Following the numbers

For the most part we’re all drinking kool aid–just different flavors, that’s the beauty of sports, I can make my team as good or as bad as they are…or as I see them to be(in my head.) Recently people have been asking how many mental pushups we’re putting behind our gallon of kool aid, or if we’re just throwing around the drink…so I figured I’d offer this service up to try and water down the flavor of choice. After each game I’m going to update the season averages in 6 Offensive and 5 Defensive areas and compare them to last season. We’ll start with the stats that we have now since 5 games is a pretty decent set of data to go off of.

It is true that no amount of looking at stats will change the fact that we lost a game or won it, but it could be a basis of fact that we can at least work off of to see how our progress is going. We’ll be using last year’s team as a basis of what we see Penn State basketball success as being. (Just go with that, I imagine we’d relive last year every year if we could in some form or another)

After each game–The YTD stats will be updated and the stat’s change compared to the prior game will be followed by a (+ or -) when a stat moves in favor of the Lions it (+,-) will be Green, not in favor, Red and how much they changed. After each 5 games I’ll post a summary of how each stat has changed in those 5 games to get a sense of trends that might be happening. I hope that by doing so we can track different areas of our play in a simple and straight forward way.

Wanna check the numbers yourself?-
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/psu-m-baskbl-archive.html
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/psu-m-baskbl-stats.html

The first number is the YTD comparision to last year, the second number is the total change since the previous game. If it’s a good change for us it’s green, bad change it’s red.

THIS UPDATE:::Sacred Heart–>UVA

Offense 2008-09:
PPG-67.0
Assists-
Rebounds-
FG%-
Three Pt%-
FT%-

Defense:
PPG-62.6
Assists-13.4
Rebounds-30.9
FG%-43
Three Pt%-32.7

Offense 2009-10:
PPG-70.2---------( -.2)
Assists-12.9-------(-.1)
Rebounds-34.0-----(+.7)
FG%-43.7----------(+.1)
Three Pt%-33.3 —(+.3)
FT%-75.7----------(-2.2)

Defense:
PPG-65.3 ---------( +.1)
Assists-12.4-------(-.4)
Rebounds-32.1— (+.3)
FG%- 42.9--------(-.4)
Three Pt%-38.4—(+1.8)

If anybody wants me to add a stat or two to follow just let me know

Coincidently, I was planning on doing something similar this week only using tempo-free stats. I’m also going to play with some individual stats along with it. My intention is to fire HappyValleyHoops back up and concentrate on the stats side rather than just echoing many of the published articles like I’ve done in the past. tjb and I have been discussing how to integrate some of it into this site.

Good work Gameday.

[quote="NGameday, post:2, topic:331"]If anybody wants me to add a stat or two to follow just let me know[/quote]

Coincidently, I was planning on doing something similar this week only using tempo-free stats. I’m also going to play with some individual stats along with it. My intention is to fire HappyValleyHoops back up and concentrate on the stats side rather than just echoing many of the published articles like I’ve done in the past. tjb and I have been discussing how to integrate some of it into this site.

We feel free to do just that I dont wanna steal any thunder, you guys are working on a whole other level so whenever that gets going we can just run with that.

We’re not hitting our threes, and that’s literally the only reason we’re 3-2 and not 4-1 or 5-0. Against Tulane and UNC-Wilmington, this team was 9-39 from three point range! We’re a team that lives and dies by the three, and hitting less than 25% of their attempts from down town isn’t going to beat anyone.

How did we beat Michigan State last year? By hitting 10 of 20 from downtown. When that shot is falling, we can beat any team in the country, and when it’s not, we can lose to anybody. I’ll blame it on the ball, for now, because of how well it was going down in the first few home games.

[quote=“Devon, post:6, topic:331”]We’re not hitting our threes, and that’s literally the only reason we’re 3-2 and not 4-1 or 5-0. Against Tulane and UNC-Wilmington, this team was 9-39 from three point range! We’re a team that lives and dies by the three, and hitting less than 25% of their attempts from down town isn’t going to beat anyone.

How did we beat Michigan State last year? By hitting 10 of 20 from downtown. When that shot is falling, we can beat any team in the country, and when it’s not, we can lose to anybody. I’ll blame it on the ball, for now, because of how well it was going down in the first few home games.[/quote]

I’m glad I’m not the only person who thinks the ball might be involved. I know it sounds so lame…real lame…but I just feel like it had something to do with it.

Been waiting to spike the Kool-Aid nearly everyone has been drinking this preseason/season.

After a 1-2 showing in Charleston, seems about time. :slight_smile:

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:331"]For the most part we’re all drinking kool aid--just different flavors[/quote]

Been waiting to spike the Kool-Aid nearly everyone has been drinking this preseason/season.

After a 1-2 showing in Charleston, seems about time. :slight_smile:

lol, nice name

[quote=“Devon, post:6, topic:331”]We’re not hitting our threes, and that’s literally the only reason we’re 3-2 and not 4-1 or 5-0. Against Tulane and UNC-Wilmington, this team was 9-39 from three point range! We’re a team that lives and dies by the three, and hitting less than 25% of their attempts from down town isn’t going to beat anyone.

How did we beat Michigan State last year? By hitting 10 of 20 from downtown. When that shot is falling, we can beat any team in the country, and when it’s not, we can lose to anybody. I’ll blame it on the ball, for now, because of how well it was going down in the first few home games.[/quote]

Precisely. This is where I think the coaching staff should intervene. PSU is capable of being deadly with its guard play. Just ask Robert Morris. Now, I think its the responsibility of Ed and Talor to realize when the game plan or strngth of the team is out of rhythm and take the ball low for higher percentage shots. I know it sounds simple, but I think the game itself is simple when executed by a disciplined team and coaching staff. Im not saying we have a bad staff, I just think that its becoming evident that part of this learning curve with a new team is discipline. They’ll be just fine 'til that date with Tubby and the Gophers at the Barn in late December.

