PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Geno Thorpe

I got to “eyeball” Geno last night in Shaler’s game at Ambridge. The game itself was a blowout. 59-13 at the half. I think it was 70-17 in the middle of the 3rd. Geno was subbed for at this point. I believed he would not return so I left. Final was 77-23. Pgh. newspapers had no news of Geno stats.
By my count he had 24 points in about 14 minutes of PT at the midpoint of the 3rd quarter when I left.
My summary: Geno is the “real deal.” Just sensational. Good size. He looked legit 6-2 or 6-3. Super quick. GREAT hops. He had 5 great dunks last night, including his high lite reel “reverse dunk!” He just moves so smoothly! Geno has excellent ball skills. Ball seems to be “on a string.” Very good court awareness and seemed to be a “team player.” It’s funny; his points just came so easily it not like he was forcing anything. He had several very nice assists.
I also like his jump shot. He really seems to get his right hand on top of the ball. Great rotation on his shot. His shots had a very nice consistent arc. It seems all of his foul shots (including warm ups) were dead on perfect!
I’m trying hard to think of weaknesses. It’s not easy. He didn’t rebound much last night BUT he didn’t need to. As noted, this game was very "one sided."
To me, Geno may be the “most athletic” PSU hoop recruit ever! Scary to think how good he will be in 2 years time. I just hope Geno and PC can bring to PSU a couple of equally athletic players into his class. If so, PSU would have made the transition to the big time!!!

P.S. Also on Shaler’s team was former PSU football commit P.J. Holtz. ( I think he has decommitted.) Holtz did not start but I thought he should have. He is a hulk (6-3 or 6-4) and pretty agile also. I’ve seen him play football. He is one of the top football players in the WPIAL. I hope to see him at Beaver Statium in the future.

I did not see PC. BUT, I did not sit on the Shaler side of the gym. Large/high bleachers on both sides of the court.

Thanks for the report tundra!

Shaler plays @ State High this season

Saturday 01/14/12 Home Shaler HS 1:30 PM

EDIT - Now that I see the start time, I wonder if they are playing Friday night somewhere else in the area. 1:30pm is a pretty early tip (assuming the JV game would be at noon) for a team taking a bus from the Pittsburgh area.

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:2914”]I got to “eyeball” Geno last night in Shaler’s game at Ambridge. The game itself was a blowout. 59-13 at the half. I think it was 70-17 in the middle of the 3rd. Geno was subbed for at this point. I believed he would not return so I left. Final was 77-23. Pgh. newspapers had no news of Geno stats.
By my count he had 24 points in about 14 minutes of PT at the midpoint of the 3rd quarter when I left.
My summary: Geno is the “real deal.” Just sensational. Good size. He looked legit 6-2 or 6-3. Super quick. GREAT hops. He had 5 great dunks last night, including his high lite reel “reverse dunk!” He just moves so smoothly! Geno has excellent ball skills. Ball seems to be “on a string.” Very good court awareness and seemed to be a “team player.” It’s funny; his points just came so easily it not like he was forcing anything. He had several very nice assists.
I also like his jump shot. He really seems to get his right hand on top of the ball. Great rotation on his shot. His shots had a very nice consistent arc. It seems all of his foul shots (including warm ups) were dead on perfect!
I’m trying hard to think of weaknesses. It’s not easy. He didn’t rebound much last night BUT he didn’t need to. As noted, this game was very "one sided."
To me, Geno may be the “most athletic” PSU hoop recruit ever! Scary to think how good he will be in 2 years time. I just hope Geno and PC can bring to PSU a couple of equally athletic players into his class. If so, PSU would have made the transition to the big time!!!

P.S. Also on Shaler’s team was former PSU football commit P.J. Holtz. ( I think he has decommitted.) Holtz did not start but I thought he should have. He is a hulk (6-3 or 6-4) and pretty agile also. I’ve seen him play football. He is one of the top football players in the WPIAL. I hope to see him at Beaver Statium in the future.[/quote]

Good update! I’ve been following twitter updates on his games but I can’t find much other than that. It’s nice to hear an opinion from someone who actually saw him play.

I was wondering, what’s the level of competition that he’s playing? I don’t know too much about basketball in that area so it’s kind of hard to form an opinion on his stats alone

[quote=“NICU, post:4, topic:2914”]Shaler plays @ State High this season

EDIT - Now that I see the start time, I wonder if they are playing Friday night somewhere else in the area. 1:30pm is a pretty early tip (assuming the JV game would be at noon) for a team taking a bus from the Pittsburgh area.[/quote]

Altoona Friday night.

[quote="tundra, post:1, topic:2914"]I got to "eyeball" Geno last night in Shaler's game at Ambridge. The game itself was a blowout. 59-13 at the half. I think it was 70-17 in the middle of the 3rd. Geno was subbed for at this point. I believed he would not return so I left. Final was 77-23. Pgh. newspapers had no news of Geno stats. By my count he had 24 points in about 14 minutes of PT at the midpoint of the 3rd quarter when I left. My summary: Geno is the "real deal." Just sensational. Good size. He looked legit 6-2 or 6-3. Super quick. GREAT hops. He had 5 great dunks last night, including his high lite reel "reverse dunk!" He just moves so smoothly! Geno has excellent ball skills. Ball seems to be "on a string." Very good court awareness and seemed to be a "team player." It's funny; his points just came so easily it not like he was forcing anything. He had several very nice assists. I also like his jump shot. He really seems to get his right hand on top of the ball. Great rotation on his shot. His shots had a very nice consistent arc. It seems all of his foul shots (including warm ups) were dead on perfect! I'm trying hard to think of weaknesses. It's not easy. He didn't rebound much last night BUT he didn't need to. As noted, this game was very "one sided." To me, Geno may be the "most athletic" PSU hoop recruit ever! Scary to think how good he will be in 2 years time. I just hope Geno and PC can bring to PSU a couple of equally athletic players into his class. If so, PSU would have made the transition to the big time!!!!!!!

