PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

ESPN BT Predictions

ESPN

Another year another less than flattering review.

One thing I really disagree with is that our placement as 9th in the big Ten is “arguably too high”. I don’t care how good Michigan looked in non-conference play, I just don’t think they will win more conference games than us. I actually think 8th in the Big Ten is the right place for us. We have too much experience to finish lower. Thanks for the article link.

Unfortunately, I think that 8th in the B10 this year will be enough for Curly to keep ED around…

They get to play Iowa and Indiana twice while only going up against Purdue and Illinois once. That’s a big advantage in the standings because even if we split with them, there’s a good chance they pick up two more wins than us.

[quote="bballguy, post:2, topic:1700"]One thing I really disagree with is that our placement as 9th in the big Ten is "arguably too high". I don't care how good Michigan looked in non-conference play, I just don't think they will win more conference games than us. I actually think 8th in the Big Ten is the right place for us. We have too much experience to finish lower. Thanks for the article link.[/quote]

They get to play Iowa and Indiana twice while only going up against Purdue and Illinois once. That’s a big advantage in the standings because even if we split with them, there’s a good chance they pick up two more wins than us.

Though after what I saw from Michigan today, that’s one team that PSU needs to finish in front of. In fact, PSU needs to beat them twice and be done with them. They are a collection of parts that don’t know how to play as a team yet. And while those parts can do good things, they will struggle against teams who play both solid and patient offense and defense, as an experienced Purdue team did today.

Penn State showed both smarts and experience in their win at Indiana. Two things that this Michigan team lacked against Purdue. Smarts and experience can and will win this game for the Nits.

“Worst venue: Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, Pa.
Penn State’s arena isn’t the oldest in the conference. It isn’t the smallest. It isn’t the dreariest, or the ugliest, or the most in need of a facelift. But thanks to the Nittany Lions’ ongoing program-wide struggles and their fans’ widespread apathy, it might be the most depressing.”

I’m glad he brought this up. While many are quick to criticize coach or the players as the reasons for PSU’s lack of consistency in basketball, only passingly do we really look at attendance as the source of the “ongoing program-wide struggles and their fans’ widespread apathy”. Clearly it “isn’t the dreariest, or the ugliest”. Clearly it just needs to be filled.

Maryland was barely half full. If it was filled up like Illinois in '08-'09, who knows maybe we score more than 39 points. If the team finds a way to beat Michigan on the road, the arena should be packed for Purdue and near if not sold out for MSU. If it isn’t sold out, then the entire bottom section of the BJC should be packed and the upper deck should be at least half full. If we are only filling 1/4 of the seats per game in the BJC, then that could make it harder for road teams to be intimidated. The BJC is a great college basketball arena. But you need 10,000+ people in there for it to get deafeningly loud. Once the students get back after winter break, the crowds are usually better than in the non conference. As a student, early in the semester you usually have more time than late in the semester. So lets hope the new year brings us some good home crowds!

the summer is the time for predictions…
NOW the games are being played.

[quote=“tundra, post:7, topic:1700”]the summer is the time for predictions…
NOW the games are being played.[/quote]

ESPN puts a BigTen season “prediction” out there like a bunch of amateurs after the conference season has already started. How is it a prediction after BigTen games have already been played? He says Battle is “toiling in obscurity” and how it’s a shame that PSU won’t sniff the tournament “if only for Battle’s sake”, as if basketball isn’t a team game and he has any more of a stake in it than the other seniors do. How can he say that a team that is 8-4 after 12 games doesn’t even have a chance to get a sniff at the NCAA tournament when the toughest games on the schedule are still to come? That’s pretty ignorant. These writers at ESPN love giving their opinions, before, during, and at the end of the season, don’t they? Some of the statements in that article are not supported by fact or even logic.

[quote="tundra, post:7, topic:1700"]the summer is the time for predictions......... NOW the games are being played.[/quote]

ESPN puts a BigTen season “prediction” out there like a bunch of amateurs after the conference season has already started. How is it a prediction after BigTen games have already been played? He says Battle is “toiling in obscurity” and how it’s a shame that PSU won’t sniff the tournament “if only for Battle’s sake”, as if basketball isn’t a team game and he has any more of a stake in it than the other seniors do. How can he say that a team that is 8-4 after 12 games doesn’t even have a chance to get a sniff at the NCAA tournament when the toughest games on the schedule are still to come? That’s pretty ignorant. These writers at ESPN love giving their opinions, before, during, and at the end of the season, don’t they? Some of the statements in that article are not supported by fact or even logic.

But they are supported by the fact that in the three OOC games that mattered, PSU put up a goose egg in more ways than one.

I look at it this way. Four experienced seniors playing in their last go-round. Do they want to be remembered as the team that failed to make the NCAA or will they step up, as they did at Indy, and be counted this year. Their record stands at 8-4 and there is nothing they can do about the four “bad” losses. But they have the kinds of teams on their schedule for the committee to sit up and take notice.

A win at Michigan will do wonders for this team. Michigan is the type of team that can hang with the likes of Syracuse, but look like a high school team with individuals looking to get theirs in a big home opener vs Purdue. Call me unimpressed by their selfish ways. This is a team game and if PSU can play that sort of team game they played at Indy, then I feel confident they will come out on top at Michigan.

PSU needs to win these six games…at Indy (done), Iowa, Michigan (twice), NW (twice).

