Fran McCaffery to be the next Iowa head coach

http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/mccaffery-is-headed-to-iowa/7854/

Ouch. Now we’ll see, probably quickly, 2-3 years, if location, weather, lack of real legacy, football school, yada yada, really can keep a program from winning. IMO, he’ll have Iowa in top 6 of conference within 3 years. He turned Siena around very quickly, maybe 2 years. And did you see his OOC this year? St. John’s, Temple, Georgia Tech. This is a MAAC team playing an OOC probably equal to PSU’s. And in the tourney, they played Purdue closer than we did, losing 72-64. Will be interesting to see who he schedules at Iowa. Bet it’s closer to Michigan’s than ours.

[quote="NationBuilder, post:1, topic:1058"][url=http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/mccaffery-is-headed-to-iowa/7854/]http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/mccaffery-is-headed-to-iowa/7854/[/url][/quote] Ouch. Now we'll see, probably quickly, 2-3 years, if location, weather, lack of real legacy, football school, yada yada, really can keep a program from winning. IMO, he'll have Iowa in top 6 of conference within 3 years. He turned Siena around very quickly, maybe 2 years. And did you see his OOC this year? St. John's, Temple, Georgia Tech. This is a MAAC team playing an OOC probably equal to PSU's. And in the tourney, [b]they played Purdue closer than we did, losing 72-64[/b]. Will be interesting to see who he schedules at Iowa. Bet it's closer to Michigan's than ours.
Saturday, March 6, Purdue 64 - Penn State 60 4 point differential Friday, March 19, Purdue 72 - Siena 64 8 point differential

Duh on me. Here I always believed that 4 was lesser (closer) than 8. Thanks for “educating” us kid. Must be that “new math” ::slight_smile:

[quote="NationBuilder, post:1, topic:1058"][url=http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/mccaffery-is-headed-to-iowa/7854/]http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/mccaffery-is-headed-to-iowa/7854/[/url][/quote] Ouch. Now we'll see, probably quickly, 2-3 years, if location, weather, lack of real legacy, football school, yada yada, really can keep a program from winning. IMO, he'll have Iowa in top 6 of conference within 3 years. He turned Siena around very quickly, maybe 2 years. And did you see his OOC this year? St. John's, Temple, Georgia Tech. This is a MAAC team playing an OOC probably equal to PSU's. And in the tourney, [b]they played Purdue closer than we did, losing 72-64[/b]. Will be interesting to see who he schedules at Iowa. Bet it's closer to Michigan's than ours.
Saturday, March 6, Purdue 64 - Penn State 60 4 point differential Friday, March 19, Purdue 72 - Siena 64 8 point differential

Duh on me. Here I always believed that 4 was lesser (closer) than 8. Thanks for “educating” us kid. Must be that “new math” ::slight_smile:

Come on, spike. We played Purdue TWICE. Lost by 20 then lost by 4.

Sorry, didn’t look it up, but now that I did, I guess you wanted to avoid the 1/31 game, Purdue 66, PSU 46. Take the two PSU losses, divide the difference by 2, and you get…well, you can figure it out. So, the statement, “they played Purdue closer than we did”, is er, correct. Capiche?

Sorry, didn’t look it up, but now that I did, I guess you wanted to avoid the 1/31 game, Purdue 66, PSU 46. Take the two PSU losses, divide the difference by 2, and you get…well, you can figure it out. So, the statement, “they played Purdue closer than we did”, is er, correct. Capiche?

Look it up? You saying that you can’t remember the result from a game played at the start of this month? Here’s a hint. Get some facts first.

On March 6th, Penn State played Purdue closer than Siena did on March 19th. Same team with the same current roster of players. What happened on January 31st is moot. Why you might ask? Because both teams played Purdue AFTER the Hummel injury and since the first game was played against the Boilers WITH Hummel in the lineup and Siena NEVER played Purdue with Hummel, it is incorrect to compare the two results, unless you are trying to use “new math” to prove a point that is now unprovable.

This could actually help us somewhat because it will provide an additional Big Ten presence in the Philly area. With DeChellis and McCaffery both recruiting the Philly area, kids down there might actually start paying attention to the Big Ten.

IMO, he'll have Iowa in top 6 of conference within 3 years.

Something tells me your opinion might be slightly bias here. Care to explain how his recruiting of all jersey, ny, and pa kids is going to translate to Iowa so quickly? In my opinion, he’s got a bigger mess on his hands than you’re prepared to admit.

[quote="NationBuilder, post:1, topic:1058"][url=http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/mccaffery-is-headed-to-iowa/7854/]http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/mccaffery-is-headed-to-iowa/7854/[/url][/quote] Ouch. Now we'll see, probably quickly, 2-3 years, if location, weather, lack of real legacy, football school, yada yada, really can keep a program from winning. IMO, he'll have Iowa in top 6 of conference within 3 years. He turned Siena around very quickly, maybe 2 years. And did you see his OOC this year? St. John's, Temple, Georgia Tech. This is a MAAC team playing an OOC probably equal to PSU's. And in the tourney, they played Purdue closer than we did, losing 72-64. Will be interesting to see who he schedules at Iowa. Bet it's closer to Michigan's than ours.

You are still overlooking what I have said for years is our geographical problem. Specifically, we are an Eastern school in a midwestern conference. McCaffrey does not face those problems at Iowa.

