FC: Jeff Brooks

Jeff’s reverse put-back dunk made the top play on the Sportscenter Top 10. Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet.

I was surpirsed that it had not been posted yet; and, you posted it here as I was typing it into another thread. :slight_smile:

Again, congratulations to Jeff.

Here’s a clip of the dunk, about 21 seconds into the highlight reel: Bing

I posted it last night in the “Indiana/Pittsburgh” thread as I was typing the final score of that game, there it was popping up into my living room as the first piece of video in SportsCenter.

But it deserves its own thread.

This is another great thing about the Big Ten Network. In previous years, this game would have never been on the radar or satellite. Because of the BTN, Mr. Brooks high-flying act was seen by many and made the #1 play. Also, it was nice that the best hoops announcer in Gus Johnson was there to embellish Mr. Brooks’ scintillating play. In fact, Gus had a lot of good things to say about Jeff’s play in general.

This will do nothing but continue to feed to the confidence of one, Jeff Brooks. He really has impressed me with his play on both sides of the court. We always knew he had the skillz, it just takes a few guys a little time for the light to go on. Now that he realizes that he has to be the man in the frontcourt, I see really good things going forward for him.

I’d rather have 15 & 10 from Brooks everynight than his one or two flashes of brilliance a night. I’d also like to see a more consistent effort because Jeff can be as good as he wants to be. He has all the tools.

Agreed, but if he’s putting up 14 points (like last night), I’ll gladly take flashes like this mixed in.

My apologies for calling you out specifically but I see this happen ALL of the time. People’s expectations, particularly when it comes to rebounding, are way out of whack with reality.

When you say you want to see a 15 and 10 from Brooks every night, I say “No sh*t Sherlock”. A performance like that every night makes him a unanimous all Big Ten suggestion and probably a first round draft choice.

How many guys in the Big Ten have averaged a 15 and 10 in the last five years? Ans: One.

DJ White two years ago. That got him the an unanimous pick as the Big Ten’s Player of the Year and a first round pick by Detroit.
Greg Oden came close (15.7 and 9.6). If you round, he got there. It earned him All American and the first overall pick in the NBA.

So can we tone it back a little? Say maybe - 13 and 6. Those numbers would probably make him all Big Ten, although maybe not first team and I’d be very very happy with that. Both 13 and 6 are about on the cut line for making the top ten in the league in each category. If you’re top ten in both, there’s a good chance you’ll be recognized with All B10 honors.

I’ll stir the pot a bit, I’d love to see Brooks give us Jagla’s Jr. year production. 13pts, 8rb and just over one block per game. I believe Brooks has teh ability to do that, just don’t know yet if he has the gumption yet. That would be a pickled peachey scenario. I’ll go and duck before the fit hits the shan.

[quote="danlauver, post:5, topic:451"]I'd rather have 15 & 10 from Brooks everynight than his one or two flashes of brilliance a night. I'd also like to see a more consistent effort because Jeff can be as good as he wants to be. He has all the tools.[/quote]

My apologies for calling you out specifically but I see this happen ALL of the time. People’s expectations, particularly when it comes to rebounding, are way out of whack with reality.

When you say you want to see a 15 and 10 from Brooks every night, I say “No sh*t Sherlock”. A performance like that every night makes him a unanimous all Big Ten suggestion and probably a first round draft choice.

How many guys in the Big Ten have averaged a 15 and 10 in the last five years? Ans: One.

DJ White two years ago. That got him the an unanimous pick as the Big Ten’s Player of the Year and a first round pick by Detroit.
Greg Oden came close (15.7 and 9.6). If you round, he got there. It earned him All American and the first overall pick in the NBA.

So can we tone it back a little? Say maybe - 13 and 6. Those numbers would probably make him all Big Ten, although maybe not first team and I’d be very very happy with that. Both 13 and 6 are about on the cut line for making the top ten in the league in each category. If you’re top ten in both, there’s a good chance you’ll be recognized with All B10 honors.

I have to agree that 13 and 6 is the more realistic numbers. Also keep in mind that prior to seasons start we really didn’t know what Brooks would be capable of. I am really happy for Jeff that he is playing within himself. His basketball IQ has certainly increased, especially at the offensive end. Less 3 point shots, more points in the paint, ability to create his own shot, better rebounding. He has made himself the viable 2nd scoring option on offense.

Maybe those nunbers are a little high. But my point is that I’d rather see Brooks do the little things that help win basketball games instead of going for the one or two flashy plays a game. His effort level seems to go up significally after a dunk like last night. Would just love to see that effort on a consistent basis.

I have to eat a little bit of crow in terms of Brooks - I seriously questioned if he’d ever mature into a real basketball player and not just a great athlete in his career at Penn State, but he’s really seemed to get more polished this year than I ever thought he would and it makes me excited to see how this last year and a half play out for him.

