Gbombs

This is the acronym of newbies this year, with the addition of Sasa. Graham, Buie, Oliver, Marshall, Bowman and Sasa. While it’s impossible to know the impact these players will have this season, IMO, in OOC, they should get lots of time unless they are clearly way overwhelmed. Talor struggled mightily his first season, but figured it out. I thought the Seton Hall game was the sea change in his play. I thought Sasa and Frazier should’ve had more minutes last year, and Babb more the year before. Freshmen make lots of mistakes, but if they are to develop quickly, they should be allowed to do so. I always liked the following view, “Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.”

If anybody has any opinion on these players and how they’re doing, it’d be great to know. Frazier probably should be included as well, though not sure I can squeeze an “F” into the acronym. Need to buy a vowel. I’m certainly not substituting him for Graham, and making it… :wink:

F’nGBOMBS? :smiley:

I’ll try to answer your question kid. Next year will be an interesting year for the coaching staff. While they will want to “ride” the 4 experienced starters hopefully to a post season tourney. They also need to prepare some players for the following year. Do these 2 goals blend??..well…the coaching staff will try.
Frazier will get many minutes. At the 1 and maybe some at the 2. Remember we have a good looking PG (Burke) coming the following year. Taran should be the 3rd guard in the rotation. Bowman, Marshall will battle Cam for additional minutes. These guys will also compete for minutes at the 3 position (with Taran) went DJ moves to the front court.
We will need front court minutes…can any of the young guys provide quality minutes? This may be the key to the season.
I see DJ playing a lot of the 4 position and PSU playing small.

We’ll know early how the senior forwards are going to do this season. They should be “ridden” until the OOC games are comfortably won or lost, or until PSU is obviously not going to make a post season tournament.

Sure Sasa and Graham should get some minutes (probably 15-20 MPG between the both of them) - but I guess ED has to give the seniors one last chance… Sasa and Graham aren’t good enough to take a starting position right off the bat. I have no idea how Oliver will factor in. If hes set to play, he will take some minutes from Sasa and Graham as a reserve - I suppose.

As tundra said, the 3 position is a big mystery if Jackson isn’t in the game or if hes playing the 4. Like Oliver, I have no idea how Marshall will factor in. It will probably be Jackson - Woodyard/Marshall

Gotta think that Battle, Frazier, Cam and Buie will take the majority of the minutes at the 1 and 2.

My lineup:
1 - Battle / Frazier
2 - Frazier / Buie / Woodyard / Bowman
3 - Jackson / Woodyard / Marshall
4 - Brooks / Graham / Oliver
5 - Jones / Sasa

I don’t want to see Frazier too much at the 2 unless his shot significantly increases. He has the driving ability, but not the jumper. He offers the most experience at the 2 until Woodyard and Buie get major OOC minutes.

I’d rather see Brooks at the 5 if Jones comes out instead of Sasa. Same goes for Jackson sliding down to the 4 if Brooks comes out; but not as much since the 3 is an iffy position - I’d rather see Graham get minutes and Jackson stay at the 3.

I can also see an alternative 3 guard lineup that looks something like this:

1 - Battle
2 - Frazier / Bowman
3 - Buie / Woodyard / Marshall
4 - Jackson / Graham
5 - Brooks/Jones - Sasa

I’m fairly confident that Ed will ride his four seniors really hard this upcoming season. Assuming Buie is as good as advertised, I think he’ll see lots of minutes (probably start) but beyond that I’m not sure many of the young guys will see lots of minutes. Granted, I haven’t seen any of the young guys play but I expect Ed to use a fairly tight rotation. This is what I envision:

Starters - Battle, Buie, Jackson, Brooks, Jones
Reserves - Frazier, Woodyard, Sasa

If I were going to bet on a 9th guy to make it into the rotation I’m going to say Oliver, because this is his third year in the program and I think there’s been some talk that he could play the 3 or 4 which gives Ed more options.

Beyond that, I don’t see a ton of minutes for Bowman, Marshall and Graham…the funny thing is I think all three of them will be real strong contributors over the course of their years at PSU…but I don’t see Ed using them much this year unless someone in front of them falls on their face.