Something tells me your opinion might be slightly bias here. Care to explain how his recruiting of all jersey, ny, and pa kids is going to translate to Iowa so quickly? In my opinion, he’s got a bigger mess on his hands than you’re prepared to admit.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. He sounded like a great fit here because he would be recruiting players from the same geographic region. I’m not sure how he will do out in Iowa.

FWIW, the opinions being expressed on various Iowa message boards seem to be about 2-1 against this hire.

It should also be noted that there are some people who, apparently, are expressing that they don’t even know who McCaffrey is? :-[

They still seem to think they are getting Bruce Pearl. ::slight_smile:

Fran spent 11 seasons as an asst coach at Notre Dame. Should know his way around the midwest. PLUS that is why you hire asst coaches…recruiting ability in targeted areas.

Which is all well and good, but his roster at Siena right now included 99 percent of kids from NY, PA, and NJ. So he’s going to have to find some pretty good midwest coaches if he’s going to make the splash kid claims he will.

I’m not saying he couldn’t find success there - but more often than not coaches fail at making the jump from successful mid-major to bottom-dweller high-major. kid only loves the hire because he wears Siena pajamas.

Narrows down the search for Seton Hall. Looks like its Rice or Willard. Fran was clearly looking for the cash. Many Pirate fans didn’t want him for that reason… he didn’t really want to coach at SHU.

One article said Lickliter was earning $1.2 million? Thats a huge raise from $350,000 or whatever Fran was getting at Siena.

Fran spent 11 seasons as an asst coach at Notre Dame. Should know his way around the midwest. PLUS that is why you hire asst coaches............recruiting ability in targeted areas.

Which is all well and good, but his roster at Siena right now included 99 percent of kids from NY, PA, and NJ. So he’s going to have to find some pretty good midwest coaches if he’s going to make the splash kid claims he will.

I’m not saying he couldn’t find success there - but more often than not coaches fail at making the jump from successful mid-major to bottom-dweller high-major. kid only loves the hire because he wears Siena pajamas.

The Siena “pajamas” may be nice. They have a “cool” mascot. I think they are the “Fighting St. Bernards.” :wink:

Something tells me your opinion might be slightly bias here. Care to explain how his recruiting of all jersey, ny, and pa kids is going to translate to Iowa so quickly? In my opinion, he’s got a bigger mess on his hands than you’re prepared to admit.[/quote]

See Craftsy, Lar disagrees with you. He says it’ll be easier for him than Ed at PSU. We do have a locality and weather edge vs. University of Alaska, but they don’t have much comp for the kids in the Yukon. I met Fran once, IMO, he’ll make it work. Might take longer, but you’ll see steady progress, and if you’d like to wager, he won’t finish last 4 times in 7 years.

Lar, you have a point, and I agree. But that has to be overcome. Football does it, as do some other sports. Need to look for solutions, not excuses. ND and Louisville are Midwestern schools in an Eastern conference, as is Marquette.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:8, topic:1058"][quote]IMO, he'll have Iowa in top 6 of conference within 3 years.[/quote]

See Craftsy, Lar disagrees with you. He says it’ll be easier for him than Ed at PSU. We do have a locality and weather edge vs. University of Alaska, but they don’t have much comp for the kids in the Yukon. I met Fran once, IMO, he’ll make it work. Might take longer, but you’ll see steady progress, and if you’d like to wager, he won’t finish last 4 times in 7 years.

Lar, you have a point, and I agree. But that has to be overcome. Football does it, as do some other sports. Need to look for solutions, not excuses. ND and Louisville are Midwestern schools in an Eastern conference, as is Marquette.

It’s not an issue in football because the conference and PSU are the front runners and the others are trying to catch up with us. High school kids in PA want to play ball for PSU first, other schools second. One look at the Lambert trophy which PSU has won 24 times under Paterno proves that we are the #1 program in the East and have been for a long, long time. The Big Ten is also considered to be a much superior football conference than the Big East. You don’t have to sell PSU and the Big Ten to a football player in PA, but you sure do to a basketball player in PA.

I agree that we’re a Eastern school in a Midwest conference, which hurts us in MBB probably more than in any other sport. That by itself is not a program-killing liability if other program assets were in place, which they are not.

If you isolate on what’s best for Penn State MBB only, the best Big Ten expansion scenario would be to add Rutgers or Syracuse, which would bring the Big Ten much more into the consciousnesses of blue-chip Eastern basketball recruits.

[quote="NationBuilder, post:1, topic:1058"][url=http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/mccaffery-is-headed-to-iowa/7854/]http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/mccaffery-is-headed-to-iowa/7854/[/url][/quote] Ouch. [b]Now we'll see, probably quickly, 2-3 years, if location, weather, lack of real legacy, football school, yada yada, really can keep a program from winning. IMO, he'll have Iowa in top 6 of conference within 3 years[/b]. He turned Siena around very quickly, maybe 2 years. And did you see his OOC this year? St. John's, Temple, Georgia Tech. This is a MAAC team playing an OOC probably equal to PSU's. And in the tourney, they played Purdue closer than we did, losing 72-64. Will be interesting to see who he schedules at Iowa. Bet it's closer to Michigan's than ours.

Isn’t that what they said about Lickliter?

this is a little far fetched and very indirect. McCaffery at PSU would help us, not McCaffery at Iowa.