Evan Turner

My new favorite opponent:

Speaking of Battle and Turner, they have become good friends. They text a lot during the season and had a big time of it Wednesday night at the hotel hanging out.

“Yeah, he’s my boy,” Battle said. “He’s cool, man. Laid-back. Funny. Enjoys having fun.”

The friendship started when Turner heard about Battle’s mother, Denise, going to the hospital with what was thought at the time to be a possible heart attack.

“It hit the papers, and he read about it,” Battle said. "He wrote me a letter, just telling me to keep my head up, that he enjoyed the way I played the game and things like that.

The bond strengthened on the World University Games team both played on last summer.

And when Turner heard about Battle’s mother it struck a chord from when his own mother fell ill when he was in high school. That’s part of what spurred the letter.

“For him to do that and go out of his way,” Battle said, “that showed what kind of person he was and we became friends.”

A link to the column is on the home page…

I believe you mean Evan “The Villain” Turner.

He’s already been one of my favorites, but mostly because of Mark Titus’ stories involving the villain.

I guess that kinda makes up for Turner calling Mel a b*tch last year.

[quote=“tjb, post:1, topic:162”]My new favorite opponent:

[quote=“Dave Jones”]Speaking of Battle and Turner, they have become good friends. They text a lot during the season and had a big time of it Wednesday night at the hotel hanging out.

“Yeah, he’s my boy,” Battle said. “He’s cool, man. Laid-back. Funny. Enjoys having fun.”

The friendship started when Turner heard about Battle’s mother, Denise, going to the hospital with what was thought at the time to be a possible heart attack.

“It hit the papers, and he read about it,” Battle said. "He wrote me a letter, just telling me to keep my head up, that he enjoyed the way I played the game and things like that.

The bond strengthened on the World University Games team both played on last summer.

And when Turner heard about Battle’s mother it struck a chord from when his own mother fell ill when he was in high school. That’s part of what spurred the letter.

“For him to do that and go out of his way,” Battle said, “that showed what kind of person he was and we became friends.” [/quote]

A link to the column is on the home page…[/quote]
That’s a pretty heart-warming story, it makes you really respect Evan. My favorite opponent will always be the Spartans though - it’s been that way since I was a little kid… I really like Tom Izzo, he’s a great coach. Coincidentally, I was chatting with some Spartan fans while in Ann Arbor for the game last week. Naturally, we got talking about Tom Izzo and Big Ten basketball. Totally out of nowhere, the Spartan fans decide to pay my tab (a large pizza and a few 24 oz brews). Gotta love land grant institutions.

Now that chest frazier is gone I’ve got a new best friend…

That djones article in pennlive states that Evan Turner is now the OSU point guard. Hmmm…Interesting. Talor’s going to pick him. hehehe…but he’ll need some help inside.

More on Turner as a PG

[quote="kidcoyote, post:6, topic:162"]That djones article in pennlive states that Evan Turner is now the OSU point guard. Hmmm....Interesting. Talor's going to pick him. hehehe....but he'll need some help inside.[/quote]

More on Turner as a PG

While they mention how great his assist/TO ratio was on the USA team, which it was, the article failed to mention two relatively important facts: 1.he was the lowest scorer on that team and 2. he shot 3-11 from the arc in conference. Both these raise the question of how he’s going to score if he’s at the point. From the wing, it’s easier to penetrate. PG’s usually a lot farther out. While his handle is great for a guy 6’7", is it good enough to be covered by 6’0" pg’s in your face out at the arc? IMO, he needs to receive the ball at the wing, which he normally does. Does anybody really see him bringing the ball up in the backcourt vs. a press?

Battle talks about Turner

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/blogs/hardwoodhits/2010/02/battle_talks_about_turner.aspx

On Sunday’s game the announcers noted Turner was sick. I wonder how healthy he will be by Wednesday.

He has been their PG all year. I tried telling you that weeks ago.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:6, topic:162"]That djones article in pennlive states that Evan Turner is [b]now[/b] the OSU point guard. Hmmm....Interesting. Talor's going to pick him. hehehe....but he'll need some help inside.[/quote]

The post you quoted is from October.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:6, topic:162"]That djones article in pennlive states that Evan Turner is [b]now[/b] the OSU point guard. Hmmm....Interesting. Talor's going to pick him. hehehe....but he'll need some help inside.[/quote]

The post you quoted is from October.

::Slaps self in head::

Hahahaha.

Could he be a Sixer next year? Looks like the Wizards will take Wall and the Sixers are picking second. Hope they don’t pick Shawn Bradley or Keith Van Horn again. ???

Philly is a good city for the the Villain to go to. The fans will embrace that nickname for him if he plays like we seen him play.

Couldn’t happen to a nicer? town!! Hope Iverson comes back also!!

Nets got screwed in the lottery! I’m not a big Nets fan by any stretch, but I wanted Turner over Wall. Didn’t get either… I shouldn’t worry though, championship in 1-5 years max. ::slight_smile:

Its good debate. Which player after the top 2 could be a super star? The best 2 rookies this past season were the number 4 pick Evans to Sacramento and kid’s favorite Curry at number 7. Jenning also looks to have a very bright future ahead of him.

The Wizards are nuts if they take Wall over Turner. Turner’s game started to look like Kobe’s with that inside the arc game, or maybe Scottie Pippen. A 6’7" guy who attacks the basket like that not too common. And the rebounding. IMO, he’d be the favorite for ROTY. Something about Wall just bothers me. He was anointed as POTY before he ever played, and while he’s explosively athletic, Turner’s numbers and team impact just much better. Wall can go to the hole, but so can Turner with better size, and Turner has that nice mid-range jumper he creates himself. I’m just not convinced on Wall’s shooting nor handle. His whole game seems to be in transition play. Turner’s great in the halfcourt.

Wall is the clear #1 because he is a tall, skilled point that has a high ceiling. I’ve heard him referred to multiple times as the best prospect since LeBron.

I would not be surprised at all to see Turner slip past Favors and only slightly surprised if he slips past Cousins or Aldrich. Big men always get overvalued in the draft.