PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Freshmen buy 500+ season hoops tix?!?!?!?

according to jeff nelson

GoPSUJeff Jeff Nelson #PennState freshmen secure 500+ season basketball tickets for 1st season under @Coach_Chambers!! #Attitude

good news if true and they attend

honestly i don’t know how to interpret this. is this up significanly over previous years?

Agree…I think we need A LOT more information!

Don’t really care how many tickets are sold, I want butts in the seats. Seeing good season ticket sales can signal good attendance is to come, but I will believe it when I see it.

500 student tickets for one class. If each class bought that many, that would be around 2,000 student season tickets already. I would have to believe that is near the most ever. And that’s without the help of the student season ticket sale at the HUB in October. Throw in the fact that it’s the freshmen class and it’s pretty encouraging.

But just because they bought the tix doesn’t mean they’ll show up, like Craftsy said. However, this is a great start. And it’s not like Chambers has been on his crusade in his golf cart, yet…

Well I did see two golf carts parked outside the Creamery the other day.

Meanwhile, the Jrs and Srs did not sell out their football tickets.

Hopefully the underclassmen can pick up the upperclassmen’s slack.

[quote=“Tom, post:7, topic:2513”]Meanwhile, the Jrs and Srs did not sell out their football tickets.

Hopefully the underclassmen can pick up the upperclassmen’s slack.[/quote]
Remember, these are those freshmen and sophomores the year that we began having attendance trouble at football games.

[quote="Tom, post:7, topic:2513"]Meanwhile, the Jrs and Srs did not sell out their football tickets.

Remember, these are those freshmen and sophomores the year that we began having attendance trouble at football games.

It’s a combo of that and how predictable and boring the fball program has become. That program needs a shot in the arm but sadly that wont happen until the legend himself hangs em up

I hope all 500 are free. Freshmen in East Halls are close to the BJC. Very easy for them to attend every game.

[quote="Tom, post:7, topic:2513"]Meanwhile, the Jrs and Srs did not sell out their football tickets.

It’s a combo of that and how predictable and boring the fball program has become. That program needs a shot in the arm but sadly that wont happen until the legend himself hangs em up

I wonder if the OOC FB schedules the past few years have contributed to this too.

As I student I can say that number really surprised me. Despite my personal feeling that this team will be rather interesting, we’re very young and aren’t projected to win all that much. Last year as a freshman I heard nothing of the basketball program until they offered the first game free to all freshman, then didn’t come back until after a couple of their bigger wins over Christmas break, and I"m a big basketball lover. Now this year I’m going to be at as many games as I can, but I think the real show of how big this is is whether they continue to show up when we’re 2-7 in Big Ten play on a random Thursday when it’s snowing.

Also, did Juniors and Seniors really not sell out football tickets? My class’s tickets were sold out by 10am.

[/quote]It’s a combo of that and how predictable and boring the fball program has become. That program needs a shot in the arm but sadly that wont happen until the legend himself hangs em up
[/quote]

They’ve been saying the same thing since 1987.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:13, topic:2513”][/quote]It’s a combo of that and how predictable and boring the fball program has become. That program needs a shot in the arm but sadly that wont happen until the legend himself hangs em up
[/quote]

They’ve been saying the same thing since 1987.
[/quote] ;)I’ll give you the 2000’s for the 80’s in a heartbeat :wink:

[quote="pmhewitt, post:2, topic:2513"]honestly i don't know how to interpret this. is this up significanly over previous years?[/quote]

Agree…I think we need A LOT more information!

Yes. Why no mention of the other classes? Their sales numbers should be in as well, correct?

A few things.

1. The sideline where the student section sits holds around 753 people. That means right now Freshman have bought up tickets enough to almost fill that part bowl on their own. The upperclassmen almost always buy tickets when they go on sale near the the season. Just assuming that they do in the very least, the same as last year, we’re at a little over 1,000 season ticket packages sold, if not more. That’s enough to fill the sideline and almost one side of the bowl. That is without walkups.

2. Football student tickets sold out. The announced that today.

I’m in agreement that Penn State Football has become boring.

It’s not so much the play (although our offense almost always fails against a quality defense) as it is the scheduling and the complete lack of a rival. 3 or 4 of the home games are total crap.

I know this has been discussed before, but Penn State should be playing Pitt every season. In what other state do just two BCS football schools exist and don’t play eachother anually regardless of conference affiliation? Ohio State and Cinci? Cinci was in the MAC up until recently.

Almost nothing is done in the interest of the fans.

An uninspiring regular season that loses steam once you lose a few games followed by a postseason of meaningless exhibition games. I can’t think of a more ridiculous post season than one where your game has no consequence. How many times can Penn State play in the Outback Bowl? It’s an opportunity for the geeks to brag about which league is better or to hear the same tired comments about can the Big Ten match up with the speed of the SEC.

I think the addition of Nebraska and the Big Ten Championship game will make the regular season.

Eventually the bowls won’t be viable because the younger generation isn’t going to spend their money on this nonsense like the older generation does. The kids of today aren’t as into sports as their parents and are less loyal when the record isn’t undefeated. There will eventually be a tournament.

[quote=“ChambersEra, post:17, topic:2513”]I’m in agreement that Penn State Football has become boring.

It’s not so much the play (although our offense almost always fails against a quality defense) as it is the scheduling and the complete lack of a rival. 3 or 4 of the home games are total crap.

I know this has been discussed before, but Penn State should be playing Pitt every season. In what other state do just two BCS football schools exist and don’t play eachother anually regardless of conference affiliation? Ohio State and Cinci? Cinci was in the MAC up until recently.

Almost nothing is done in the interest of the fans.

An uninspiring regular season that loses steam once you lose a few games followed by a postseason of meaningless exhibition games. I can’t think of a more ridiculous post season than one where your game has no consequence. How many times can Penn State play in the Outback Bowl? It’s an opportunity for the geeks to brag about which league is better or to hear the same tired comments about can the Big Ten match up with the speed of the SEC.

I think the addition of Nebraska and the Big Ten Championship game will make the regular season.

Eventually the bowls won’t be viable because the younger generation isn’t going to spend their money on this nonsense like the older generation does. The kids of today aren’t as into sports as their parents and are less loyal when the record isn’t undefeated. There will eventually be a tournament.[/quote]

Kentucky?

Kentucky and Louisville play.

Cincy was in the CUSA (as was Louisville), not the MAC.

Kentucky and Louisville have been playing eachother every year.