For the Ed detractors out there

For you Craftsy.

I will always support the team even if I don’t agree with who might be on the bench.

I think you forgot where and when. ;D

I will always support the team even if I don't agree who with how might be on the bench.

I think you forgot where and when. ;D

Guess you can see how confused I am after this season.

Why do I get the feeling Craftsy voted no? ;D

I won’t be voting because i don’t fit the qualifications listed in the thread title. It doesn’t matter anyways, people will say whatever they think is the right answer, not what they actually will be feeling.

I love you too. :-*

That’s right Craftsy, anyone who thinks its time for Ed to move on is also a liar. Or at least 8 out of the 9 that have voted at 10:07PM. ::slight_smile: We all have an agenda. We aren’t PSU fans, we are Ed haters. And once he’s gone we will all follow him to whatever job he moves onto so we can rail against him some more. Our sole purpose is to ruin this man. >:(

Seriously man, the world isn’t as sinister as you think. Just because we think a coaching change should be made doesn’t make us liars and/or bad people. ::slight_smile:

And likewise I’m not as blindly loyal to a coach as you seem to think I am.

I’ve actually been on your side of the argument before, although I was in the minority then also. Back when Bill Cowher was the head coach of the Steelers I used to frequent several Steelers boards quite a bit… by the late 90’s I was ready for the man to go, and very few felt the same way. Eventually he wound up winning a superbowl despite his best efforts not to, but there were 3-4 teams prior to that one which should’ve had much better seasons and did not primarily because of his preparation as a head coach. It was hard for people to understand why I’d want Cowher gone, as he was a great person and a very inspiring guy on the sidelines - but he lacked all understanding of in-game situations and was constantly out-coached by the better coaches in the league.

My extreme disappointment with him came from the fact that he had the players to win titles and failed to. Most would’ve called him a success because he got us to the playoffs most years, but I called him a failure because he played so far below expectations for the talent level he had on his hands.

If that were the case here, I’d be completely in the Ed must go camp with you guys. But what everyone seems so quick to forget is how this was supposed to be a down year. If we had won 6 games this year, it would’ve fallen in line with almost everyone’s expectations for the year but everyone would still be terribly upset because we wouldn’t have really looked that much better. But this season was in line with MY expectations because I realized this type of season was very likely to happen coming into this season, and i didn’t lose sight of that as the season played out like this. many say they’re okay with only winning 6 games before the season, but when they have to actually sit there and endure 12 losses it’s not quite as peachy as they thought it would be and opinions quickly start changing.

That’s my real issue here. I could go back and dig up that BT wins expectations poll and prove that almost everyone realized we would struggle - so where was the outrage about Ed to start the year then? People are letting their emotions get in the way of rational thought, not realizing that this season played out how it was supposed to for the most part.

Next season is and always has been the make or break year, and I’m not going to let this season’s slightly lower than expected finish, or the blowout finale of the season, all of a sudden make me forget that. It’s always been about performance against expectations for me… I expected it to take 5-8 years for a new coach to make his mark here, and while it seems like next year being a vast improvement could be a long shot right now I’m sticking with Ed until next season because it’s setup to be the best year he’s had at Penn State and a potential spring-board or epic failure for him. That’s when I’ll make my decision about his future.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:9, topic:956”]And likewise I’m not as blindly loyal to a coach as you seem to think I am.

I’ve actually been on your side of the argument before, although I was in the minority then also. Back when Bill Cowher was the head coach of the Steelers I used to frequent several Steelers boards quite a bit… by the late 90’s I was ready for the man to go, and very few felt the same way. Eventually he wound up winning a superbowl despite his best efforts not to, but there were 3-4 teams prior to that one which should’ve had much better seasons and did not primarily because of his preparation as a head coach. It was hard for people to understand why I’d want Cowher gone, as he was a great person and a very inspiring guy on the sidelines - but he lacked all understanding of in-game situations and was constantly out-coached by the better coaches in the league.

My extreme disappointment with him came from the fact that he had the players to win titles and failed to. Most would’ve called him a success because he got us to the playoffs most years, but I called him a failure because he played so far below expectations for the talent level he had on his hands.

If that were the case here, I’d be completely in the Ed must go camp with you guys. But what everyone seems so quick to forget is how this was supposed to be a down year. If we had won 6 games this year, it would’ve fallen in line with almost everyone’s expectations for the year but everyone would still be terribly upset because we wouldn’t have really looked that much better. But this season was in line with MY expectations because I realized this type of season was very likely to happen coming into this season, and i didn’t lose sight of that as the season played out like this. many say they’re okay with only winning 6 games before the season, but when they have to actually sit there and endure 12 losses it’s not quite as peachy as they thought it would be and opinions quickly start changing.

That’s my real issue here. I could go back and dig up that BT wins expectations poll and prove that almost everyone realized we would struggle - so where was the outrage about Ed to start the year then? People are letting their emotions get in the way of rational thought, not realizing that this season played out how it was supposed to for the most part.

Next season is and always has been the make or break year, and I’m not going to let this season’s slightly lower than expected finish, or the blowout finale of the season, all of a sudden make me forget that. It’s always been about performance against expectations for me… I expected it to take 5-8 years for a new coach to make his mark here, and while it seems like next year being a vast improvement could be a long shot right now I’m sticking with Ed until next season because it’s setup to be the best year he’s had at Penn State and a potential spring-board or epic failure for him. That’s when I’ll make my decision about his future.[/quote]

Good Post. There are no excuses next year its sink or swim. The one thing I dont want to happen is us having a middle of the road season that gets us to the NIT and Ed is retained. IMO its NCAA or bust next year.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:9, topic:956”]That’s my real issue here. I could go back and dig up that BT wins expectations poll and prove that almost everyone realized we would struggle - so where was the outrage about Ed to start the year then? People are letting their emotions get in the way of rational thought, not realizing that this season played out how it was supposed to for the most part.

