PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Finally some news on the State Paddy's Day incident?

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/03/30/2616302/penn-state-basketball-players.html

This really isn’t good for Buie, and I’m surprised by Bowman. Hopefully for Bowman it was a lapse in judgment, I haven’t heard any news about him getting into trouble. I’m also surprised that this was written a month after it happened.

I suspect the charges were only recently filed.

I think that if ED has his sit down with Taran, I’m guessing this might come up during the conversation. And yeah, doesn’t look very good at all for the kid.

[b]This really isn't good for Buie[/b], and I'm surprised by Bowman. Hopefully for Bowman it was a lapse in judgment, I haven't heard any news about him getting into trouble. I'm also surprised that this was written a month after it happened.

I think that if ED has his sit down with Taran, I’m guessing this might come up during the conversation. And yeah, doesn’t look very good at all for the kid.

I’m wondering how much this incident played into ED waiting to have his sit down.

I remember Ed saying he was going to look into before the B10 tourny. It was obviously those guys in the photos so I’m sure he knew what happened and Bowman still made the trip so I’m betting it’s not really a big deal.

It might not be a big deal as an individual event. But I think those 4 need to split up and find some new friends. Trouble seems to keep finding some of them.

I guess I don’t quite understand spending the resources to post “crime” photos on a PD’s website, do the diligence to screen the emails and phone calls in identifying the people, only to turn around and give them summary offenses. Seems there should be something better to utilize one’s time.

My thought is they’re trying to set a tone with SPD. If you put out a lot of police officers but don’t go hard for crime you gain nothing. Go by the book and throw down the hammer people are less likely to mess around.

It could be that once they were identified, they heard their side of the story and then filed the charges that made sense.

I’m not saying that is my assumption, but it does strike me as possible.

You’re forgetting that the cops have a responsibility to the people on the other side of this altercation also. If they have the technology to put up photos and hope they can get ID that way, what excuse would they have NOT to do it? Putting pictures on a website could be handled by anybody, not only a sworn officer. Any administrative person could do it if authorized by the Chief. If SCPD had done nothing, it would have been “Oh, well the athletes get a pass. I see.” They didn’t create this posting capability for this particular incident. It’s been around since the first or second Arts Festival debacle.

You consider it a waste of time, but I would wager you that somebody else involved in this incident does not. JMO.

Note, these weren’t all athletes. There were three other non-athletes cited as well.

If the pics weren’t posted, it’d just be another beer muscle spat in a college town on a Saturday night.

[quote=“Tom, post:12, topic:2285”]Note, these weren’t all athletes. There were three other non-athletes cited as well.

If the pics weren’t posted, it’d just be another beer muscle spat in a college town on a Saturday night.[/quote]

Doesn’t make it right, still. Honestly, I get kind of offended when the stock rationalization for a fight with athletes is “well, how many college guys didn’t get into fights?”

Many, actually. A large % of kids don’t go out on any given weekend for a variety of reasons, and a large % of those who do go out don’t do dumb stuff to the point of it being illegal.

And that’s probably what it is, but people were identified and the cops aren’t going to stick their necks out by ignoring their responsibility to the public. (Now you’ll cite me a million examples of things that do get ignored, I know) But this isn’t 1980. People hold the po-po accountable and love to make problems for them. It’s a summary. It’s warranted by the facts. The kids aren’t going to Leavenworth but it does jam up their athletic standing. This is the age where the police, if they can identify you with a crime, you’re going to be outta luck. We’ve gone down this road again and again with the football team. Yes, in the grand scheme of things it’s BS but the days of letting it go are gone. Open records, freedom of information act, no cop is going to lose a pension or get days on the street for ignoring something when all he had to do was write out a ticket. This is reality. People don’t like it, but there it is. The guys, ALL our guys, our athletes have to start understanding this.

The real story at this point is that a couple of these kids have now had several run-ins with the police in the same calendar year and maybe more interestingly, they’ve been cited together before in at least the one instance.

No, this particular event doesn’t sound like much on it’s own but when you add some context to it you realize this is now a trend… and I’m to the point now where I think you’re just dealing with some guys who don’t learn at all from their mistakes. If the bad reputation weren’t enough to dismiss them from the athletic programs and/or the university in general, I would think the fact that they continue repeating the same type of silly mistakes would have them on the verge of being kicked out.

Frankly, I think we’re all just annoyed at this point. It’s actually pretty difficult to have this many issues with the police in a town like State College.

So, every offense under a certain level should be completely ignored?

If they did the crime, then they should be cited for such.

Also, this was not just a case of beer muscles. It seems that this was a group of kids who, collectively, came looking to get into an altercation.

I’m curious how you come up with that. Do you know more about the fight than what the paper says? What about the 2 brothers that were also cited? Maybe they were the ones looking for trouble. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m curious how you can make such a strong statement without knowing what actually happened.

One article said the entire fight was caught on camera…but if that was the case, you’d think it’d have been mentioned elsewhere.

Also, this was not just a case of beer muscles. It seems that this was a group of kids who, collectively, came looking to get into an altercation.

I’m curious how you come up with that. Do you know more about the fight than what the paper says? What about the 2 brothers that were also cited? Maybe they were the ones looking for trouble. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m curious how you can make such a strong statement without knowing what actually happened.

Did any of those athletes live there? When you loook at the photos (and I know people will argue), you can see Buie mimic the action of throwing a punch.

Why do you think they were there?

[quote=“Skeeza, post:19, topic:2285”]Did any of those athletes live there? When you loook at the photos (and I know people will argue), you can see Buie mimic the action of throwing a punch.

Why do you think they were there?[/quote]

Did the brothers that went to Susquehana live there? How do you know one of the Prices didn’t pop off or find out one of the athletes hooked up with their girlfriend?

I think they were there to party, get drunk, and with any luck, hook up with coeds. I’m not going to debate morals, but if that’s what they were doing and things got out of hand…eh.

Are you telling me you think they were just apartment hopping trying to find a fight and the Price brothers were perfect angels in an unfortunate situation (don’t forget they were cited too)? You cynic. ;D

I know you disagree but I think the bigger crime is Buie even putting himself in that position. (assuming they weren’t out literally looking to rough people up, which I don’t think is the case) What I do know is I don’t know what happened or the circustances surrounding the fight, so I don’t think it’s fair for me to say 1 group is at fault while the other gets a pass.