For those who like to bash Curley

Sometimes perhaps rightfully so in the context of Basketball (mens). Penn State is currently 3rd in the country in what used to be the Sears Cup for all sports. There is much right going on at PSU right now. The track program for both men and ladies is on the rise (already good). With the building of a new softball field and some of the pitching recruits coming in that program has momentum. The lady Lions should be markedly better next year with the addition of two 4-5 star recruits in Lucas and Edwards. The wrestling program is one of the top 2-3 destinations for high school recruits with Sanderson. The potential for the mens soccer is there to be had now that Gorman has moved on. The ladies soccer team is on the verge with 2-3 of the nations top 25 recruits coming in again this year (they are already what 11 time defending champs in the big 10). There is much upward momentum in a lot of our programs right now. Wait until they get a full size pool and see what happens there as well. Just think people get fixated on what is wrong sometimes, Curley deserves more then a bow or two along the way as well. :wink:

All the more reason to bash him over men’s basketball. He refuses to hold one single program to the same standard he has set everywhere else in his athletic department. They would win the (former) Sears Cup if he would quit holding onto a pipe dream that some flunky Parkhill assistant A) deserves a big ten job, B) can turn around a program in this bad of shape. … I’m not sympathetic. 4 last place finishes in 7 seasons screams that something needs to be fixed. The common fix is at head coach, not making ridiculous excuses about being “close” 4 years ago (or declaring recruiting for this one sport to be a location constrained impossibility via his apologist disciples)

psu dc…so am I reading a congradulations in there somewhere? Would that hurt just a litte bit

excuse my spelling

no, I refuse to congratulate him. In fact this shows me that his neglect of this program has caused him to fail at meeting his own career goals. He stated long ago that his goal was winning the Sears Cup. Now he is very close but has done nothing about the embarrassingly awful men’s basketball program. It seems to me that even moderate success in basketball might allow him to win a Sears Cup, which is supposedly his goal. In my opinion, he has either A) bought into bogus arguments that this program can’t win, or B) seeks to avoid a political fight with Paterno over hiring a higher profile basketball coach, at the expense of the program. I find neither acceptable.

Curley is Steinbrenner. Given enough money to throw around, you tend to get some results.

The trick is EARNING that money. Thanks to JoePa, there’s no way he can goof up the cash cow. That’s one of my biggest concerns when JoePa retires. Then, Curley will be able to get his hands on the football program. Then, everyone better stand by for some really bad days ahead. :’(

I still think the when Joe goes, Curley goes too. I don’t mean fired but I think Curley will take a job with in the Big Ten or NCAA. As long Joe is the coach, Curely is teflon but once Paterno retires, he will get media focus. If anything thinks Curely will be the on choosing the Football coach, I think you don’t know how PSU politics works. The new coach will be decided by BOT and Spanier.

It was time for Gorman. Except for Yeisley, the talent level was down. They “hit the jackpot” with Yeisley who was not a high profile recruit.

The fact that most/all other PSU sports are doing well shines even a greater negative light on PSU men’s hoops. ALL of the other PSU sports can attract high quality athletes in all shapes, sizes, races and genders to come to PSU BUT NOT men’s Basketball. It’s the HC who is the primary responsible person. Of course, Curley watches and does nothing.

P.S. I am not sure PSU women’s hoops are “out of the woods.”

28 or so scholarship programs and all you can say is some results and make an analogy about Steinbrenner. Never thought I would hear someone mix up Curley with Steinbrenner…Right now there are only two other schools in America with better results. That is a fact…

Agree about Gorman…I didn’t say the women are out of the woods but I think it is clear that the talent level brought the last two years exceeds what they had been able to bringin for a long time. Greene and Bentley from last year along with Lucas and Edwards this year. Back to back Parade All Americans in Lucas and Bentley. It had been quite a while since we had done that. Lucas in the McDonalds game recognized going into the game as one of the best shooters winning the 3 pt contest. Edwards from Christ the King of University of Conn fame the alma mater of Sue Bird (Conn)and Holdsclaw(Tenn) that won the State Championship of New York this year. Edwards won the player of the year award in the City. Between Edwards, Greene with help from Talia East from Philly (a great rebounder from Freinds Central) we should have quickness and size down low that we have been lacking for years. This year will be important to keep the recruiting momentum going and replace the departed coach. But it is very clear that we would have never landed any of these players in previous years. I doubt we would have gotten a look from anyone from Christ the King for sure. Christ the King has one of the top players in the country almost year in and year out. That was a huge get as was Lucas. So I think they are on the way.

Right now the PSU athletics program is a really good looking lady with some horrendous teeth (the basketball program). It’s time to admit things aren’t perfect and get some braces. Sure, things might seem worse for a little bit but in the long run it will really pay off.

You are right, mixing Curley and Steinbrenner is too good for Curley.

Let me give you a fact, psujb…

Here are the Sears Director Cup standings for the past 4 seasons:

Historical Sears Director’s Cup Standings

05-06 - 15th
06-07 - 21st
07-08 - 9th
08-09 - 19th

This, coming from a school which is a PERENIAL Top 5 revenue producer.

