PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Game time?

What’s up with the 6:30/8:30 game time starts the Big 10 does? Always seemed odd to me, condering most everyone else starts at 7:00, 7:30/9:00, 9:30.

I think it’s so the B10 Network can broadcast everything without using the overflow channels.

I just thought about this during breakfast for some reason, but remember back when “Big Monday” on ESPN was Big East/Big Ten (man, that’s Pre-PSU days!) Anyway, since most of the B-10 games were central time, the B-east game was always in the 7:30 slot and the B-10 got 9:30. Well, Coach Knight complained that the B-10 kids always missed more class the next day becuse their games ended so much later, and how that was more difficult on his kids acedemically. Amazingly, ESPN then put us in a 7:30 Tue time slot instead and instered the B-12 in the 9:30 Mon slot (which THEY happily agreed to). I think this is even true today, hence the 7:30 tue slot for Illlini/MSU last night (6:30 local tip!)

I’m sure the BTN is sensitive to this and puts the double-headers at 6:30/8:30 to accomodate the late game finish time for the students.

[quote=“MarkH, post:3, topic:1804”]I just thought about this during breakfast for some reason, but remember back when “Big Monday” on ESPN was Big East/Big Ten (man, that’s Pre-PSU days!) Anyway, since most of the B-10 games were central time, the B-east game was always in the 7:30 slot and the B-10 got 9:30. Well, Coach Knight complained that the B-10 kids always missed more class the next day becuse their games ended so much later, and how that was more difficult on his kids acedemically. Amazingly, ESPN then put us in a 7:30 Tue time slot instead and instered the B-12 in the 9:30 Mon slot (which THEY happily agreed to). I think this is even true today, hence the 7:30 tue slot for Illlini/MSU last night (6:30 local tip!)

I’m sure the BTN is sensitive to this and puts the double-headers at 6:30/8:30 to accomodate the late game finish time for the students. [/quote]

We in PA may think of most of the Big Ten as being in the Central Time zone but that’s not true. Indiana’s past Daylight Savings Time issues might have confused things a bit, but as far as basketball goes they would have had no effect on game times since hoops isn’t played during DST days. Indiana is an Eastern time zone state (mostly), which means, before Penn State’s arrival, the games would have been equally split between the two time zones, and now are mostly Eastern time zone games (until next year when we go back to 50/50) .

Eastern Time Zone:

Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue

Central Time Zone:

Illinois
Northwestern
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin

That’s it Lar…you win.

The Eastern Time Zone Division…

and

The Western Time Zone Division

Get Delaney on the phone now :wink:

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:5, topic:1804”]That’s it Lar…you win.

and

Get Delaney on the phone now ;)[/quote]

Could’ve gone with “cows” and “corn” too.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:5, topic:1804"]That's it Lar...you win.

and

Should have gone with Icons and Idols. ;D They’ve already built up some nice brand equity with Big Ten Icons.

Lar,
Had never thought about the B-10 time zones in that detail before… I should have really said something like “since much more of the B-10 is in the central time vs the Big East” since that was my main point of the B-10 getting the 9:30 slot. Of course, since IU is still in the east no wonder Knight was crying. His games were ending at 11:30 while 1/2 of his competition got to end their games at 10:30.

Anyway, since you’re at it, what’s the CURRENT time zone split of the Big East (hoops only - and exclude TCU… for now)?

[quote=“MarkH, post:8, topic:1804”]Lar,
Had never thought about the B-10 time zones in that detail before… I should have really said something like “since much more of the B-10 is in the central time vs the Big East” since that was my main point of the B-10 getting the 9:30 slot. Of course, since IU is still in the east no wonder Knight was crying. His games were ending at 11:30 while 1/2 of his competition got to end their games at 10:30.

Anyway, since you’re at it, what’s the CURRENT time zone split of the Big East (hoops only - and exclude TCU… for now)?[/quote]

Marquette and DePaul are Central Time. The rest are Eastern.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:5, topic:1804”]That’s it Lar…you win.

and

Eastern and Central would be more accurate. If people are upset about the Big Ten not being numerically correct, imagine how they’d feel about a division named after a fictional time zone.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:5, topic:1804"]That's it Lar...you win.

and

Too much of a bias for Nebraska. Why not make it more Pennsyl-centric, use “Coal” and “Pothole” ? ;D

how about rust and dust?