PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Final Big Ten Record

I think we can realistically see our way to 10 wins, beating Northwestern, Michigan and Minnesota at home, with road victories against Minnesota and Northwestern. Whatcha all think?

I’m gonna go for 11 conference wins. I’m thinking of the 2 Northwestern games as lock city. I think we’ll be able to beat Minnesota at home and should be able to beat Michigan (don’t know how we lost to them). I think it’s reasonable to expect a win against either Illinois or Mich St. and then pick up 1 more win that people wouldn’t expect us to get (WISC or Minny on the road or Ohio St. at home)=11 wins and dancing!!! Even though I might be wrong I still think we’re dancing this season. Wanted to add that I just looked at the Big Ten network and the bloggers they have say we will go 2-3 at best in our 5 remaining road games and could potentially go 0-5. I must be watching a different team because there is no way we are going to go 0-5. Given this team’s accomplishments I don’t see how “at best” we’d get 2 wins. We already beat 3 of those teams and I already mentioned how I feel about the Northwestern game.

Michigan, Northwestern x2, Minnesota are the most likely wins. Additionally, I can see 1 road win in the trio of @MSU, @Minny and @Illinois.

I think a win Tuesday is pretty likely. If they win the ones they should, they have a shot at 11, but I will go with 10.

Does this count the BTT?

We lose at Wisky, we lose to OSU(maybe), we win the rest. What’s that add up to? 12? I’ll say 12, pre BTT. Go big or go home. :wink:

Beat Michigan, 1 of Minnesota games, Northwestern x2 as 4 must wins in my mind I feel we will get.
at Illinois, at Michigan State, at Wisconsin, other Minnesota game, vs OSU…feel we steal 2 of them.
thats my conservative prediction of course, gets us to 11 wins.

my heart clearly says 9-0 in the next 9 and that gets us to 14-4 though ;D

Have we ever won in Minnesota under Ed? The Barn is such a tough place to play, and I have to think that the raised floor there has something to do with it. It just messes with your perspective, even watching the game. I have to think that that’s a huge factor in their homecourt advantage.

[quote=“I Believe, post:7, topic:1881”]Beat Michigan, 1 of Minnesota games, Northwestern x2 as 4 must wins in my mind I feel we will get.
at Illinois, at Michigan State, at Wisconsin, other Minnesota game, vs OSU…feel we steal 2 of them.
thats my conservative prediction of course, gets us to 11 wins.

my heart clearly says 9-0 in the next 9 and that gets us to 14-4 though ;D[/quote]

I can see it now…PSU goes 14-4 and loses out on a share of the Big Ten title by one game to OSU who will finish 15-3. Then Ted Hillary’s likeness will certainly hang in effigy at this and many other message boards.

Good point on Minnesota ronb…never had to play a game at a place like that, so I can’t answer it. But I have to think that with the losses of both Nolen and Joseph, one hopes that both of the Minny games will be the Nittany’s to lose, regardless of the height of the floor.

Hoffarber in an interesting spot. Haven’t looked at his numbers recently, but playing pg might open up opportunities for him. He can certainly shoot. Scouts should keep their eye on him to see how he handles this situation.

Kid, I watched the MN vs Purdue game. Hoffarber played all 40 minutes. Purdue defended him the entire length of the court when he would bring the ball down the court. Only had 10 shots, made 4 (at least 2 of his makes were uncontested layups). Not sure what his typical shot numbers are for a game, 10 seems low for a scorer like him. Only 2 assists as well. Watching the game and how the offense flowed with Hoffarber running the point, I say it weakens them overall. With that in mind, it was against Purdue, no slouch when it comes to good team D. Will be interesting to see how it develops for MN and plays out.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:10, topic:1881"]Hoffarber in an interesting spot. Haven't looked at his numbers recently, but playing pg might open up opportunities for him. He can certainly shoot. Scouts should keep their eye on him to see how he handles this situation.[/quote] Kid, I watched the MN vs Purdue game. Hoffarber played all 40 minutes. Purdue defended him the entire length of the court when he would bring the ball down the court. Only had 10 shots, made 4 (at least 2 of his makes were uncontested layups). Not sure what his typical shot numbers are for a game, 10 seems low for a scorer like him. Only 2 assists as well. Watching the game and how the offense flowed with Hoffarber running the point, I say it weakens them overall. With that in mind, it was against Purdue, no slouch when it comes to good team D. Will be interesting to see how it develops for MN and plays out.

Agree! I think running the point works against Hoffarber. He’s not quick enough to create his own shot. He now has responsibilities other that trying to get open. I haven’t checked his stats but would be interested to see if he point production as dropped off since assuming the point.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:10, topic:1881"]Hoffarber in an interesting spot. Haven't looked at his numbers recently, but playing pg might open up opportunities for him. He can certainly shoot. Scouts should keep their eye on him to see how he handles this situation.[/quote] Kid, I watched the MN vs Purdue game. Hoffarber played all 40 minutes. Purdue defended him the entire length of the court when he would bring the ball down the court. Only had 10 shots, made 4 (at least 2 of his makes were uncontested layups). Not sure what his typical shot numbers are for a game, 10 seems low for a scorer like him. Only 2 assists as well. Watching the game and how the offense flowed with Hoffarber running the point, I say it weakens them overall. With that in mind, it was against Purdue, no slouch when it comes to good team D. Will be interesting to see how it develops for MN and plays out.

Agree! I think running the point works against Hoffarber. He’s not quick enough to create his own shot. He now has responsibilities other that trying to get open. I haven’t checked his stats but would be interested to see if he point production as dropped off since assuming the point.

I agree that running the point is working against him currently. I just wish our games against Minnesota came sooner. I think he is going to figure things out, and I think he’ll be a lot better by the time we face them.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:10, topic:1881”]Hoffarber in an interesting spot. Haven’t looked at his numbers recently, but playing pg might open up opportunities for him. He can certainly shoot. Scouts should keep their eye on him to see how he handles this situation.[/quote]He’s much better suited to play the 2. Boilers knew this and were in his face all over the court. He got rid of that ball as soon as possible when coming over halfcourt .

[quote="noobd, post:3, topic:1881"]Michigan, Northwestern x2, Minnesota are the most likely wins. Additionally, I can see 1 road win in the trio of @MSU, @Minny and @Illinois.[/quote] I think a win Tuesday is pretty likely. If they win the ones they should, they have a shot at 11, but I will go with 10.

It can happen, but not as likely as those first 4 wins. I think winning at Michigan State is the most likely of those three that I listed.

I have a feeling that we will win at least 9 Big10 games, I went with 10