P.S. Also on Shaler’s team was former PSU football commit P.J. Holtz. ( I think he has decommitted.) Holtz did not start but I thought he should have. He is a hulk (6-3 or 6-4) and pretty agile also. I’ve seen him play football. He is one of the top football players in the WPIAL. I hope to see him at Beaver Statium in the future.[/quote]

Good update! I’ve been following twitter updates on his games but I can’t find much other than that. It’s nice to hear an opinion from someone who actually saw him play.

I was wondering, what’s the level of competition that he’s playing? I don’t know too much about basketball in that area so it’s kind of hard to form an opinion on his stats alone

Geno’s team Shaler HS is the large school grouping (AAAA) in the WPIAL. But, in truth, they have not really been a hoop power house except when they “imported” Danny Fortsen many years ago.
AAAA in the WPIAL is usually pretty “solid” BUT not always real good compared to other cities. In years past many (maybe even most) of the really good teams came from the smaller school AA classification. (see: Aliquippa, Beaver Falls, Jeanette, Sto Rox etc etc.) In general, more “blue collar” areas.
Chartiers Valley (probably the WPIAL’s top hoop program) seems to jump between AAAA and AAA. I think they are AAAA this season.

Thanks Tundra.

Here’s another first hand report from FOS

I like the contrast in shooting:

One hates it.
The other loves it.

Gotta love opinions. Appreciate the scouting report though Tundra, think we’ll have a star on our hands in a few seasons.

[quote=“rwd5035, post:9, topic:2914”]I like the contrast in shooting:

One hates it.
The other loves it.

Gotta love opinions. Appreciate the scouting report though Tundra, think we’ll have a star on our hands in a few seasons.[/quote]

I’ll take tundra’s report. He’s pointed out a few guys he saw play in HS or the summer league and his analysis of them have been pretty spot on once they hit college.

[quote="NICU, post:4, topic:2914"]Shaler plays @ State High this season

EDIT - Now that I see the start time, I wonder if they are playing Friday night somewhere else in the area. 1:30pm is a pretty early tip (assuming the JV game would be at noon) for a team taking a bus from the Pittsburgh area.[/quote]

Altoona Friday night.

Altoona game is listed as 7:30 start on their web site.

Not sure what the outlook is for Altoona hoops is this year.

After watching Austin Scott perform against the very best Pennsylvania high school competition and seeing his college career, I will never again trust my evaluation capabilities. I thought Austin was can’t miss for a Herschel Walker-Tony Dorsett type career.

Well, he did start well at Penn State, but he had a lot of off the field issues that kept him off the field.

[quote=“tjb, post:12, topic:2914”]After watching Austin Scott perform against the very best Pennsylvania high school competition and seeing his college career, I will never again trust my evaluation capabilities. I thought Austin was can’t miss for a Herschel Walker-Tony Dorsett type career.[/quote]Think he could have had a pretty nice career had he kept himself out of trouble and joe’s doghouse

Off the field issues aside, Scott just seemed to plateau way too soon. He was obviously really good in high school, just never got much better than that.

you’re not the only one…Ron Powlus and his two Heismans has just been hired by Charlie Weis again. In addition to talent, coaching and hard work, it takes a lot of good luck to succeed. Injuries, being in the right place at the right time, etc. Imagine if Ki-Jana Carter had ripped up his knee in a high school exhibition game. Compare Brad Johnson’s college career to his NFL career. Allegedly the reason Johnny Unitas was cut by the Steelers was because the other contender for the 3rd QB could also punt.

Shaler @ Ambridge, huh? That brings back a few names to me, Danny Fortson and Dick DeVensio.
Can’t wait to see Geno in PSU blue in a few years! I may try to catch Geno’s game in Altoona on 1/13 and/or in S.C. on 1/14. Plus, Minny is @ PSU on 1/15! :slight_smile:

Is Geno a more of a point guard or shooting guard? Based on descritions I have read, he seems to be the typical combo guard. I live about 10 miles from Shaler HS, so, I will have a first hand report in the near future.

Good question. I see him a PG. I think that is where he has the most potential and that is the position he was recruited for. His game is kind of like Tim Frazier’s this season.
He could play “off guard” in some sets but he would be more of a slasher than a Lisicky or a Babb type long range bomber.

Is Geno a more of a point guard or shooting guard? Based on descritions I have read, he seems to be the typical combo guard. I live about 10 miles from Shaler HS, so, I will have a first hand report in the near future.
Good question. I see him a PG. I think that is where he has the most potential and that is the position he was recruited for. His game is kind of like Tim Frazier's this season. He could play "off guard" in some sets but he would be more of a slasher than a Lisicky or a Babb type long range bomber.

Whats with all of the quotation words. It’s kind of “annoying.” I’m not sure if you’re trying to “highlight” the words or what you’re trying to do. Informative post, but I didn’t really see the point of that.