PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Good BWI article on Newbill

Can’t wait to see him and Frazier together this year!

http://www.bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1372952

A good quote “best backcourt in the country” can go a LONG way in drumming up positive publicity!

I agree, that was a smart move by Chambers. It is a quote that the talking heads will pick up on and be frequently repeated during games next year. That will help with year-end awards, and possibly even tourney selection (maybe a stretch, but you’d think the tourney committee would want to include the team with the best backcourt in the country if they were on the bubble).

It may also be used as bulletin board material for B1G opponents, who will think that it is not only a false statement, but try to prove that they are better than the hyped best backcourt in the country.

All in all, I think it is a net positive.

A good quote "best backcourt in the country" can go a LONG way in drumming up positive publicity!

I agree, that was a smart move by Chambers. It is a quote that the talking heads will pick up on and be frequently repeated during games next year. That will help with year-end awards, and possibly even tourney selection (maybe a stretch, but you’d think the tourney committee would want to include the team with the best backcourt in the country if they were on the bubble).

It may also be used as bulletin board material for B1G opponents, who will think that it is not only a false statement, but try to prove that they are better than the hyped best backcourt in the country.

I can’t see this being much bulletin board stuff. What coach doesn’t think his players are the best – at least out loud?

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:3311"]A good quote "best backcourt in the country" can go a LONG way in drumming up positive publicity![/quote]

I can’t see this being much bulletin board stuff. What coach doesn’t think his players are the best – at least out loud?

You may be right … I guess it would be different if the players said it. But what if the TV announcers or BTN studio crews say it? Might provide some extra motivation.

[quote=“blue2blue, post:3, topic:3311”]It may also be used as bulletin board material for B1G opponents, who will think that it is not only a false statement, but try to prove that they are better than the hyped best backcourt in the country.

All in all, I think it is a net positive.[/quote]

Have you ever considered that it might more than a marketing ploy - it might be true?

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when Chambers makes it to the NCAA tournament next season.

[quote="blue2blue, post:3, topic:3311"]It may also be used as bulletin board material for B1G opponents, who will think that it is not only a false statement, but try to prove that they are better than the hyped best backcourt in the country.

Have you ever considered that it might more than a marketing ploy - it might be true?

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when Chambers makes it to the NCAA tournament next season.

It may or may not be true, and Chambers may or may not genuinely believe it. But he certainly hasn’t watched film on 300+ D1 hoops teams to know whether it is literally a true statement or not. Add to that all the new players around the country, and there is no way that PC would know where they will actually fit in during the upcoming season. I think he believes his guys are really, really good, and he may find it hard to fathom that there could be a better tandem out there.

He is starting the process of promoting them - getting their names out there, and getting a nationwide discussion started about how good they are. That’s a good thing for a coach to do regardless of whether or not he truly believes they will literally be the best backcourt in the country.

[quote="blue2blue, post:3, topic:3311"]It may also be used as bulletin board material for B1G opponents, who will think that it is not only a false statement, but try to prove that they are better than the hyped best backcourt in the country.

It may or may not be true, and Chambers may or may not genuinely believe it. But he certainly hasn’t watched film on 300+ D1 hoops teams to know whether it is literally a true statement or not. Add to that all the new players around the country, and there is no way that PC would know where they will actually fit in during the upcoming season. I think he believes his guys are really, really good, and he may find it hard to fathom that there could be a better tandem out there.

He is starting the process of promoting them - getting their names out there, and getting a nationwide discussion started about how good they are. That’s a good thing for a coach to do regardless of whether or not he truly believes they will literally be the best backcourt in the country.

You’re both right. Chambers knows his guards having Coached future pros and accurately predicted Tim’s coming out party last year as one of the top PG in the country. He knows his guards.

One other point is that Chambers made his comments to drum up support and attendance by alumni. He made his comments to alumni groups, so he was basically saying “We’ve got the best backcourt in the country - you don’t want to miss out - come watch us play this year.”