PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Feds shut down sports streaming websites

Channelsurfing.net and atdhe.net (though it’s now back online as atdhe.me) among others

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0211/48692.html

[quote=“Tom, post:1, topic:1892”]Channelsurfing.net and atdhe.net (though it’s now back online as atdhe.me) among others

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0211/48692.html[/quote]

I’m not a fan of people illegally grabbing copyrighted material but I’m even a less fan of Homeland Security.

Why is Homeland Security involved in shutting down websites that stream sporting events? It doesn’t seem like an issue of national security.

atdhenet.tv is the official relaunch of atdhe.net

I’m so down for anything that allows me to see my teams play…particularly if the channel isn’t offered in my area (see psu/vt this year)

Part of the same convoluted logic that had them shutting down websites that were selling fake wares a few months ago. I never realized the national security impact that fake Gucci bags could have before then. ???

[quote="blue2blue, post:3, topic:1892"]Why is Homeland Security involved in shutting down websites that stream sporting events? It doesn't seem like an issue of national security.[/quote]

Part of the same convoluted logic that had them shutting down websites that were selling fake wares a few months ago. I never realized the national security impact that fake Gucci bags could have before then. ???

I’m sure if the people selling them paid taxes on the sales they would have left them open a little longer. Problem with most of them are they sell the fakes and don’t pay taxes on them.

Every once in a while my wife will give me the how to spot a fake Louis Voutton class. You’d be surprised how close they actually come to the real deal.

[quote="blue2blue, post:3, topic:1892"]Why is Homeland Security involved in shutting down websites that stream sporting events? It doesn't seem like an issue of national security.[/quote] Part of the same convoluted logic that had them shutting down websites that were selling fake wares a few months ago. I never realized the national security impact that fake Gucci bags could have before then. ???

Where are their priorities? Our government is supposed to be fixing the economy (by balancing their budget, not ours), improving conditions for its citizens, and protecting the rights of its people. Yeah it’s an inconvenience as more websites will have to become available, but this is an absolute embarrassment. Many of us pay hundreds of dollars per month to cable companies and internet companies, and many of these companies don’t even have all the channels available. That has to be fixed before this route should ever even be on the table. Things are so out of whack it’s not even funny. That’s why it’s up to us to sort it out and make it known how offensive this is. News like this is not promoting healthy and logical progress. It seems that pretty soon the only sports news you will be able to watch for free will be ESPN. The convoluted logic has to do with limiting people’s choices, and then sending a message that we will control what you watch whether you like it or not. Sickening. Is this the America that we grew up in?

The technology exists to allow anyone, anywhere in the country to push a button and watch any broadcast so long as it is being shown somewhere on a television station. Until we have those little “boxes” that allow us to do that, I say hail to the underground groups that give us a way to see it and the Feds should get out of the way…

My wife told me the other day that there are some cities that are looking into making it illegal to text while walking and also to listen to an Ipod while walking because they say it makes it dangerous for you because you may walk out into traffic. If you do walk out into traffic doing either of the above it’s your fault, don’t regulate it for everyone because some people are too stupid.

I also heard that the feds are making side airbags mandatory on future model cars because 8,000 people died due to side impact crashes and not wearing a seatbelt. First I thought it was America and we had rights. Second we have a law to wear seatbelts. Third why do we all have to pay more for cars because 8,000 people are morons.

Don’t get me started on government regulations. Just better start hoarding incandescent light bulbs. The unintended consequences of the new light bulbs? Everyone who reads will end up needing glasses or being blind! Remind me again what harm the incandescent bulbs do. Global warming? Oh, yeah, let me go dig out my car for the 3rd time this week. I know, I know. Global warming causes both no snow and lots of snow, hurricanes and no hurricanes, droughts and floods, etc. Basically everything. I’m hoarding the bulbs. Everybody else can save the world. I’m saving my eyesight.

And look at this. If this wasn’t so costly, it’d be funny. It’s all about bureaucrats exercising control. They have to do something for those fat paychecks.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704698004576104040647573056.html

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:10, topic:1892”]Don’t get me started on government regulations. Just better start hoarding incandescent light bulbs. The unintended consequences of the new light bulbs? Everyone who reads will end up needing glasses or being blind! Remind me again what harm the incandescent bulbs do. Global warming? Oh, yeah, let me go dig out my car for the 3rd time this week. I know, I know. Global warming causes both no snow and lots of snow, hurricanes and no hurricanes, droughts and floods, etc. Basically everything. I’m hoarding the bulbs. Everybody else can save the world. I’m saving my eyesight.

And look at this. If this wasn’t so costly, it’d be funny. It’s all about bureaucrats exercising control. They have to do something for those fat paychecks.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704698004576104040647573056.html[/quote]
Last year I was going to replace the Christmas lights with LED’s. That is I found out that the $3 string of Christmas lights were going to be $30 LED’s. Decided that almost $400 to replace the lights wasn’t going to happen.

Kind of like when we were first married and the salesman tried to sell us front loading washer and dryer at $1000 each, while the top loading washer and standard dryer was $600 a set. He told me that we would save money because it uses less water. I asked him how many loads of wash I would have to do before I recouped the $1400, he said “I’m not sure”. Well the washer just died after 12 years, I wonder if we exceeded the costs of the front loaders.

