PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

ESPN Big Ten Preview

Doug Gottlieb ESPN.com 1. Illinois: You heard it here first. A complete team with youth off the bench and scoring in the starting lineup. Freshman stud Jereme Richmond gives them a major impact player with his length and athleticism. If Demetri McCamey can be more consistent at the point, with D.J. Richardson and Brandon Paul improving in Year 2 and Mike Tisdale and Mike Davis showing their versatility inside and out, the Illini will win the deepest league in the country.
  1. Purdue: Robbie Hummel returns from surgery, and E’Twaun Moore and JaJuan Johnson give the Boilermakers three legit stars. But who replaces Chris Kramer? He was the soul of this team; his leadership and enthusiasm and limited need for offensive touches made him the perfect complement. Purdue could very well win the league, but the loss of Kramer is bigger than you think.

2. Michigan State: Last season, MSU struggled with personality conflicts and the loss of role-playing seniors like Goran Suton and Travis Walton. This year, the Spartans lose Chris Allen, which actually helps their rotation and allows them to be coached more easily. But Kalin Lucas coming back from a torn Achilles tendon is not as simple as “sew him up and let him play.” If Lucas comes around and Durrell Summers plays the entire season the way he did in the NCAA tournament, Sparty should be very good once again. But with no Raymar Morgan, no Allen and Lucas having to fight his way back to form, call me a doubter on a league championship.

[+] Enlarge
Kelly Kline
Jared Sullinger and OSU might be favored in several other power conferences. Not the Big Ten.
4. Ohio State: OSU’s recruiting class is stacked as is its list of returning scorers with David Lighty, William Buford and Jon Diebler, so one would think that adding the most polished power forward in the country (Jared Sullinger) would be enough to push them to the top of the conference. Enter Aaron Craft, who might have to take over the point as a true freshman. With lots of weaponry, but limited experience at several key positions, the Buckeyes are simply in the one league in the country they might not win.

1. Minnesota: Al Nolen is back off academic suspension, which gives the Gophers a true point who is a terror on defense. Trevor Mbakwe being reinstated gives them a much bigger/better inside presence and Devoe Joseph and Blake Hoffarber are good, solid scoring wings. If the U can avoid the bevy of issues and arrests of last season, it should be again tourney-worthy with more size.

2. Wisconsin: Jon Leuer is no longer surprising – he is just very well-respected and simply a tough matchup. Jordan Taylor and Keaton Nankivil will, as all Badgers seem to, improve in their growing roles within the offense. Keep an eye on athletic combo guard Ben Brust. The frosh had signed at Iowa before the coaching change. He is an ideal “swing” guard with his lack of position but variety of scoring skills.

3. Northwestern: Losing Kevin Coble hurts and helps the Wildcats. They might never say this, but Coble was better on a bad team doing his own thing. This team has hopes of its first-ever NCAA tournament and the guys will have to be united. Juice Thompson will take all the big shots, John Shurna will be a matchup nightmare and Drew Crawford is growing into a legit No. 3 scorer. The Cats need only to rebound far better in order to make a legit NCAA push.

4. Indiana: Tom Crean is slowly building the Hoosiers back to respectability, but injuries and the depth of returning talent atop the league has hurt even Crean’s energetic outlook. Maurice Creek being healthy will help and this team will certainly be better than the past two, but there’s simply not enough experienced talent yet to leapfrog the top teams.

5. Penn State: The Talor Battle show is now the Talor and Taran show. Taran Buie is the half-brother and taller, more athletic sibling of the two. Both can score, both have the nerve to take and make the big shot, but neither are point guards and both struggle to defend. PSU has essentially everyone back, but all eyes will be on Battle and Bro, as Talor must shoot better than he did last year and his brother must fit into the team dynamic in order for the Lions to reach their potential.

6. Michigan: Is Tim Hardaway Jr. the savior for John Beilein’s program? Not likely, but with DeShawn Sims graduating, Manny Harris leaving to go undrafted and some major dysfunction on their now former coaching staff (Beilein has a whole new staff from last year), only Rich Rod’s struggles across the street are distracting enough to hide the speed bumps the well-respected Beilein is going through.

