right below the track.