Next season is and always has been the make or break year, and I’m not going to let this season’s slightly lower than expected finish, or the blowout finale of the season, all of a sudden make me forget that. It’s always been about performance against expectations for me… I expected it to take 5-8 years for a new coach to make his mark here, and while it seems like next year being a vast improvement could be a long shot right now I’m sticking with Ed until next season because it’s setup to be the best year he’s had at Penn State and a potential spring-board or epic failure for him. That’s when I’ll make my decision about his future.[/quote]

Agree 100% with this.

Good Post. There are no excuses next year its sink or swim. The one thing I dont want to happen is us having a middle of the road season that gets us to the NIT and Ed is retained. IMO its NCAA or bust next year.

I can get behind that for the most part. I think there are probably circumstances where he makes the NCAA and still should be passed on, and circumstances where he doesn’t make the NCAA and gets kept… but it’s basically going to come down to that.

Do I think he will take us there next year? Right now I’d say it’s probably 45%-ish… lots of variables this off-season, but I still think the guys we have are good enough to get us there.

I can get behind that for the most part. I think there are probably circumstances where he makes the NCAA and still should be passed on, and circumstances where he doesn’t make the NCAA and gets kept… but it’s basically going to come down to that.

Do I think he will take us there next year? Right now I’d say it’s probably 45%-ish… lots of variables this off-season, but I still think the guys we have are good enough to get us there.[/quote]

I don’t think he can because the post is a real problem. One player is not going to fix it and don’t see anyone turning a Gysai like senior season. Other is defense and that one will be the achilles more then anything else.

Do I think he will take us there next year? Right now I’d say it’s probably 45%-ish… lots of variables this off-season, but I still think the guys we have are good enough to get us there.[/quote]

I don’t see any circumstance where he could miss the NCAA next year and be retained. Even if there are a lot of injuries or something - this program seems to be going nowhere under him. The best 3 players on the team next year will be guards, that doesn’t speak to great recruiting. I just don’t get what he is doing. If Dunn was fired after 8 years - Ed is getting a huge gift to even enter year 8.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:12, topic:956"][quote]Good Post. There are no excuses next year its sink or swim. The one thing I dont want to happen is us having a middle of the road season that gets us to the NIT and Ed is retained. IMO its NCAA or bust next year.[/quote]

I don’t think he can because the post is a real problem. One player is not going to fix it and don’t see anyone turning a Gysai like senior season. Other is defense and that one will be the achilles more then anything else.

Im not saying he WILL do it, just that if he doesn’t he shouldn’t be retained. Personally im 50-50 if he can get it done next year anyway. It all hinges on Jones and Brooks developing and/or bringing in a JUCO big man that will make a solid difference in the post. Look, Ed has had arguably the best to come through PSU in the last 20 years and if he cant make it happen with a player and competitor like Talor, it just isn’t going to happen IMO.

The ‘NCAA or bust’ year came and went about 2 or 3 years ago. PSU just does not operate in the same world as the rest of the Big Ten (although they should). I don’t know why Ed doesn’t just step down. There is no direction for this program right now. All it really did this year was prove again that we get better athletes than Northwestern, have no post play, and get outcoached by most.

I just want to win

I don’t really get the poll. Will I support our coach if he brings the team to the NCAAs? Support him as in want him to stick around? I think the NCAAs would be the worst thing for this PROGRAM, in a weird way. That would definitely keep ED for a few more years. After this junior class is gone, 3 wins in the B10 will be our max unless ED pulls a magical recruiting class out of his ass.

I want the team to win the national championship. I support the program and the team through thick and thin… but I don’t think ED is the man for the job… its that simple. Hes had a huge sample size to get the job done and the best he could produce was last year, which was followed by 3 wins in the B10, 2 atrocious OOC losses and a blowout in the first round of the BTT.

And for people who think that once we get rid of ED that NCAA tournament bids are going to sprout out of the pavement of the BJC parking lot are delusional. There will be a 2~ year dark age in order to rebuild. PSU needs to man up and bring the dark ages on ASAP so this program can move in the right direction.

[quote=“pmhewitt, post:5, topic:956”]Why do I get the feeling Craftsy voted no? ;D[/quote]Because we are on the right track…Which track that is I have no idea but he says were on it ;D

[quote="Craftsy21, post:9, topic:956"]That's my real issue here. I could go back and dig up that BT wins expectations poll and prove that almost everyone realized we would struggle - so where was the outrage about Ed to start the year then? People are letting their emotions get in the way of rational thought, not realizing that this season played out how it was supposed to for the most part.

Next season is and always has been the make or break year, and I’m not going to let this season’s slightly lower than expected finish, or the blowout finale of the season, all of a sudden make me forget that. It’s always been about performance against expectations for me… I expected it to take 5-8 years for a new coach to make his mark here, and while it seems like next year being a vast improvement could be a long shot right now I’m sticking with Ed until next season because it’s setup to be the best year he’s had at Penn State and a potential spring-board or epic failure for him. That’s when I’ll make my decision about his future. [/quote]

Agree 100% with this.

Ditto