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:5, topic:1181”]I’m fairly confident that Ed will ride his four seniors really hard this upcoming season. Assuming Buie is as good as advertised, I think he’ll see lots of minutes (probably start) but beyond that I’m not sure many of the young guys will see lots of minutes. Granted, I haven’t seen any of the young guys play but I expect Ed to use a fairly tight rotation. This is what I envision:

If I were going to bet on a 9th guy to make it into the rotation I’m going to say Oliver, because this is his third year in the program and I think there’s been some talk that he could play the 3 or 4 which gives Ed more options.

Beyond that, I don’t see a ton of minutes for Bowman, Marshall and Graham…the funny thing is I think all three of them will be real strong contributors over the course of their years at PSU…but I don’t see Ed using them much this year unless someone in front of them falls on their face.[/quote]

So I guess from the fact that you think that Ed will only go 8 deep that you believe the team will do well this year. And that Jones and Brooks will have striong seasons. Isn’t it either that or the freshmen will be very overmatched?

[quote="Finding Forrester, post:5, topic:1181"]I'm fairly confident that Ed will ride his four seniors really hard this upcoming season. Assuming Buie is as good as advertised, I think he'll see lots of minutes (probably start) but beyond that I'm not sure many of the young guys will see lots of minutes. Granted, I haven't seen any of the young guys play but I expect Ed to use a fairly tight rotation. This is what I envision:

Beyond that, I don’t see a ton of minutes for Bowman, Marshall and Graham…the funny thing is I think all three of them will be real strong contributors over the course of their years at PSU…but I don’t see Ed using them much this year unless someone in front of them falls on their face.[/quote]

So I guess from the fact that you think that Ed will only go 8 deep that you believe the team will do well this year. And that Jones and Brooks will have striong seasons. Isn’t it either that or the freshmen will be very overmatched?

I do think the team will be competitive and will play in a lot of close games. I think Jones and Brooks will be better than any of the other alternatives (as far as this one season is concerned) and because of that Ed will stick with them because he needs to win now.

I don’t see Frazier playing the 2. If he and Battle are on the floor together it will be with Battle moving to the 2. Also, I don’t see Woodyard rising up the depth chart to become a major contributer. Much more likely that it will be Marshall. Bowman’s a longshot for this year. Frontcourt, ED’s gonna ride the seniors. I do think that we’ll see Sasa move to the 5 as Jones’ backup. He should have been there last year. If Oliver is healthy I think he’ll see some time at 3 in a big lineup or the 4 in a small lineup. Graham will only get minutes if he attacks the glass and plays D.

My lineup:
Battle, Frazier
Buie, Battle, Marshall, Woodyard, Bowman
Jackson, Marshall, Woodyard, Oliver
Brooks, Jackson, Oliver, Graham
Jones, Sasa, Graham

Couple of thoughts about Frazier at the 2.
It’s NOT ideal, I know. Last year when Frazier played together with Battle, Frazier played the point…BUT remember we finished last.

ALSO, this is Talor’s “Swan Song.” His pro future is all about Point Guard. I think Ed will keep him at PG (for the most part) this season for his (Talor’s) benefit.
Also Frazier and Burke will play at times together the following year. We should try Frazier at the 2 this season.

;D

We didn’t finish last because of Frazier playing the point. Yes, TB’s future is at PG, but sliding over to the 2 for a few minutes per game keeps him on the floor in a less demanding role. He can take a breather, but still be there if needed.

You can’t play Frazier at the 2 this year just because you think he might play it a little next year along with a guy who hasn’t even signed a LOI yet. His shooting confidence will need to REALLY IMPROVE for him to get minutes at 2 in front of Buie, Marshall, Woodyard and Bowman. I just don’t see it this year. He was so gun-shy last year that to be a viable scoring option this year is probably not realistic.

I’m with you 100%. Frazier is offensively challenged (at least he was last year). He was at his best when he would penetrate and dish. I think he’s going to be a much better finisher this year but the kid wouldn’t take a 3 if you have him five feet of space. I don’t get why everyone is knocking his handle though. I know someone on the BTN made a comment about him not having a left but I didn’t see it. I think it’s one of those things when someone says something and everyone just sort of repeats it. IMO, his handle was fine.

We need another guard to help reduce the burden of scoring on Talor. Whether it’s Buie, Marshall, or Bowman…who knows. I think Woodyard is going to take the Babb/Morrissey role of spot up shooter. The other guard NEEDS to be able to hit the 3 AND penetrate. Playing a little D wouldn’t hurt either. :wink:

[quote="tundra, post:9, topic:1181"]ALSO, this is Talor's "[url=http://www.dedham.k12.ma.us/webquest/jw/SWANS.wav][b]Swan Sound[/b][/url]."[/quote]

;D

Fixed it!

