PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Good article on Battle/Buie and this season

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Hoop-dreams-a-battle-980117.php

Thanks for posting, Tom. Not surprising at this point, I guess, but it doesn’t sound like Taran will be back on the team at all this season. Hopefully he receives the wake-up call, though, and seizes a second chance with PSU.

You’re right on the no return, at least how it sounds. Not sure why Ed made it “indefinite.” I liked this…“Taran is still my favorite player, my best friend,” Battle said.

thanks for the post. thats the most “published” information ive seen on taran’s situation so far. unfortunately, it sounds like its already been decided he wolnt play again this seaseon…but, it also sounds like he might get a second chance here next year, should he decide to take it…

[quote=“Crisp(in)Rain, post:4, topic:1845”]thanks for the post. thats the most “published” information ive seen on taran’s situation so far. unfortunately, it sounds like its already been decided he wolnt play again this seaseon…but, it also sounds like he might get a second chance here next year, should he decide to take it…[/quote]I don’t think its a question of will he play again ,its a question of where. I hope he sticks with PSU and gives it another go

[quote="Crisp(in)Rain, post:4, topic:1845"]thanks for the post. thats the most "published" information ive seen on taran's situation so far. unfortunately, it sounds like its already been decided he wolnt play again this seaseon...but, it also sounds like he might get a second chance here next year, [b]should he decide to take it[/b]...[/quote]I don't think its a question of will he play again ,its a question of where. I hope he sticks with PSU and gives it another go
With his family here, I hope if he does turn it around that he stays.

Nice article, my two alma maters. :slight_smile: I still find it jolting when I don’t recognize TU bylines, even though I left the paper 18 years ago.

Maybe…just maybe…Battle will lead this team to the NCAA title this year and on the bus after the game Taran will once again “commit to PSU” for his remaining three years ;D

By then, this team will add a dominant one-and-doner for the 2011-12 season.

Wake up NittanyIllini…WAKE UP…

I’m sorry folks, just a dream.

[quote="Crisp(in)Rain, post:4, topic:1845"]thanks for the post. thats the most "published" information ive seen on taran's situation so far. unfortunately, it sounds like its already been decided he wolnt play again this seaseon...but, it also sounds like he might get a second chance here next year, [b]should he decide to take it[/b]...[/quote]I don't think its a question of will he play again ,its a question of where. I hope he sticks with PSU and gives it another go

yeah i agree, that was the point i tried to make. some of the lines in that article it sound like there could be a 2nd chance at PSU, and some make it sound like that chance will be elsewhere. this team will really be hurting next year if buie leaves.

yeah i agree, that was the point i tried to make. some of the lines in that article it sound like there could be a 2nd chance at PSU, and some make it sound like that chance will be elsewhere. this team will really be hurting next year if buie leaves.

True. I think with/without Buie this team will really be hurting next year. Having him around could make the pain a little less severe

And the paper’s gone downhill ever since. But they did name the Knickerbocker, er Pepsi Center. :wink:

[quote="tjb, post:7, topic:1845"]Nice article, my two alma maters. :) I still find it jolting when I don't recognize TU bylines, even though I left the paper 18 years ago.[/quote]

And the paper’s gone downhill ever since. But they did name the Knickerbocker, er Pepsi Center. :wink:

I wish that were true! The current editor has improved the paper markedly, even with a staff that has to be less than half the size it was when I got there (at the peak of newspaper monopoly cash). But our staff worked hard to help uncover the scandal that put the county exec who built the arena and the architect in prison for corruption. That the building now bears the TU’s name must drive them crazy.

True. I think with/without Buie this team will really be hurting next year. Having him around could make the pain a little less severe

exactly…then you start to think, maybe if the team can pull off the run to the dance they could pick up an impact recruit in the spring signing period…add that to buie & ross, and maybe next year can at least be a respectable rebuilding season. there are a lot of things at work right now and in the next few months that will have a huge impact on the direction the program will go in the near future. build off the momentum of the Talor Battle era or back to the cellar?

hmmm

exactly…then you start to think, maybe if the team can pull off the run to the dance they could pick up an impact recruit in the spring signing period…add that to buie & ross, and maybe next year can at least be a respectable rebuilding season. there are a lot of things at work right now and in the next few months that will have a huge impact on the direction the program will go in the near future. build off the momentum of the Talor Battle era or back to the cellar?

I think regardless of what happens with Taran , next year is going to be a rebuilding year no matter which way you spin it and we will be back down or near the cellar. Have you seen some of the recruiting classes coming in to the b10 next year?

I think regardless of what happens with Taran , next year is going to be a rebuilding year no matter which way you spin it and we will be back down or near the cellar. Have you seen some of the recruiting classes coming in to the b10 next year?

Hell, have you looked at ours?

I agree next year will be a rebuilding year no matter what. Reread my previous post…notice my most optimistic view was a “respectable rebuilding year”. ie instead of going 1-17 in the B1G, maybe 6-12 at best (esp if we play NW, Iowa, & Nebraska twice). Haven’t seen the OOC schedule for 11-12 yet, but if its easier perhaps we could find a way to win 8 games, putting the team at 14 wins. Relative to the past, I would consider 14 wins a respectable rebuilding year for this team.

Good article. I sincerely hope Taran decides to stick it out with us and gets his act together. Maybe having something like this happen is what he needed as a wake up call. It really does sadden me to think that they may have missed their chance at playing together most of this year, that’s something they can never get back in all likelihood.

But that doesn’t mean the fans here aren’t more than willing to support Taran the same way we have Talor for 4 years now - in fact, I think there’s very little else we’d enjoy more than seeing this story turn into a happy ending for both Taran and the program. All great stories need conflict and hurdles for the protagonist - he’s got 3 years left to make one hell of a second (or third, or fourth :wink: )act with us. I hope he is able and willing to do so.

It would be nice if Taran learns from this and does stay with the program. I think his heart is in the right place but he just hasn’t faced a situation where he’s gotta learn from his actions. I’m not always a fan of Ed’s basketball decisions but I will never question his devotion to his players. Ed seems to be testing Taran’s commitment to the team and I guess we’ll find out at the end of the semester.

Have to give Ed credit. He’s willing to risk losing his most highly touted recruit ever as well as a possible sparkplug from an otherwise weak bench during a rare NCAA tournament push to teach the kid some life lessons. Ed may have his faults but you can’t say he doesn’t practice what he preaches when he talks about running the program "the right way."
Hopefully Taran has it in him to stay.