First Team All Big Ten

If we finish last in the league, will Talor have a shot? It would be a shame if our poor play hampers his chances. I haven’t paid attention enough in past years to know how much that would work against him.

I’m figuring Turner (probably POY), Lucas, and one of the Purdue trio are locks. Harris and Battle should probably be the other two, but maybe somebody like Hughes or a second of the Purdue trio sneaks in because their teams are having better seasons?

If the Illini continue their winning ways, and that’s a big IF seeing they have a much tougher 2nd half schedule, McCamey should get a good look at being a first-teamer. He’s really stepped it up this season.

[quote=“NICU, post:1, topic:774”]If we finish last in the league, will Talor have a shot? It would be a shame if our poor play hampers his chances. I haven’t paid attention enough in past years to know how much that would work against him.

I’m figuring Turner (probably POY), Lucas, and one of the Purdue trio are locks. Harris and Battle should probably be the other two, but maybe somebody like Hughes or a second of the Purdue trio sneaks in because their teams are having better seasons?[/quote]

No matter how we finish TB will be on the first team. I doubt he’s worried about that at this point.

[quote="NICU, post:1, topic:774"]If we finish last in the league, will Talor have a shot? It would be a shame if our poor play hampers his chances. I haven't paid attention enough in past years to know how much that would work against him.

I’m figuring Turner (probably POY), Lucas, and one of the Purdue trio are locks. Harris and Battle should probably be the other two, but maybe somebody like Hughes or a second of the Purdue trio sneaks in because their teams are having better seasons?[/quote]

No matter how we finish TB will be on the first team. I doubt he’s worried about that at this point.

I doubt he does. I was just thinking about it wondered what other people thought.

If he’s leading his team in PTs, RBs, ASSTs, and STs at the end of the season, then I will bet that he is 1st Team.

[quote=“NICU, post:1, topic:774”]If we finish last in the league, will Talor have a shot? It would be a shame if our poor play hampers his chances. I haven’t paid attention enough in past years to know how much that would work against him.

Purdue trio? Not Moore. Not impressed, but the other two, yes. But what about Shurna? Hummel over Shurna?

Not sure it’s that simple. There’s some very nice players in this league on winning teams, I would think in a close call they should get the nod.

Moore is the leading scorer, 2nd assists, and 3rd rebounds. You might not see it, but he is a smooth efficient scorer, and does some other things for the 2/3 best team in the league. He will certainly get consideration.

I take Hummel over Shurna. Great all around player on one of the top teams in the league. If NW picks it up and makes a push into the top 4/5, then I think he would move ahead of Hummel.

[quote="Skeeza, post:5, topic:774"]If he's leading his team in PTs, RBs, ASSTs, and STs at the end of the season, then I will bet that he is 1st Team.[/quote]

Not sure it’s that simple. There’s some very nice players in this league on winning teams, I would think in a close call they should get the nod.

Agreed. I could see Hughes edging him out. Battle is clearly on the top 5 players, but its hard to make first-team all conference as the PG of the worst team in the conference.

[quote="Skeeza, post:5, topic:774"]If he's leading his team in PTs, RBs, ASSTs, and STs at the end of the season, then I will bet that he is 1st Team.[/quote]

Agreed. I could see Hughes edging him out. Battle is clearly on the top 5 players, but its hard to make first-team all conference as the PG of the worst team in the conference.

Jimmy Jackson during UM/NW had Turner, Lucas, Hughes, Moore and Hummel as his first team all big ten. That sounds about right to me.

Jimmy Jackson during UM/NW had Turner, Lucas, Hughes, Moore and Hummel as his first team all big ten. That sounds about right to me.

I can’t argue against that team.

I can. Manny Harris? Jim Jackson was dead wrong last year. Turner has to make it. I’d go Turner, Harris, Battle, Shurna and Sims. They happen to be the top 5 scorers. Doesn’t mean that it should be, but Hughes? Why? And Moore better than Battle or Harris(or Lucas)? I don’t see it. Why Hummel over Shurna? NW did win at Purdue.