Then somehow get four of the other twelve all against Top 25 teams and they should be dancing. Not an easy road by any means. But the opportunity awaits.

Betcha if we finish ahead of Michigan, Beilien’s outta there…and ED may still be around.

Of course they have a chance, every team in the nation has a chance right now. The experts are extrapolating their predictions from the games that have already been played. Based on those games, PSU isn’t sniffing any post season tournament. It really isn’t that illogical at all and its based off real data. To say the opposite is probably more crazy, because it is based off absolutely nothing other than fandom.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:8, topic:1700"]ESPN puts a BigTen season "prediction" out there like a bunch of amateurs after the conference season has already started. How is it a prediction after BigTen games have already been played? He says Battle is "toiling in obscurity" and how it's a shame that PSU won't sniff the tournament "if only for Battle's sake", as if basketball isn't a team game and he has any more of a stake in it than the other seniors do. How can he say that a team that is 8-4 after 12 games doesn't even have a chance to get a sniff at the NCAA tournament when the toughest games on the schedule are still to come? That's pretty ignorant. These writers at ESPN love giving their opinions, before, during, and at the end of the season, don't they? Some of the statements in that article are not supported by fact or even logic.[/quote] Of course they have a [b]chance[/b], every team in the nation has a chance right now. The experts are extrapolating their predictions from the games that have already been played. Based on those games, PSU isn't sniffing any post season tournament. It really isn't that illogical at all and its based off real data. To say the opposite is probably more crazy, because it is based off absolutely nothing other than fandom.

The one chance that I give our team is that under ED, we’ve seemed to struggle early in the season and finish strong. Hopefully, the strong finish starts earlier than 13 games into the BT season.

[quote=“PSUChamp08, post:6, topic:1700”]“Worst venue: Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, Pa.
Penn State’s arena isn’t the oldest in the conference. It isn’t the smallest. It isn’t the dreariest, or the ugliest, or the most in need of a facelift. But thanks to the Nittany Lions’ ongoing program-wide struggles and their fans’ widespread apathy, it might be the most depressing.”

I’m glad he brought this up. While many are quick to criticize coach or the players as the reasons for PSU’s lack of consistency in basketball, only passingly do we really look at attendance as the source of the “ongoing program-wide struggles and their fans’ widespread apathy”. Clearly it “isn’t the dreariest, or the ugliest”. Clearly it just needs to be filled.[/quote]

Wanna chagne that dreary atmosphere? Simple, start winning.

In 1995-96, all 8 BJC games were sold out. The place rocked. We went 8-0 in the BJC, and 12-6 overall conference record.
If there is hope of winning they will come. Want a big crowed for MSU? Beat Michigan Sunday in Ann Arobr, then get the W over Purdue in the Home Big Ten operner. 3-0 is a real good prescription for a big crowed vs MSU, even thought classes don’t start until Monday.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:6, topic:1700"]"Worst venue: Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, Pa. Penn State's arena isn't the oldest in the conference. It isn't the smallest. It isn't the dreariest, or the ugliest, or the most in need of a facelift. But thanks to the Nittany Lions' ongoing program-wide struggles and their fans' widespread apathy, it might be the most depressing."

I’m glad he brought this up. While many are quick to criticize coach or the players as the reasons for PSU’s lack of consistency in basketball, only passingly do we really look at attendance as the source of the “ongoing program-wide struggles and their fans’ widespread apathy”. Clearly it “isn’t the dreariest, or the ugliest”. Clearly it just needs to be filled.[/quote]

Wanna chagne that dreary atmosphere? Simple, start winning.

In 1995-96, all 8 BJC games were sold out. The place rocked. We went 8-0 in the BJC, and 12-6 overall conference record.
If there is hope of winning they will come. Want a big crowed for MSU? Beat Michigan Sunday in Ann Arobr, then get the W over Purdue in the Home Big Ten operner. 3-0 is a real good prescription for a big crowed vs MSU, even thought classes don’t start until Monday.

You think any of that had something to do with the arena just opening rather than the team being decent?

I’m not saying winning doesn’t bring in fans, but I think you’re coming to a weird conclusion when you use that as the example.

How about citing the 2001 season when the place got packed for a number of great home games?

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:14, topic:1700”]You think any of that had something to do with the arena just opening rather than the team being decent?

I’m not saying winning doesn’t bring in fans, but I think you’re coming to a weird conclusion when you use that as the example.

How about citing the 2001 season when the place got packed for a number of great home games? [/quote]

The arena just opening was some factor, but much less that the team was very good, and had been making great progress in the Big Ten and looked like it was a program on the way up. We get in the upper half of the Big Ten, we’ll pack this place agian.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:14, topic:1700"]You think any of that had something to do with the arena just opening rather than the team being decent?

How about citing the 2001 season when the place got packed for a number of great home games?[/quote]

The arena just opening was some factor, but much less that the team was very good, and had been making great progress in the Big Ten and looked like it was a program on the way up. We get in the upper half of the Big Ten, we’ll pack this place agian.

Usually, a new arena is a much bigger factor. Even eternal losing programs have a huge bump the first year or two after getting a new arena.

To say that the 1996 team was “making progress” is a severe understatement. That team started 13-0, and had a TOP 10 ranking around the time the arena opened. Their first 2 opponents were Glenn Robinson’s Purdue team and Bobby Knight’s Indiana. The team ended undefeated at home that season.

Even the 2001 team that made it to the Sweet 16 failed to gain much support.