If only we could get a little more consistency out of the rest of the guys, I think Brooks has pretty much carried his weight in terms of improvement coming into this year. DJ also has, too - in my opinion. They were the big question marks for us coming into this year by most people’s assessment, and I feel like they both have brought a lot more to the table this year when called upon to do so. It’s unfortunately been other parts of our game that have suddenly disappeared when we thought they were much more reliable - Talor at times, Andrew most of the year… etc.

“Maybe a little high”? More like undoubtedly a lot high. Although I do agree with your premise that a little more consistency would be beneficial.

For the record, I’d say that my 13 and 6 numbers are the ones that are “maybe a little high” but I’m willing to set high expectations for Brooks since he’s demonstrated that the skill set is there.

Here are the Big Ten’s 13 and 6 guys over the last three years.

2008-09:
Evan Turner (17.3/7.1)
Manny Harris (16.9/6.8)
DeShaun Sims (15.4/6.8)
Jamelle Cornley (14.4/6.3)

2007-08:
DJ White (17.4/10.3)
Kosta Koufos (14.4/6.7)
Raymar Morgan (14.0/6.1)

2006-07:
Carl Landry (18.9/7.3)
Geary Claxton (16.3/8.0)
Dan Coleman (14.2/6.0)
DJ White (13.8/7.3)
Jamelle Cornley (13.5/6.7)

Some pretty recognizable names there. If Brooks can raise his game to their levels we should be overjoyed.

15 guys in the Big 10 are averaging 10ppg and 5.0 rpg. 10 guys are averaging 10ppg and 6.0 rpg. Those are good targets. Talor Battle’s 15th in rebounding at 5.9 rpg. I don’t think Jeff is in the top 50 in rebounding. And he had 1 rpg vs. SHU, Davidson and Temple. Can’t have that. In minutes played, Edwards is the best rebounder on the team.

Lar,
Looking at your numbers, I see Cornley on there twice. Is it not the expectation of many of us that Brooks was going to fill JC’s role on this team? Therefore I’d say that expecting similar production would be in the norm, although it’s recognizing the calibur of player he’s trying to replace.

I re-watched the 1/2 hour PSBStory from the NIT run the other night, and I was struck by the number of times Jamelle backed his guy in at the rim during the highlights. We need some of that balance from someone now, and I hope Jeff’s the guy who can do that for us.

Just to throw more stats into the fire, Brooks is averaging about 14.5 pts/40 mins, and 5.8 reb/40 mins.

So, that 13 and 6 mentioned above would already be exceeded if he played closer to Battle’s minutes, for instance. I’m sure he’s only going to get more comfortable with his role as we move forward through the season. I bet we see Brooks go 20+ at least once this season as well, his skill set is just so diverse for his size.

[quote=“Slash, post:15, topic:451”]Just to throw more stats into the fire, Brooks is averaging about 14.5 pts/40 mins, and 5.8 reb/40 mins.

So, that 13 and 6 mentioned above would already be exceeded if he played closer to Battle’s minutes, for instance. I’m sure he’s only going to get more comfortable with his role as we move forward through the season. I bet we see Brooks go 20+ at least once this season as well, his skill set is just so diverse for his size.[/quote]

It’s the stupid fouls he commits that keep him from getting more PT, slash, not his play.

Expectation? I didn’t expect Brooks pick up Cornley’s role and numbers this season, and I tend to think most people on this forum didn’t either. I read a lot of posters talking about how difficult it will be to fill JC’s role, but hopefully we could pick it up by committee - meaning Ott’s, Jones’s, Brooks’s, and DJ’s numbers increase and hopefully Sasa and Oliver contribute as well. Hopefully with all their output we can fill the [numbers] void that Cornley left.

Maybe I’m off based, but I don’t remember anyone realistically predicting that Brooks would be able to match Cornley’s numbers by himself.

Also, when it comes to his tenacity and toughness, his “role” beyond the numbers, I think Jones was tossed around as the solution more than Brooks.

[quote="Slash, post:15, topic:451"]Just to throw more stats into the fire, Brooks is averaging about 14.5 pts/40 mins, and 5.8 reb/40 mins.

So, that 13 and 6 mentioned above would already be exceeded if he played closer to Battle’s minutes, for instance. I’m sure he’s only going to get more comfortable with his role as we move forward through the season. I bet we see Brooks go 20+ at least once this season as well, his skill set is just so diverse for his size.[/quote]

It’s the stupid fouls he commits that keep him from getting more PT, slash, not his play.

I never said that wasn’t true, I was just pointing out that MAYBE he’s playing pretty close to what people would like him to live up to, already. His stats are not far off from what people are wishing of him. If he watches the fouls, and like I said, gains more comfort with his role, I think the numbers will be right there.

If Jeff can do what he did last night…14 and 5, Penn State will be a very difficult team to beat this season. Especially if Edwards, Jones and Battle keep putting up the rebounding numbers we are seeing.

The only guy who I’ve been slightly disappointed with on the rebounding front this year is DJ Jackson. He’s the guy who needs to step it up on the glass…where we really miss Cornley if you ask me.