On Turner, as good as he is, he’s got some weaknesses. Like last year, not so hot on 3’s, at 7-25(28%). And for those who criticize Battle for his FT shooting, Turner’s worse at .714. He does lead the league in rebounding and is shooting .556, but sometimes I think we think other players are perfect. Shurna’s made 43 treys, Battle 47.

I can. Manny Harris? Jim Jackson was dead wrong last year. Turner has to make it. I’d go Turner, Harris, Battle, Shurna and Sims. They happen to be the top 5 scorers. Doesn’t mean that it should be, but Hughes? Why? And Moore better than Battle or Harris(or Lucas)? I don’t see it. Why Hummel over Shurna? NW did win at Purdue.

On Turner, as good as he is, he’s got some weaknesses. Like last year, not so hot on 3’s, at 7-25(28%). And for those who criticize Battle for his FT shooting, Turner’s worse at .714. He does lead the league in rebounding and is shooting .556, but sometimes I think we think other players are perfect. Shurna’s made 43 treys, Battle 47.

Well, the first problem with that team is that UM is never going to have two players on the team. They’re the most disappointing team in the big ten, and their effort tonight was terrible. Shurna is having a great year, but he’s not as good as Hummel and Moore.

I think Battle/Harris would be the 6/7th men on JJ’s team. Battle might get the nod over Lucas/Hughes if PSU wasn’t laying such an egg

^That wouldn’t be my team, but it is hard to argue against any of them. The team’s standing in the league needs to be taken into consideration, which is why Harris, Sims, Battle and Shurna will get hurt. The league has a lot of good players. There are going to be good players left off the first team. The team you named would be hard to argue against, but other than Turner, all those players are on teams with a below .500 record in conference. Other than Turner (nobody said he is perfect, but he is the best all-around player in the Big 10, if not the country), there isn’t tons of separation among the other players you mentioned. The teams W/L record is a good determining factor. Moore, Hummel, Hughes, Lucas are 6-9 in scoring, and are all on very successful teams.

Battle’s stats are great, but the possible last place finish will count against him.

Well, the first problem with that team is that UM is never going to have two players on the team. They’re the most disappointing team in the big ten, and their effort tonight was terrible. Shurna is having a great year, but he’s not as good as Hummel and Moore.

I think Battle/Harris would be the 6/7th men on JJ’s team. Battle might get the nod over Lucas/Hughes if PSU wasn’t laying such an egg

Maybe Hummel makes it, but he’s not having a better year than Hummel. Shurna also doesn’t have a center like Johnson.

^That wouldn't be my team, but it is hard to argue against any of them. The team's standing in the league needs to be taken into consideration, which is why Harris, Sims, Battle and Shurna will get hurt. The league has a lot of good players. There are going to be good players left off the first team. The team you named would be hard to argue against, but other than Turner, all those players are on teams with a below .500 record in conference. Other than Turner (nobody said he is perfect, but he is the best all-around player in the Big 10, if not the country), there isn't tons of separation among the other players you mentioned. The teams W/L record is a good determining factor. Moore, Hummel, Hughes, Lucas are 6-9 in scoring, and are all on very successful teams.

Battle’s stats are great, but the possible last place finish will count against him.

Only problem with Turner is he can’t shoot 3’s. Not sure how well his game translates to pros. I like guys that play inside, which he does, but what position is he going to play in pros? Small forward? That works. Some project him as a guard, but he can’t shoot 3’s well enough. It’s also funny that people harp on Battle’s FT shooting and 3point shooting yet overlook it with Turner, cause they just watch the highlight films. 7-25 from the arc is worse than Jeff Brooks.

Maybe Hummel makes it, but he’s not having a better year than Hummel. Shurna also doesn’t have a center like Johnson.