[quote=“LPcreation, post:12, topic:1181”]I know someone on the BTN made a comment about him not having a left but I didn’t see it. I think it’s one of those things when someone says something and everyone just sort of repeats it. IMO, his handle was fine.[/quote]Unfortunately, I think this was a valid criticism. As the year went he was overplayed to his right. I don’t think that he couldn’t go left, just that it wasn’t as comfortable for him.

I agree.

I guess I meant I don’t see it as a big liability the way it’s made out to be. It’s good enough for what he does right now, but there is definitely room to improve.

[quote=“JakkL, post:11, topic:1181”]We didn’t finish last because of Frazier playing the point. Yes, TB’s future is at PG, but sliding over to the 2 for a few minutes per game keeps him on the floor in a less demanding role. He can take a breather, but still be there if needed.

You can’t play Frazier at the 2 this year just because you think he might play it a little next year along with a guy who hasn’t even signed a LOI yet. His shooting confidence will need to REALLY IMPROVE for him to get minutes at 2 in front of Buie, Marshall, Woodyard and Bowman. I just don’t see it this year. He was so gun-shy last year that to be a viable scoring option this year is probably not realistic.[/quote]
All the players and coaches are co-responsible for finishing last. I think the board consensus was that last year PSU had little to done inside (to the basket) game. I agree. Talor, Babb and Cam were very TOO satisfied with shooting long range “bombs.” The “bombing” didn’t work…we didn’t win. Instead of spending the whole year complaining how Andrew Jones is NOT GOOD at attacking the basket…Why don’t we rethink the idea of playing “attack the basket” hoops with guys who CAN attack the basket. Talor, Frazier and Taran.
Our bigs are not strong inside scorers but our rebounding in the BigTen was pretty good. Maybe we can fast-break more with Frazier and Battle in the back court together.
Just an idea. A general rule of most sports is “change a losing game!!.”

We didn't finish last because of Frazier playing the point. Yes, TB's future is at PG, but sliding over to the 2 for a few minutes per game keeps him on the floor in a less demanding role. He can take a breather, but still be there if needed.

You can’t play Frazier at the 2 this year just because you think he might play it a little next year along with a guy who hasn’t even signed a LOI yet. His shooting confidence will need to REALLY IMPROVE for him to get minutes at 2 in front of Buie, Marshall, Woodyard and Bowman. I just don’t see it this year. He was so gun-shy last year that to be a viable scoring option this year is probably not realistic.

All the players and coaches are co-responsible for finishing last. I think the board consensus was that last year PSU had little to done inside (to the basket) game. I agree. Talor, Babb and Cam were very TOO satisfied with shooting long range “bombs.” The “bombing” didn’t work…we didn’t win. Instead of spending the whole year complaining how Andrew Jones is NOT GOOD at attacking the basket…Why don’t we rethink the idea of playing “attack the basket” hoops with guys who CAN attack the basket. Talor, Frazier and Taran.
Our bigs are not strong inside scorers but our rebounding in the BigTen was pretty good. Maybe we can fast-break more with Frazier and Battle in the back court together.

What exact role on offense do you see for the bigs if the guards are attacking the basket in the halfcourt? I actually don’t think bigs “attack the basket” as much as position themselves near the basket, one on the strong side, back to the basket as a target for the ball. They should be able to do that. Pete Newell says you have two kinds of big men, those who can score and those who can’t. But that shouldn’t change their positioning. Receiving the ball inside, they can do a give and go, or kick it out, or reverse it to the other side, a sort of weakside kickout-very effective. Indiana does this on the baseline very effectively, baseline corner to the center to the opposite baseline corner. We’re getting none of this, cause they’re not set up there, back to the basket. Cornley did this setup, but not last year’s front line. So, the guards have the ball, and their only options are moving it around the perimeter, or dribble drive, and last year it was Talor or Frazier dribbling in and kicking it out to Babb, Brooks and DJ. This is the offensive role for big men? Nice work if you can get it. But it loses games. If you look at Beilein’s comments after PSU beat them, he emphatically stated that PSU never dumped the ball inside, maybe once, that wasn’t the cause for UM losing.

[quote="JakkL, post:11, topic:1181"]We didn't finish last because of Frazier playing the point. Yes, TB's future is at PG, but sliding over to the 2 for a few minutes per game keeps him on the floor in a less demanding role. He can take a breather, but still be there if needed.

