PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Eyeballs vs. Geeks - put a fork in it

This ends all debate.

Advanced stats, basketball

My team is on the floor.

Somehow this article makes me want to see if “The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh” is on Netflix…

Great movie. Not the lead, but Dennis Hopper, RIP, played a great role. There was a special, maybe on espn, which rated the 25 greatest sports movies over 25 years. Here’s their list. I didn’t like “The Natural”. A college buddy had the book, by Bernard Malamud, who was not a sportswriter, and it was fantastic. Redford didn’t capture the magic of the book, which was hard to put down. IMO, “Bang the Drum Slowly” belongs on this list. “Cobb” stunk, and “The Color of Money”? Of all time baseball movies, I liked, “It Happens Every Spring”, with Ray Milland. “Damn Yankees” pretty good too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn25/story?page=listranker/bestmoviesresult

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:3, topic:2265”]Great movie. Not the lead, but Dennis Hopper, RIP, played a great role. There was a special, maybe on espn, which rated the 25 greatest sports movies over 25 years. Here’s their list. I didn’t like “The Natural”. A college buddy had the book, by Bernard Malamud, who was not a sportswriter, and it was fantastic. Redford didn’t capture the magic of the book, which was hard to put down. IMO, “Bang the Drum Slowly” belongs on this list. “Cobb” stunk, and “The Color of Money”? Of all time baseball movies, I liked, “It Happens Every Spring”, with Ray Milland. “Damn Yankees” pretty good too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn25/story?page=listranker/bestmoviesresult[/quote]

Bend it Like Beckham? Good lord. The list only runs through 2004, but I’d add Miracle to the list since it was released in 2004. Slap Shot was another great hockey movie, but I suppose had more of a cult following. What about Brian’s Song? Something for Joey? The Longest Yard? Bad News Bears? Including post 2004 movies, Talledega Nights and Invictus (sports related). I guess a list of 25 is just too small to recognize all the great sports movies.

And since it’s only movies from 1979 going forward, Brian’s Song, Bang the Drum Slowly, Bad News Bears and the like would all be there if they extended that out another dozen years or so. But it’s an ESPN poll and as we all know sports didn’t exist before 1979 ::slight_smile:

Right, I missed the 1979 part. Or rather I concentrated on the after 2004 part and forgot it started with 1979.

With some of those choices I am surprised that the classic C. Thomas Howell vehicle Side Out isn’t listed.

Finding Forrester seems a bit of a stretch to be a sports movie.

:’(

Finding Forrester seems a bit of a stretch to be a sports movie.

:smiley:

[quote="Tom, post:8, topic:2265"]Finding Forrester seems a bit of a stretch to be a sports movie.[/quote]

But we know where you are.