PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

February 4th, 2006

Penn State at #6 Illinois now playing on the BTN…till 7:00 (might be only 6:30).

Didn’t realize the Illini raced out to a 13-0 lead in that one…wow.

Mike Walker for 3!
No good
Travis Parker with the rebound

I remember that whole night like it was yesterday

It’s amazing how it does feel like it was yesterday…

Yet Cornley was a freshman (and playing like he owns the court) and Battle was a junior in high school.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:1699”]It’s amazing how it does feel like it was yesterday…

Yet Cornley was a freshman (and playing like he owns the court) and Battle was a junior in high school.[/quote]

If only we can get another post player like Cornley who demanded respect, literally and figuratively.

Shoot, missed it. Anyone know if/when it is going to be played again?

It wasn’t listed to begin with, just showed up as “1998 Rose Bowl”. So maybe look for that listing and they might play it again for whatever reason.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:3, topic:1699"]It's amazing how it does feel like it was yesterday...

Yet Cornley was a freshman (and playing like he owns the court) and Battle was a junior in high school.[/quote]

If only we can get another post player like Cornley who demanded respect, literally and figuratively.

I knew that we had a tough guy in Cornley when I read that, during his senior year in high school, some one made a racist comment to him and he “took care of business.” Melle definitely did not upset.

I always loved Cornley. He wasn’t the most talented of players, but he was a great leader.

Thanks. Looks like “1998 Rose Bowl” is scheduled for another showing at 7am on Friday. I’ll set it to record and see what happens.

RE: Jamelle Cornley

I found this clip on youtube, I thought others might enjoy it:
Jamelle Cornley, Columbus Brookhaven, Penn State 360º vs Reynoldsburg in State Tournament

In Cornley’s case, talent was all relative. Many five star players weren’t as “talented” as Cornley when it came to pure guts, attitude and, as you mention, leadership. He had all the intangibles that no coach can teach. To me, he’s one of the most underrated players over the past decade in the Big Ten, mostly because he was a 6’4" player competing against guys who were half a foot taller than him. Yet he would win a lot of those battles, even when his teams lost the game.