You can’t play Frazier at the 2 this year just because you think he might play it a little next year along with a guy who hasn’t even signed a LOI yet. His shooting confidence will need to REALLY IMPROVE for him to get minutes at 2 in front of Buie, Marshall, Woodyard and Bowman. I just don’t see it this year. He was so gun-shy last year that to be a viable scoring option this year is probably not realistic.[/quote]

What exact role on offense do you see for the bigs if the guards are attacking the basket in the halfcourt? I actually don’t think bigs “attack the basket” as much as position themselves near the basket, one on the strong side, back to the basket as a target for the ball. They should be able to do that. Pete Newell says you have two kinds of big men, those who can score and those who can’t. But that shouldn’t change their positioning. Receiving the ball inside, they can do a give and go, or kick it out, or reverse it to the other side, a sort of weakside kickout-very effective. Indiana does this on the baseline very effectively, baseline corner to the center to the opposite baseline corner. We’re getting none of this, cause they’re not set up there, back to the basket. Cornley did this setup, but not last year’s front line. So, the guards have the ball, and their only options are moving it around the perimeter, or dribble drive, and last year it was Talor or Frazier dribbling in and kicking it out to Babb, Brooks and DJ. This is the offensive role for big men? Nice work if you can get it. But it loses games. If you look at Beilein’s comments after PSU beat them, he emphatically stated that PSU never dumped the ball inside, maybe once, that wasn’t the cause for UM losing.

Gosh, I don’t know the particulars. I don’t think Ed will want to give any of his 3/4 Million (or more) to me :wink:
I was throwing out an general idea. Our half court was “stale” too often last year. Too may lon…g 3 point shots. TOO many 30 footers.
I was always taught that a coach sets tempo with his defense. Maybe we need more of a trapping/pressure defense which will create more of an “open court” offense. Thus, more “spend” guys on the court NOT bombers.

[quote="JakkL, post:11, topic:1181"]We didn't finish last because of Frazier playing the point. Yes, TB's future is at PG, but sliding over to the 2 for a few minutes per game keeps him on the floor in a less demanding role. He can take a breather, but still be there if needed.

Gosh, I don’t know the particulars. I don’t think Ed will want to give any of his 3/4 Million (or more) to me :wink:
I was throwing out an general idea. Our half court was “stale” too often last year. Too may lon…g 3 point shots. TOO many 30 footers.
I was always taught that a coach sets tempo with his defense. Maybe we need more of a trapping/pressure defense which will create more of an “open court” offense. Thus, more “spend” guys on the court NOT bombers.

I wasn’t trying to jump on you, and I agree on the transition, which is what we try to do. IMO, the problem starts when we get into the halfcourt, which unfortunately, is half the game. I honestly don’t know what the role of the front line is. Seems to me all like to receive the ball facing the basket. Not easy to do this if the ball’s at the arc, unless the bigs move away from the basket. The weakside big should be facing the basket(and the ball), but a strong side big should have his back to the basket and be facing the ball. We rarely do that, and IMO, that’s why the halfcourt offense struggles. If the ball is at the arc outside the elbow, all we see is someone in the strong side corner(facing the basket, which is correct) someone at the top of the key(also correct), and two weakside players facing the ball and the basket(which is not optimal). You should only have one player doing this. Then we run high screens. Boring and ineffective. IMO, simple and common setup is triangle on the strong side with a big’s back to the basket, someone at the top of the key for a ball reversal, and a weakside player looking to get a crosscourt pass, a kickout or be the second to receive the ball on a reversal over the top of the key. It just seems that the bigs are only involved getting a pass while facing the basket either inside or outside the arc, but never close to the basket, unless Talor penetrates and hands it off, usually to Jones, as he comes in for rebounding opportunities. Bad spacing, all the time. We don’t seem to have players comfortable playing with their back to the basket, except Sasa, but he barely played. He seems skilled at it, but needs to get stronger.

Agree 100%. When the bigs aren’t down low then they clog the passing/driving lanes outside. Our 4s and 5s need to stay low except for coming to the high post and setting picks. If they’re already outside then the ball movement is toward the pick instead of the picker moving toward the ball. The former is easier to defend because they are already concentrating on the ball. When the picker comes to the ball then everyone is moving and the potential for the onball defender not seeing it coming increases.