Expectations

This is all very subjective, but how did players perform vs. expectations coming into the season?

Starters:

Battle - met some very high expectations. 2nd in conference in scoring (just think how many FTs he would have had if PSU was ever in the lead and opponents had to foul. 3rd in conference in assists, 16th in reounding (led PSU). The only problem with Battle is his defense.

Babb - met my modest expectations. No way did he have the athletic ability to replace Pringle, but he is a good perimeter shooter and his size helps him to rebound and defend the perimeter (with his long arms). Biggest problem is that he can’t penetrate. He’s just not that type of player.

Jones - below expectations. 17th in rebounding. Doesn’t block out. His defense is horrible (Iverson looked like 1st team all B10 vs. Jones tonight).

Brooks - below expectations. Poor rebounding, poor defense, turnover machine. Very good athlete but he gets lost on he basketball court - often out of position. Worst part is that his hustle is inconsistent.

Jackson - below expectations. I see Jackson as a 6th man for most B10 teams, but he’s the best we’ve got. I always liked the fact that he played sound fundamentally and got the most of his ability. Problem is that his play deteriorated down the stretch.

Freshmen:

Frazier - below expectations (which were high). Extremely quick and athletic but he isn’t an offensive threat. I don’t mean to be unfair to freshmen but he just didn’t improve as the year went on. Way too many turnovers.

Edwards - met expectations. Many will disagree. I realize that Edwards was a turnover machine but I cut him some slack for a few reasons. Injuries impaired his progress, he’s a good rebounder, and he is the only big man with ability to take his man off the dribble. I also think that his decision making improved during the season. He’s got a very long way to go, but its not like he was very highly recruited.

Borovnjak - no grade. I expected a lot (or at least hoped for a lot), but Sasa never earned much playing time. That alone would put him below expectations, but I liked how he took up space int he lane and fought hard for rebounds in the last few games. He looks like he might contribute during his junior and senior years.

Freshmen always get a pass by me.

Frazier’s numbers per 40 minutes are not that much different that Battle’s. I don’t want to compare the 2, I just want to point out that he hasn’t had all that bad of a season for a freshman.

Bill Edwards really impressed me. I think he was the biggest surprise. Not a lot was expected, but when you watch him on the floor, the guy is a real baller. Physically, he’s a tweener, but he has BY FAR the best hand of any 3, 4, or 5 on the team. Steals, blocks, assists, dribbling, shooting, …the guy just has a knack for the game. With a little seasoning, Edwards is going to be a really good player.

Sasa had a rough year. ‘Expectations’ is a funny measuring stick, because everyone’s expectations are different. He was a high scoring big man in high school. Like I always try to point out, unless you are a McDonald’s all American, or a 1-and-done’er, you shouldn’t expect a whole lot from a freshman post player. You go from playing against skinny 16 year old high school juniors, to playing against some of the biggest and strongest athletes in the world. Think about that…

For Sasa, it’s all about the defensive end. It’s pretty clear to me that he is (and has been) ready to contribute at the offensive end and on the boards. However, he still needs a LOT of work on his defense.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:2, topic:955”]Freshmen always get a pass by me.

Frazier’s numbers per 40 minutes are not that much different that Battle’s. I don’t want to compare the 2, I just want to point out that he hasn’t had all that bad of a season for a freshman.

Bill Edwards really impressed me. I think he was the biggest surprise. Not a lot was expected, but when you watch him on the floor, the guy is a real baller. Physically, he’s a tweener, but he has BY FAR the best hand of any 3, 4, or 5 on the team. Steals, blocks, assists, dribbling, shooting, …the guy just has a knack for the game. With a little seasoning, Edwards is going to be a really good player.

Sasa had a rough year. ‘Expectations’ is a funny measuring stick, because everyone’s expectations are different. He was a high scoring big man in high school. Like I always try to point out, unless you are a McDonald’s all American, or a 1-and-done’er, you shouldn’t expect a whole lot from a freshman post player. You go from player skinny 16 year old high school juniors, to playing against some of the biggest and strongest athletes in the world. Think about that…[/quote]

Good post.

The one thing I’d like to add is the fact that Sasa actually looked like he knew what he was doing down on the low block. He does have some nice moves. Problem is, as you stated, he’s just not used to going up against guys like Sampson, JuJuan Johnson or Draymond Greene every night or any night for that matter.