PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Espn

Cowturd just ripped up PSU’s bball program on his radio show. Said "you know its a bad job when a coach from the b10 leaves his alma matter to head to the Patriot League " he had some other BS he spewed out but obviously that jackass doesn’t know any of the details of why this happened. He just took the chance to throw some more dirt on our program >:( He compared it to a PAC 10 football coach leaving to take a job at a Conf USA school

I know Cowherd isn’t the best but there is some truth in his statement. We all want PSU to be successful but you have to know that this is going to a super hard sell in the coaching search.

truth hurts i guess

[quote="battlesway2, post:1, topic:2411"]Cowturd just ripped up PSU's bball program on his radio show. Said "you know its a bad job when a coach from the b10 leaves his alma matter to head to the Patriot League " he had some other BS he spewed out but obviously that jackass doesn't know any of the details of why this happened. He just took the chance to throw some more dirt on our program >:( He compared it to a PAC 10 football coach leaving to take a job at a Conf USA school[/quote]

I know Cowherd isn’t the best but there is some truth in his statement. We all want PSU to be successful but you have to know that this is going to a super hard sell in the coaching search.

Agreed. Right or wrong (who knows the real reasoning), the public will see it as a B10 coach voluntarily leaving for the Patriot League.

I agree there are some circumstances that play heavily, but this is a serious and reasonable conclusion based on what happened.

Didn’t catch Cowherd, but it sounds like typical sports TV/Radio. We used to look for sports journalists for inside information, insight, rumor, and analysis. Now we watch/listen because, apparently, we miss the opinionated assholes we used to go out drinking with (and I’ll admit enjoying Skip Bayless principally because he’s contrary). Just about all the useful information on sports now comes from the net, so people like Cowherd have to make their living by being obnoxious and entertaining.

[quote="battlesway2, post:1, topic:2411"]Cowturd just ripped up PSU's bball program on his radio show. Said "you know its a bad job when a coach from the b10 leaves his alma matter to head to the Patriot League " he had some other BS he spewed out but obviously that jackass doesn't know any of the details of why this happened. He just took the chance to throw some more dirt on our program >:( He compared it to a PAC 10 football coach leaving to take a job at a Conf USA school[/quote]

(and I’ll admit enjoying Skip Bayless principally because he’s contrary).

I enjoy Skip Bayless because I enjoy his act getting ripped to shreds just about every time he speaks. Cowherd gets annoying but he has grown on me. He is obviously not a dumb guy either. Bayless might not be dumb, but if he is playing a character on First Take his character is about as dumb as they come. When Scoop Jackson makes you look stupid you might be stupid.

I guess Ed was on SVP just a short bit ago. Per Midnighter on BWI this is what was talked about

• People who know me are not surprised at this decision, including some PSU players.

• Appreciates and lives the morals/values of the folks at Navy.

• ‘Ready for something different’. Had accomplished a lot of my goals (NCAA Bid, NIT win, BT Championship).

• Was not a preemptive move, and could have in fact left earlier had I wanted to. Was a very tough decision because Penn State is home.

• Not leaving Penn State as much as going to Navy.

• Not about the money, but fell in love with Navy.

It’s hard for me to get too upset with anyone at ESPN. I woke up to the news this morning and, after letting it all soak in for a bit, started reading the reactions of fans, players, analysts, and so forth. As far as guys like Cowherd are concerned, well, I’ve never been a fan of most of the folks at ESPN. At the same time, I agree that there is some truth to what he said, even if I don’t necessarily like the way he said it.

And to be honest, I’m much more disappointed with some of the reactions from some PSU “fans” who seem to have a celebratory attitude towards Ed’s departure. No matter where you stood in the whole “should he stay/should he go” debate, you can’t deny the fact that he was as good of a man as you could hope to find in college sports, and that counts for something. I can only wonder how many of those “fans” have never attended more than just a game or two, or how many of them expressed their “support” by waking up and checking the box score the morning after. I think Ed deserves a more gracious goodbye than he seems to be getting.

The opinions of guys like Cowherd mean very little to me in comparison to how our students, fans and athletic department respond to all this. Ideally, our new coach will come in and prove all those national media types wrong while giving a little credit to Ed for getting the wheels turning these last few seasons.

[quote=“Spades88, post:9, topic:2411”]It’s hard for me to get too upset with anyone at ESPN. I woke up to the news this morning and, after letting it all soak in for a bit, started reading the reactions of fans, players, analysts, and so forth. As far as guys like Cowherd are concerned, well, I’ve never been a fan of most of the folks at ESPN. At the same time, I agree that there is some truth to what he said, even if I don’t necessarily like the way he said it.

And to be honest, I’m much more disappointed with some of the reactions from some PSU “fans” who seem to have a celebratory attitude towards Ed’s departure. No matter where you stood in the whole “should he stay/should he go” debate, you can’t deny the fact that he was as good of a man as you could hope to find in college sports, and that counts for something. I can only wonder how many of those “fans” have never attended more than just a game or two, or how many of them expressed their “support” by waking up and checking the box score the morning after. I think Ed deserves a more gracious goodbye than he seems to be getting.

The opinions of guys like Cowherd mean very little to me in comparison to how our students, fans and athletic department respond to all this. Ideally, our new coach will come in and prove all those national media types wrong while giving a little credit to Ed for getting the wheels turning these last few seasons.[/quote]

Great post, spades. Couldn’t agree more.

