PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

ESPN's Power and Control

Check it out:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Jeff-Fisher-was-asked-to-call-timeouts-for-MNF-c;_ylt=AoE6OzZCYiZkiyztTXP4UtI5nYcB?urn=nfl-278323

Of course ESPN has NO input into NCAA hoop selection criteria…yeah right…give me a break!!

yes, ESPN and the blackness of Tubby Smith kept us out of the tourney.

Again, I’ll ask. Why would ESPN have influence over something that they don’t even cover. CBS is the one that covers the NCAA tourney. Then again, I guess they do have the play-in game. And if you look at some of those matchups over the years, it’s pretty obvious that they pulled some strings to get such powers as Monmouth or Oakland.

Frats, I will give you an answer one more time…then …hit IGNORE.
I said “selection criteria”…this has been talked about many times. The NCAA in the 70’s expanded the tourament. Selection become paramount as interest and money grew. Conference records reigned SUPREME as TOP selection criteria for many many years. Out of conference schedule WAS a MINOR criteria; if at all!! MANY top teams played total cupcake out of conference games.
NOW a top selection criteria is out-of-conference schedule. Who the heck do you think broadcasts all of these top out-of-conference games in Nov/Dec.?? ??? ??? ??? Do you think they (broadcaster) wants a TOP games or Georgetown - St. Leo?? or PSU - NJIT.
Also look at these out-of-conference early season tournaments. They are MANY. Many great TV match-ups. BUT, do they court as a full game played?? Check it out!! How can a game NOT count as a game?? The “game allowed” rule was to protect student athletes from playing TOO MANY games.
Oh, who do think broadcasts all of these TOP out-of-conference tourament match-ups. Of course EVERYBODY want to dance so…NOW you have tons of great match-ups in Nov/Dec.

NOW do the logic…You don’t get to dance (even if you are 4th in power conference) if you don’t play the game (strong out-of conference schedule.) The rules (selection criteria) have changed. You live in a cave if you don’t know that!!

You don’t need to have a strong OOC schedule if you place 4th in a power conference. You just can’t have one of the worst OOC schedules in the entire country.

Penn St would have danced with even a below average out of conference schedule. They also would have danced with another win (most likely) in the out of conference schedule. Instead, they had no good wins against a pathetic non-conference schedule. In terms of RPI, the best win was against #118 Mount St Mary’s. Then, they finished tied for 4th (with 2 other teams) in the Big Ten. They had an RPI of 70, which would have been unheard of to get a bid. Does ESPN somehow control the RPI also? Are you saying that every power conference should be given at least 6 spots? Did the PAC 10 get screwed last year only getting 2 (even though we learned in the non-conference schedule that they were terrible)?

Thank God we’ve gotten past the days of every team playing a pathetic non-conference schedule. Now, we actually get to watch some good basketball the first few months. And teams that refuse to step up are penalized, like they should be. If you’re going to blame the good non-conference games on ESPN, then I say kudos to them!!! They’ve greatly helped the NCAA in giving us more quality hoops.

NCAA selection committee is way better than the BCS joke. Can’t blame anybody but PSU for not getting into the tourney. Pathetic Non-con schedule and that lost to Iowa sealed the deal or winning one more game in the Big Ten tourney would have snuck in even after that.

Agreed!

Tundra, you’re saying that ESPN influences the selection committee by airing specific teams, and they choose to air games like MSU vs. Duke over games like PSU vs. NJIT? No way! I’m sure the viewing audience and ratings would be identical for these two match-ups.

[quote="frats, post:6, topic:1413"]If you're going to blame the good non-conference games on ESPN, then I say kudos to them!!![/quote] Agreed!

Tundra, you’re saying that ESPN influences the selection committee by airing specific teams, and they choose to air games like MSU vs. Duke over games like PSU vs. NJIT? No way! I’m sure the viewing audience and ratings would be identical for these two match-ups.

I don’t think Tundra is saying that ESPN actually influences the committee. I think his point is that ESPN pushes to make the non conference schedule more important – thus raising the interest and quality of competition in the games ESPN is showing during November and December. I see his point.

[quote="frats, post:6, topic:1413"]If you're going to blame the good non-conference games on ESPN, then I say kudos to them!!![/quote] Agreed!

I don’t think Tundra is saying that ESPN actually influences the committee. I think his point is that ESPN pushes to make the non conference schedule more important – thus raising the interest and quality of competition in the games ESPN is showing during November and December. I see his point.

Ok. So they push for better match-ups in the ooc so they can improve their ratings. Good for them. I’ll take two big names squaring off over a Kentucky vs. South Central Louisiana State University “Mud Dogs” game any day.

I just do not see this “conspiracy” against ESPN when it comes to the Big Dance at all. Maybe I cam just bein thick and not on the ball, but I don’t see it beyond common sense (i.e. tv ratings, maybe hype, etc)

I also see tundra’s point and yes in an indirect way they can influence how a team schedules itself during the OOC games in November and December that can then go onto influence the committee come March. The ESPN higher ups will work closely with the schools they want to see early in the season to have them play in big one-off games or such tourneys like the JimmyV or the Maui. There is no direct influence coming from ESPN, as there might be from CBS (and now TBS).

Do you think PSU will ever get a chance to play in those high profile ESPN games/tourneys that can raise a team’s RPI through the roof, win or lose? I don’t. So they have to try to find those B Tourneys like Charleston or Orlando to suffice, and games against 2nd tier major conference teams like VaTech and Ole Miss.

If, however, PSU can develop into a respectable, winning program, we at least have the national alumni base to garner a high rating from an ESPN broadcast. The suits in Bristol do know that much. But until we are seen as anything but a football (fencing/volleyball is more like it now :-[) school, ESPN will continue to pass over Penn State when spinning through their rolodex every spring/summer in creating their Nov/Dec hoop schedule.

I also see tundra’s point and yes in an indirect way they can influence how a team schedules itself during the OOC games in November and December that can then go onto influence the committee come March. The ESPN higher ups will work closely with the schools they want to see early in the season to have them play in big one-off games or such tourneys like the JimmyV or the Maui. There is no direct influence coming from ESPN, as there might be from CBS (and now TBS).

Do you think PSU will ever get a chance to play in those high profile ESPN games/tourneys that can raise a team’s RPI through the roof, win or lose? I don’t. So they have to try to find those B Tourneys like Charleston or Orlando to suffice, and games against 2nd tier major conference teams like VaTech and Ole Miss.

If, however, PSU can develop into a respectable, winning program, we at least have the national alumni base to garner a high rating from an ESPN broadcast. The suits in Bristol do know that much. But until we are seen as anything but a football (fencing/volleyball is more like it now :-[) school, ESPN will continue to pass over Penn State when spinning through their rolodex every spring/summer in creating their Nov/Dec hoop schedule.

Not to add fuel to th fire, but wasn’t ESPN and it’s viewership the engine that brought about the ACC/BIG TEN challenge?

I’d also say that while Charleston and the Philly Classic were certainly “B” tournies, the Old Spice Classic is certainly one of the better events (as is the 76 Classic which we could have played in this season).