That myth about Penn State having a ‘top notch’ Athletic Program doesn’t seem to ring so true with these standings, does it? Those days are gone.

I am equally disappointed in the results of the baseball team. I expected a marked improvement in talent and results when we opened that beautiful ballpark. Perhaps a little tummy-tuck to go with the braces after next year? :wink:

I was NOT trying to be argumentive. It looks like you follow the girls very closely. Thank you for the info and please keep the good news coming!! I think we just “missed” on Holdsclaw coming out of HS.

Skeeza, I consider that pretty darn good, not as good as well can be but obviously better then 95% of the US. In that regard your venom is a tad harsh. Since you like to research find out where the top 10 revenue universities fall by comparison. That would be interesting to see as well. That would mean a little more if that is the criteria you want to use. Go for it. I still don’t get holding up Steinbrenner as a model for anyone. What does that have to do with us. I would be interested to see who your role model would be however.

One could make a case for coaching changes for MLAX, WLAX, WGOLF, Baseball, WTEN (and, of course, MBB). I’ll bet you’ll see at least one and maybe two or three of these head coaches step down in the coming weeks. WBB seems to be moving in the right direction, but they must take another step forward in 2010-11 to silence the critics (some of whom will never get over Rene’s departure).

Barry Gorman’s resignation was a bit of a surprise, although I long suspected he wanted to step up a level (and he did, as technical director of FC Dallas of the MLS). Some observers believe that MSOC has a chance to improve from the change.

You won’t find any Division I programs without a few struggling teams. However, basketball being such a highly visible sport, Penn State’s tradition of MBB mediocrity stands out. As others have noted, that mediocrity hasn’t yet harmed the Penn State brand because Penn State Football dwarfs MBB so much and, consequently, Curley and his predecessors could tolerate a MBB program that maintained the “Honor” if not the “Success.”

Someone with insight into the Paterno Family last weekend offered me a scenario I hadn’t previously contemplated concerning Curley’s eventual successor: JayPa. Makes sense on a couple levels. Jay is not going to succeed Joe as HC, all the powers that be realize it would incite a media and fan insurrection. But think about the AD job. Jay is bright and articulate, he certainly knows The Penn State Way, and this would be a way of extending the brand and Paterno Power past Joe and Sue. Just food for thought.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:16, topic:1137”]One could make a case for coaching changes for MLAX, WLAX, WGOLF, Baseball, WTEN (and, of course, MBB). I’ll bet you’ll see at least one and maybe two or three of these head coaches step down in the coming weeks. WBB seems to be moving in the right direction, but they must take another step forward in 2010-11 to silence the critics (some of whom will never get over Rene’s departure).

Barry Gorman’s resignation was a bit of a surprise, although I long suspected he wanted to step up a level (and he did, as technical director of FC Dallas of the MLS). Some observers believe that MSOC has a chance to improve from the change.

You won’t find any Division I programs without any struggling teams. However, basketball being such a highly visible sport, Penn State’s tradition of MBB mediocrity stands out. Yet, as others have noted, that mediocrity hasn’t yet harmed the Penn State brand because Penn State Football dwarfs MBB so much, and consequently Curley and his predecessors could tolerate a MBB program that maintained the “Honor” if not the “Success.”

Someone with insight into the Paterno Family last weekend offered me a scenario I hadn’t previously contemplated concerning Curley’s eventual successor: JayPa. Makes sense on a couple levels. Jay is not going to succeed Joe as HC, all the powers that be realize it would incite a media and fan insurrection. But think about the AD job. Jay is bright and articulate, he certainly knows The Penn State Way, and this would be a way of extending the brand and Paterno Power past Joe and Sue. Just food for thought. [/quote]

From everything JoePa says, this is not the case. I don’t think even Joe himself wants JayPa to take over duties at Penn State. I don’t think JayPa would rise above QB coach under JoePa’s tenure, and I doubt he will afterwards. Joe has said before the Jay needs to move somewhere else if he wants to move up.

Skeeza, yes, even Joe agrees that Jay must go elsewhere and prove his coaching bona fides before aspiring to return to University Park as the successor to Joe’s successor. However, the AD job is a different animal.

Joe stage managed Curley’s ascension to the AD job at the end of Joab Thomas’s tenure as University president. Believe me, Joe and Sue have the power on campus to stage manage Jay into the AD job if they were determined to do it. Never forget that Joe is a master of bureaucratic politics, as Graham Spanier has discovered.

It might be Fran Ganter or Greg Myford or even someone else on the athletic department staff, but it is unimaginable to me that Curley’s successor would be someone who did not have an ongoing, positive relationship with JoePa so long as Joe is head football coach. And, for better or worse, only God will decide when Joe is finished coaching.

Does this mean the Bookstore will soon be selling Top 5 “used to be Sears Cup” t-shirts to proudly proclaim the accomplishments this athletic year? ::slight_smile:

Just a comment on this, Yiesley got his first minutes with FC Dallas a week ago. Good for him, I hope we can get him to anchor our backline in New York soon.