Genius grant

I was not on the list – again. But this woman on the MacArthur grant list must be affiliated with Penn State?:

_ Beth Shapiro, 33, University Park, Pa. Evolutionary biologist whose research focuses on tracing the population history of recently extinct or threatened species.

[quote=“tjb, post:1, topic:51”]I was not on the list – again. But this woman on the MacArthur grant list must be affiliated with Penn State?:

_ Beth Shapiro, 33, University Park, Pa. Evolutionary biologist whose research focuses on tracing the population history of recently extinct or threatened species.[/quote]

She is.

She was a Rhodes Scholar after graduating from Georgia.

Very engaging lecture by Beth Shapiro on Fora TV on “How to Make a Dodo.” It would be fun to have her for a class.

http://fora.tv/2008/08/19/Beth_Shapiro_How_to_Make_a_Dodo

sort’ve off topic… anybody see Charlie Kauffman’s “Synecdoche, New York” ? It’s about Philip Seymour Hoffman’s character getting the Macarthur Genius Grant and from there I don’t really know what… ??? Well, I have my own interpretations, but wow - it’s quite the thinker.

Anybody delve into that one yet? I enjoyed it - but it was a real struggle to put together.