They did take the ball inside a lot against Tulane and couldn’t finish. Going strictly by the text play-by-play on ESPN, I counted 14 “missed layup” shots taken by a variety of players. Battle had a few, but the frontcourt guys had the bulk of them. That particular game, nothing was falling from anywhere except the foul line. You can’t do that and be successful.

[quote="Devon, post:6, topic:331"]We're not hitting our threes, and that's literally the only reason we're 3-2 and not 4-1 or 5-0. Against Tulane and UNC-Wilmington, this team was 9-39 from three point range! We're a team that lives and dies by the three, and hitting less than 25% of their attempts from down town isn't going to beat anyone.

Precisely. This is where I think the coaching staff should intervene. PSU is capable of being deadly with its guard play. Just ask Robert Morris. Now, I think its the responsibility of Ed and Talor to realize when the game plan or strngth of the team is out of rhythm and take the ball low for higher percentage shots. I know it sounds simple, but I think the game itself is simple when executed by a disciplined team and coaching staff. Im not saying we have a bad staff, I just think that its becoming evident that part of this learning curve with a new team is discipline. They’ll be just fine 'til that date with Tubby and the Gophers at the Barn in late December.

Great advice, but I don’t believe any of the bigs are setting up down low with any regularity to receive the ball. That’s why Battle and Frazier drive so much, forcing shots. There’s no inside option. Check next game. Andrew Jones is not in position. He has 3 FTA’s and 1 assist, so how many catches and kickouts could he be doing? And why isn’t he getting to the line? Ans: cause he’s taking 10’ jumpers and he’s not near the basket. I know DJ and Brooks like to face the basket, but somebody needs to play with his back to the basket and establish position down low. Sasa? He’s got 10 points and 7 rebounds in 40 minutes, and leads the team in shooting percentage at .667(4-6 ;)). But he’s good down low. Maybe he should play in front of Jones.

You certainly can’t. I think this is what Ed is dealing with in trying to find the most potent paint combination. I have an inkling that in the end it may be Sasa and Edwards who get it done the most down low. And it isnt because Jones cant do it, he just need to get back in to the form he finished last season in.

Couple of things.
I agree with “the ball” issue…but that issue is over.
I don’t think it fair to say “well, if only we make our 3’s.” I saw most of the first 2 games and listened to the third and it appeared many of our 3 point shots by Talor were rushed. Many by Babb were rushed and from the ozone layer. What I am saying is that these 3 point shots were NOT good looks or good shots. Thus low expectations of going in. I think it more fair to say the offense failed when we chucked up long range 3 pointers. We were “chuck and ducking” like in years past.
But, it’s still very early in the season. The season is a marathon. November 6th to mid March and then post season tourys. I count 30 games before the BigTen11 Toury. Let’s give it time.
Let’s review our team. We have a 6-0 All American GUARD. That’s is why we are GUARD oriented. It’s easy to say “score inside.” But our taller players are not good inside scorers. (Except Brooks is making good strides.) Battle will always be our star BUT everybody knows that and everybody will be guarding him very strongly. Frazier is coming on very strong. Looks like he is a starter now. BUT…that makes two small guards. Thus we will be a more guard oriented team. Talor feels a strong need to score because he knows that he is the team’s BEST scorer (by far.)
I guess I am rambling BUT my point is to “give it time.” Team chemistry takes time. Now Bill Edwards is added to the mix. I am optimistic for the season. Within reason. I think we will be NIT bound.

Hey folks, stats are updated as of tonight

I don’t understand how the the YTD # can be one color and the +/- a different color. i.e.
F.G.%, as compared to last year is a red 43.6%, and yet it is green 3.4% better than last year. Shouldn’t the 3.4% also be red?

[quote=“Duff, post:16, topic:331”]I don’t understand how the the YTD # can be one color and the +/- a different color. i.e.
F.G.%, as compared to last year is a red 43.6%, and yet it is green 3.4% better than last year. Shouldn’t the 3.4% also be red?[/quote]

The total is Green or Red in comparision to last year (the 43.6) whereas the change is Green if it is in the favor of the team/Red if it is not.

For example: Lets say 43.6% changes to 41.6% that would be a -2% change. That is indicated in red because a decrease that does not favor an improved squad. The YTD however could still be Green if it is still better than last season.

Changes are indicated after every game in a positive or negative fashion, the total is compared to last year, suppose to changes which are compared to the stats prior the game. By doing that you can see if you’re making progress over the season suppose to just seeing how you stack up to last year.

In short if the stats changes are good they’re green, if it’s bad then it’s red

After each game–The YTD stats will be updated and the stat’s change compared to the prior game will be followed by a (+ or -) when a stat moves in favor of the Lions it (+,-) will be Green, not in favor, Red and how much they changed.

Was that a little clearer? Its a bit of a mind bend

So is it that the first number is in comparison to last year, and the second if it got better or worse from the last time you showed stats and or the previous game?übersetzungsbüro Portugiesisch
hair loss cure

[quote="NGameday, post:18, topic:331"]Was that a little clearer? Its a bit of a mind bend[/quote]

So is it that the first number is in comparison to last year, and the second if it got better or worse from the last time you showed stats and or the previous game?

The first is the YTD comparision to last year, the second number is the total change since the previous game. If it’s a good change for us it’s green, bad change it’s red.