^That wouldn't be my team, but it is hard to argue against any of them. The team's standing in the league needs to be taken into consideration, which is why Harris, Sims, Battle and Shurna will get hurt. The league has a lot of good players. There are going to be good players left off the first team. The team you named would be hard to argue against, but other than Turner, all those players are on teams with a below .500 record in conference. Other than Turner (nobody said he is perfect, but he is the best all-around player in the Big 10, if not the country), there isn't tons of separation among the other players you mentioned. The teams W/L record is a good determining factor. Moore, Hummel, Hughes, Lucas are 6-9 in scoring, and are all on very successful teams.

Only problem with Turner is he can’t shoot 3’s. Not sure how well his game translates to pros. I like guys that play inside, which he does, but what position is he going to play in pros? Small forward? That works. Some project him as a guard, but he can’t shoot 3’s well enough. It’s also funny that people harp on Battle’s FT shooting and 3point shooting yet overlook it with Turner, cause they just watch the highlight films. 7-25 from the arc is worse than Jeff Brooks.

Turner is a top-5 pick in the draft. Many people think he’s the best all-around player in the country. I think he’ll be fine in the pros.

Turner is the definition of the hybrid forward NBA GMs love these days.

I don’t disagree on Turner. He’s looked great. Can’t shoot 3’s though. Who as a hybrid forward do GM’s love these days who can’t shoot 3’s? I think Sims is a better pick. Reminds me of Charles Oakley. BTW, the leading scorers in the Big 10 only are Shurna, Moore, Battle, Sims and Turner, in that order. Then Hummel and Harris. Interestingly, Shurna is 39-43 from the line, Hummel is 38-43. Not sure how it finishes up, but today, no logical reason why Hummel beats out Shurna.

Using your logic, here are our First Team All-Americans. Why not?

1. A. Coleman, Houston 26.2
  2. M. Haynes, Tex Arlngtn 24.5
  3. L. Harangody, N Dame 24.2
  4. J. Hazell, S Hall 23.0
  5. D. Downey, S Carolina 22.9

Shooting might be the easiest skill to improve for players in the NBA. I have seen him hit mid-range jumpers at a good clip, which leads me to believe he will be able to improve his overall shooting. You just mentioned how D Wade can’t shoot, but he has a good mid-range game and has improved his three point shooting. He plays the same as Turner, though faster, better jumper, but not as good a passer, and has been successful. LeBron couldn’t shoot threes well when he first got into the league. Turner will be able to finish at the rim in the NBA, and he will still be able to rebound and create for his teammates. I see the mock drafts are calling Turner a combo guard. Either way you slice it, he is a very skilled perimeter player who will impact the team in a number of areas.

[quote=“NICU, post:19, topic:774”]Using your logic, here are our First Team All-Americans. Why not?

1. A. Coleman, Houston 26.2
  2. M. Haynes, Tex Arlngtn 24.5
  3. L. Harangody, N Dame 24.2
  4. J. Hazell, S Hall 23.0
  5. D. Downey, S Carolina 22.9

Shooting might be the easiest skill to improve for players in the NBA. I have seen him hit mid-range jumpers at a good clip, which leads me to believe he will be able to improve his overall shooting. You just mentioned how D Wade can’t shoot, but he has a good mid-range game and has improved his three point shooting. He plays the same as Turner, though faster, better jumper, but not as good a passer, and has been successful. LeBron couldn’t shoot threes well when he first got into the league. Turner will be able to finish at the rim in the NBA, and he will still be able to rebound and create for his teammates. I see the mock drafts are calling Turner a combo guard. Either way you slice it, he is a very skilled perimeter player who will impact the team in a number of areas.[/quote]

I didn’t say just points. I would pick Sims over Turner. How can you call Turner a perimeter player when he’s not in the top 75 in 3’s in the Big 10? Ridiculous. He plays in the paint. He’s good at it, great dribble drive. He plays big and has a good handle. I don’t see shooting as being the easiest thing to improve. Seen Telfair play much? Turner can play, and I like guys that like to mix it up, and he certainly does. I’d still take Sims first. IMO, he’s a no miss. I think Turner may have trouble scoring in the pros. He was the lowest scorer on the USA team. Turner could turn out like Kobe. We’ll see. You mention Hazell, who has 70 treys. Turner has 7.