PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

FSU-Duke

So if you’re Coach K and your last-second play to tie the game is total crap, does your fan base go crazy? Maybe not, because a few seconds later your player can take 11 steps and it won’t be called.

But the shot didn’t go in. FSU goes to the ACC final.

Haha, glad I wasn’t the only one that noticed that. It seemed obvious that he took a few steps before heaving that up, but when I un-muted the game to hear what they had to say, Dicky V was only talking about the “amazing” shot (that didn’t go in).

Great game though.

[quote=“Keith, post:2, topic:3168”]Haha, glad I wasn’t the only one that noticed that. It seemed obvious that he took a few steps before heaving that up, but when I un-muted the game to hear what they had to say, Dukey V was only talking about the “amazing” shot (that didn’t go in).

Great game though.[/quote]

Fixed :wink:

Haha, glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. It seemed obvious that he took a few steps before heaving that up, but when I un-muted the game to hear what they had to say, [u][b]Dukey V[/b][/u] was only talking about the "amazing" shot (that didn't go in).

Great game though.

If you think that was fixed, what’s your take on UNC/NC State? 2 non calls that state never got. They were both tough calls, though, IMO.

[quote="Keith, post:2, topic:3168"]Haha, glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. It seemed obvious that he took a few steps before heaving that up, but when I un-muted the game to hear what they had to say, [u][b]Dukey V[/b][/u] was only talking about the "amazing" shot (that didn't go in).

If you think that was fixed, what’s your take on UNC/NC State? 2 non calls that state never got. They were both tough calls, though, IMO.

Marshall should have been called for the charge. However, I didn’t think there was a callable foul at the very end. NC St certainly got some lousy calls down the stretch. I did think the Zeller 5th was questionable. Just really lousy officiating.

“Fixed” refers to his changing “Dickie” to “Dukie”, I think.

[quote="Keith, post:2, topic:3168"]Haha, glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that. It seemed obvious that he took a few steps before heaving that up, but when I un-muted the game to hear what they had to say, [u][b]Dukey V[/b][/u] was only talking about the "amazing" shot (that didn't go in).

Marshall should have been called for the charge. However, I didn’t think there was a callable foul at the very end. NC St certainly got some lousy calls down the stretch. I did think the Zeller 5th was questionable. Just really lousy officiating.

IMO, that was not a charge, it was a block. The defender was not in position, and still sliding his feet over to get in position when they made contact. Also, there’s no reason for the defender on NC State to flop like that. If Kendall would have dropped his shoulder into him, or pushed him off, then you can call the offensive foul. However, neither of that happened, they made contact, one guy flopped, Kendall said thank you very much and hit a bank shot from 8 feet.

The backlash I’m noticing everywhere seems to be it’s Carolina getting another call. When I saw it live, I thought it was pretty clear the defender flopped. After seeing replays numerous times, I am standing by it.

I agree and also think this is a perfect example of how to stop all the flopping. Instead of creating new rules to penalize the floppers as many are demanding, just make non-calls a point of emphasis. After guys get a few uncontested shots because the defender fell down, the flopping would stop on its own.

Bingo

The backlash I'm noticing everywhere seems to be it's Carolina getting another call. When I saw it live, I thought it was pretty clear the defender flopped. After seeing replays numerous times, I am standing by it.

I agree and also think this is a perfect example of how to stop all the flopping. Instead of creating new rules to penalize the floppers as many are demanding, just make non-calls a point of emphasis. After guys get a few uncontested shots because the defender fell down, the flopping would stop on its own.

The biggest problem with flopping is if it’s called as a charge in the game, but that’s the incorrect call, and the team loses because of it, how do you retroactively dish out a punishment? In soccer they face this problem all the time, and the call is for them to retroactively give a player a yellow card for diving. That still doesn’t change the result of the game, but the player does get some sort of reprimand. I don’t really see what can be done, do they give a player one personal foul before the next game?

If you start penalizing flops, then we will see fans go nuts every time a player MIGHT, or NOT even flop at all. I agree on the non-call, or the blocking call. I think either would be sufficient.