PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

General College Hoops

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12636370/former-utep-coach-jason-rabedeaux-death-remains-mystery

Tremendous story of the absolute lengths of commitment many coaches undertake to reach their level of “success”, and how so often, it consumes and breaks them.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/12650607/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-says-horrible-state-college-basketball-hurting-nba

Good article!!
I will try to be positive! The NCAA game has evolved (for the most part) out of the “flop” era. The “flop” era was a worst possible situation! Thus there is still hope! Refs must continue to reward the player “attacking” the basket.
I would like to see an evolution back to the “motion” offense. Screens and picks away from the ball with fast passing ball movement. Today’s “on the ball” screen type of play leads to lots of one player dribble dribble dribble 30 feet from the basket! and standing around watching for the remainder of the players.

THe only way to improve officiating is to quit having referees be independent contractors working as many games in a week as they can.

There’s plenty of ways to improve the state of college basketball via small rule changes. College basketball is one of the only sports out there that hasn’t adapted rules that favor offenses more.

Has anyone seen any feedback from the 30-second shot clock that the CBI/NIT used?

Nothing since the NIT final I think.

Only one small step is lowering the shot clock. Some in-game rules need to be changed too.

Seven underclassmen going pro from Kentucky.

Have we had that many players go the NBA ever combined? (Frazier, Booth, Amaechi, Crispin, Brickowski, … I know I’m forgetting some)

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/mark_cubans_rip_of_college_hoo.html

[quote="Tom, post:9, topic:4488"]Seven underclassmen going pro from Kentucky.[/quote]

Have we had that many players go the NBA ever combined? (Frazier, Booth, Amaechi, Crispin, Brickowski, … I know I’m forgetting some)

Several more.

In alphabetical order:

John Amachi
Jesse Arnelle
Herschelle Baltimore
John Barr
Calvin Booth
Frank Brickowski
Joe Crispin
Tim Frazier
Tom Hovasse
Whitey Von Nieda
Bob Weiss

[quote="Tom, post:9, topic:4488"]Seven underclassmen going pro from Kentucky.[/quote]

Several more.

In alphabetical order:

John Amachi
Jesse Arnelle
Herschelle Baltimore
John Barr
Calvin Booth
Frank Brickowski
Joe Crispin
Tim Frazier
Tom Hovasse
Whitey Von Nieda
Bob Weiss

Players drafted by the NBA who may not have played in the NBA:

John Rusinko 1947
Herman Sledzik 1953
Carver Clinton 1966
Ron Brown 1973
Mike Lang 1983
Dick Mumma 1984

Several more.

In alphabetical order:

John Amachi
Jesse Arnelle
Herschelle Baltimore
John Barr
Calvin Booth
Frank Brickowski
Joe Crispin
Tim Frazier
Tom Hovasse
Whitey Von Nieda
Bob Weiss

I didn’t remember that Hovasse went. He must not have played long?

Several more.

In alphabetical order:

John Amachi
Jesse Arnelle
Herschelle Baltimore
John Barr
Calvin Booth
Frank Brickowski
Joe Crispin
Tim Frazier
Tom Hovasse
Whitey Von Nieda
Bob Weiss

He didn’t, he made the Atlanta Hawks roster to start the season but a week later, Hawks signed someone and Hovasse he was waived.

Several more.

In alphabetical order:

John Amachi
Jesse Arnelle
Herschelle Baltimore
John Barr
Calvin Booth
Frank Brickowski
Joe Crispin
Tim Frazier
Tom Hovasse
Whitey Von Nieda
Bob Weiss

Two games.

Somebody on this board actually has a Hovasse Hawks jersey.

I wonder if they’d be interested in buying his warm-ups too?

Lauren Hill dies after inspirational battle with cancer
Shannon Russell, srussell@enquirer.com 9:18 a.m. EDT April 10, 2015

Not college, but, amusing none the less

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2426389-kendrick-perkins-gets-away-with-unbelievable-9-step-travel-vs-heat

[quote=“Tom, post:18, topic:4488”]Not college, but, amusing none the less

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2426389-kendrick-perkins-gets-away-with-unbelievable-9-step-travel-vs-heat[/quote]

I see the college game getting more like the NBA… …and I can’t stand it.

Saw during the tournament: Kentucky was playing WV. During that blowout, there was a highlight play were a Kentucky guard, on a fast break, went past a WV defender near the lane. The UK guard took the ball all the way around his own waist, and did a layup. Problem was, he picked up his dribble when he starting shifting the ball around his torso. He took 2 steps while doing so. He then took ANOTHER 2 steps before releasing he ball for the layup.

…the kid took 4(FOUR) steps, and was never called for a travel.

Several more.

In alphabetical order:

John Amachi
Jesse Arnelle
Herschelle Baltimore
John Barr
Calvin Booth
Frank Brickowski
Joe Crispin
Tim Frazier
Tom Hovasse
Whitey Von Nieda
Bob Weiss

Two games.

Somebody on this board actually has a Hovasse Hawks jersey.

I wonder if they’d be interested in buying his warm-ups too?

I’m good with just the uniform.

Tom had played in Japan for a year or so. Came back and made the Hawks out of training camp. He was on the roster for 3 games. Played in 2. Hawks made the blockbuster trade involving Steve Smith and Tom was cut. But he went back to Japan as a former NBA player.