I always wonder why people would care if its a fake or not !

Where are their priorities? Our government is supposed to be fixing the economy (by balancing their budget, not ours), improving conditions for its citizens, and protecting the rights of its people. Yeah it’s an inconvenience as more websites will have to become available, but this is an absolute embarrassment. Many of us pay hundreds of dollars per month to cable companies and internet companies, and many of these companies don’t even have all the channels available. That has to be fixed before this route should ever even be on the table. Things are so out of whack it’s not even funny. That’s why it’s up to us to sort it out and make it known how offensive this is. News like this is not promoting healthy and logical progress. It seems that pretty soon the only sports news you will be able to watch for free will be ESPN. The convoluted logic has to do with limiting people’s choices, and then sending a message that we will control what you watch whether you like it or not. Sickening. Is this the America that we grew up in?
[/quote]

While I agree for the most part with everyone giving their two cents on this topic, one could argue that shutting down the black market does indeed help the economy. Look at the fake purse example… as someone mentioned, taxes aren’t being paid and the corporation who actually produces the purse isn’t getting paid; and thus, that company isn’t investing (or reporting) that money. In the US it’s not as big of a deal, but still I think 10% of our GDP (checked, this is the figure from the early 90s). Basically, if you’re someone like China, it can have a huge ripple effect that can vastly affect GDP (both China’s and US’s… the whole IPR problem there), which is why the US pressures them (and other develping countries) to reduce the informality of their economy.

As far as shutting down these sites… don’t really see the need for Homeland’s involvement.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:6, topic:1892"]Every once in a while my wife will give me the how to spot a fake Louis Voutton class. You'd be surprised how close they actually come to the real deal.[/quote]

Status. Fake doesn’t give you status.

[quote="Skeeza, post:12, topic:1892"]I always wonder why people would care if its a fake or not ![/quote] Status. Fake doesn't give you status.

except for plastic surgery

[quote="jjepsu92, post:6, topic:1892"]Every once in a while my wife will give me the how to spot a fake Louis Voutton class. You'd be surprised how close they actually come to the real deal.[/quote]

Same reason some people buy King Cobra drivers and some buy the King Snake knockoff which is the same club.

Quite a few years ago there was an article in SI about either Callaway or Ping. To save money they moved their production from Mexico to China. So while they moved to China they would give the production site the die and about 1 day after that the Chinese would make a duplicate of the dies and start making knockoffs. In an effort to save money and raise earnings they screwed themselves because they wasted millions on research and development and the Chinese made the same clubs without spending a dime and sold them at 1/3 the price.

I guess I’m kind of a hypocrite then since I have no problem with the government shutting down these sites, but I play a King Cobra knockoff.

I’m lucky that I never cared whatsoever about status.

One of the biggest lies that people say is “I don’t care what people think”. Truth is, they spend the vast majority of their money and time to manicure an ‘image’ to influence what others think.

Coach bags are the epitome of this. I have to laugh when I see women with them, and it seems almost every woman has one.

[quote=“Joz, post:13, topic:1892”]While I agree for the most part with everyone giving their two cents on this topic, one could argue that shutting down the black market does indeed help the economy. Look at the fake purse example… as someone mentioned, taxes aren’t being paid and the corporation who actually produces the purse isn’t getting paid; and thus, that company isn’t investing (or reporting) that money. In the US it’s not as big of a deal, but still I think 10% of our GDP (checked, this is the figure from the early 90s). Basically, if you’re someone like China, it can have a huge ripple effect that can vastly affect GDP (both China’s and US’s… the whole IPR problem there), which is why the US pressures them (and other develping countries) to reduce the informality of their economy.

As far as shutting down these sites… don’t really see the need for Homeland’s involvement.[/quote]

This isn’t a black market in the way we commonly understand black markets. A black market is selling alcohol and making money off of it during prohibition. A black market is not using technology to stream sports events for free. There’s little financial gain in it. Streams are not reliable, it doesn’t replace actually getting the games on your TV. If you host friends over for a party to watch the game, you’re not going to rely on an internet stream. If cable companies had agreements with all the different networks, so for one fixed cost you could get any channel you want, then i could see the purpose of this. There are more important things that homeland security should be worrying about, but it’s not that surprising. This is about the network and broadcast corporations to milk every penny they can, and the federal government getting involved to make it happen. Do the economic problems of the USA hinge on streaming sports games on the web? Joz, things like this offend the people, like they can’t think for themselves and have to be told what they can do and what they can’t. The precedent it sets outweights the deepening of the pockets of the cable company. Cable and internet companies are indeed getting paid. Streams are a way of solving an inefficiency of the cable companies. Streams are not as reliable as watching the game on a TV. Sometimes you travel and have no access to your paid-for TV package.

I’m lucky that I never cared whatsoever about status.

One of the biggest lies that people say is “I don’t care what people think”. Truth is, they spend the vast majority of their money and time to manicure an ‘image’ to influence what others think.

Coach bags are the epitome of this. I have to laugh when I see women with them, and it seems almost every woman has one.

One? HaHaHa! My wife has TEN! And three shoes, two belts, and a bunch of other stuff.