Thanks, gsw. I’m just so frustrated over how this is all going down. Never saw it coming. I really, really wanted things to work out for Ed. That doesn’t mean I wasn’t able to recognize and acknowledge his limitations as a coach; he obviously struggled with certain aspects of the game, like offensive planning. At the same time, I hate seeing him go like this. And I hate seeing some people throw him under the bus when there is plenty of blame to go around (note: I am not talking about anyone on this forum). That’s why I can’t get too mad at the ESPN folks. They’re just calling it like they see it, even if they’re doing it in relatively crass fashion.

At this point, I’m just praying we don’t have the type of mass exodus we had when Dunn left. That’s going to be tough for the hardcore fan base to live through again.

I know this is OT, but I keep seeing references to Ed’s lack of offensive production. That wasn’t really his problem here so I don’t get all the disses. ???

Goes back to the whole eyeballs vs. geeks debate. People see low scoring and assume it’s good defense and bad offense. Tempo free numbers tell a very different story.

It’s not the production itself that I questioned; it was how it seemed, at least to me, like there wasn’t always a coherent game plan in place for the offense. I’m talking about the games where guys just gave the ball to Talor and then stood there, or the games where we just relied on perimeter shooting for all our points. It just always seemed to me like Ed preferred recycling a handful of basic sets over and over again until he had no choice but to tell the guys to just give it to Talor. It was, IMO, a high-risk, high-reward strategy. When it failed, it failed miserably. But when it worked, it was lights out.

However, I have made the point before that maybe Ed just didn’t feel like he had the necessary talent in the front court to get more creative with his play calls. And if that’s the case, then I can understand that.

It did get really stagnant sometimes but I think that was the gameplan. Work the shot clock, and recruit really good scoring guards who could make things happen off dribble drive. Marlon Smith, Timmy Smith, Battle, Frazier, and Lewis and Staten (and Burke) all seemed like guards who fit that style. It’s pointless to argue it but I just don’t get the continued shots at his lack of offense when it was always his D that was not good.

Hopefully our new coach can handle both sides of the ball!

[quote="Spades88, post:14, topic:2411"]It's not the production itself that I questioned; it was how it seemed, at least to me, like there wasn't always a coherent game plan in place for the offense. I'm talking about the games where guys just gave the ball to Talor and then stood there, or the games where we just relied on perimeter shooting for all our points. It just always seemed to me like Ed preferred recycling a handful of basic sets over and over again until he had no choice but to tell the guys to just give it to Talor. It was, IMO, a high-risk, high-reward strategy. When it failed, it failed miserably. But when it worked, it was lights out.[/quote]

It did get really stagnant sometimes but I think that was the gameplan. Work the shot clock, and recruit really good scoring guards who could make things happen off dribble drive. Marlon Smith, Timmy Smith, Battle, Frazier, and Lewis and Staten (and Burke) all seemed like guards who fit that style. It’s pointless to argue it but I just don’t get the continued shots at his lack of offense when it was always his D that was not good.

Hopefully our new coach can handle both sides of the ball!

No argument the D wasn’t great, but the problem I had with the offense was that it seemed more “fixable”. I’m not sure how to fix defenses, but offenses are easier to adjust. I think Spades nails it. IMO, it was when we were afraid to go inside that we looked bad. Vs. NW, where there was no fear, we killed them. Vs. others, different story. If you can’t post up, you still have to get the ball inside, back doors, give and go’s, pick n rolls, high post, something. NW did this on their offense, and always played OSU tight. We didn’t go inside vs. OSU, and usually got killed by them. When you look as bad as PSU did vs OSU at that BJC game, it’s the offensive game plan, IMO. Yes, Diebler hit 10 st. treys, but it was usually off getting the ball into Sullinger, who we doubled, and he kicked it out. So, was it our perimeter D, or our inside D which caused the problems? In some way, we needed to do the same, get it inside the arc every possession. We often didn’t, and it turned into what Spades describes so well, at least to me. Very erractic offense, IMO. MD, Ole Miss, MSM, Maine, showed very poor offensive games. All we did was chuck up 3’s vs. MD, who proved to not be such a good team.

[quote="LPcreation, post:12, topic:2411"]I know this is OT, but I keep seeing references to Ed's lack of offensive production. That wasn't really his problem here so I don't get all the disses. ???[/quote]

Goes back to the whole eyeballs vs. geeks debate. People see low scoring and assume it’s good defense and bad offense. Tempo free numbers tell a very different story.

My problem with the offense was that every single game it was inevitable that the team would have a 6-9 minute stretch where they wouldn’t hit a basket. It’s cost us a lot of potentially big wins over the years.

[quote="LPcreation, post:12, topic:2411"]I know this is OT, but I keep seeing references to Ed's lack of offensive production. That wasn't really his problem here so I don't get all the disses. ???[/quote]

My problem with the offense was that every single game it was inevitable that the team would have a 6-9 minute stretch where they wouldn’t hit a basket. It’s cost us a lot of potentially big wins over the years.

This isn’t an Ed or PSU problem, this is just part of basketball at every level and every team. If it felt like we had the issue more than other teams, it’s probably because we just weren’t as good as most of the other teams we lost to and/or because you watched us more than other teams.

Considering that sportswriters who actually cover Penn State hoops don’t know the details either, should Cowherd say nothing? His show is a national radio show, not the Nittany Lion Hotline. Like it or not, his comparison on par with how this move will be viewed nationally. Imagine Mike Stoops leaving Arizona for Memphis or Tulane. Ass or not, his analogy fits.

Which is exactly what it is like. I mean, I don’t really like Cowherd either but this is what happened. We are a Big Ten program, the last 4 years were much better than the previous 4, and our coach (an alum) still thought it was better to bail for the Patriot League and a huge pay cut. I mean - that kind of looks bad from the outside.