7. Iowa: Fran McCaffery has built from the bottom to the top in three other leagues (at Lehigh, UNC Greensboro and Siena), and he will have to do the same at Iowa as the Hawkeyes lost two very good recruits to Wisconsin and Florida. At least for this season, only Matt Gatens stands out among this rag-tag bunch of mid-major talents at a high-major school.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebooksummershootaround100830/big-ten

He uses maybe 150 words or so in this article on Penn State. And he says:

-Talor Battle deserves your attention
-Completely contradicts Taran’s ability to defend
-We need Bill Edwards to improve in year 2

ESPN is such a waste of time sometimes.

The college bball blog on espn also put out a best/worst scenario for the big ten yesterday… here’s PSU

PENN STATE

Best case: Talor Battle’s upperclassman years have been something of a shame. They haven’t been, like, you know, a real shame; that word should probably be reserved for any one of the many horrible humanitarian tragedies happening around the globe even as we speak. (Whoa. That got heavy for a second. Back to hoops starting … now.) But Battle’s talents have been wasted on a Penn State team that went from NIT champ in 2008-09 to 11-20 and a last-place Big Ten finish in 2009-10. Penn State returns much of last season’s lineup in 2010-11. That is either a good thing (experience never hurts, I guess) or a bad one (last-place Big Ten finish, etc.), but Penn State’s hopes of avoiding a repeat performance largely lie with Battle’s lightning-quick brilliance.

Worst case: The Nittany Lions don’t have much in the way of talented recruits to help Battle this season, and if the sophomore Tim Frazier doesn’t significantly improve, the Lions will be staring down the barrel of another last-place Big Ten finish. Hoping for much more seems less optimistic than foolish.

And the link to the rest of them: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/14731/best-caseworst-case-big-ten

Looks like ESPN has VERY low expectations for PSU this year.

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the Bill Edwards comment. Just piss poor reporting there.

Where does it mention Bill Edwards? I did a CTRL + F on the main article and I couldn’t find “edwards”.

It says that we essentially return our full team from last year. That is true, except for two pretty big transfers - Babb and Edwards. They obviously did not research it out too hard. But, that is to be expected when you are who we are in the basketball world, it’s a full conference glance, and we are message board die-hards who know the team much better than an outside reporter will.

I like how in the second review, it mentions that we are not really bringing in any help in this recruiting class. It gives no mention of Taran, and I doubt they even know who he is or that he is coming in (unless if “help” strictly refers to big guys down low).

It was in the best/worst article but I just did a check and it seems like they changed Edwards to Tim Frazier. So I guess they knew a sophmore had to improve. They just plugged one who transfered out.

[quote="noobd, post:6, topic:1325"]Where does it mention Bill Edwards? I did a CTRL + F on the main article and I couldn't find "edwards".[/quote] It says that we essentially return our full team from last year. That is true, except for two pretty big transfers - Babb and Edwards. They obviously did not research it out too hard. But, that is to be expected when you are who we are in the basketball world, it's a full conference glance, and we are message board die-hards who know the team much better than an outside reporter will.

I like how in the second review, it mentions that we are not really bringing in any help in this recruiting class. It gives no mention of Taran, and I doubt they even know who he is or that he is coming in (unless if “help” strictly refers to big guys down low).

Makes you wonder if maybe we’ve been given an inflated sense of how great people seem to think he is around the country. Wouldn’t be hard to imagine given the tongue-bathings kid has been giving him for years now.

They have him as one of the “ten freshman we cant wait to see”. :wink:

I don’t know why everyone expects ESPN previews to cover every single thing. It is a mainstream media outlet that just summarizes everything so the average fan can be some what familiar. Although the “they have everyone back” statement isn’t the most accurate. Returning 4 senior starters is pretty damn close though.

I wouldn’t get so bent out of shape over anything that ESPN reports on, especially when it’s anything outside of the name schools. Do you think Kirk Herbstreit is up on all that is Duke football (well maybe Kirk is), and such is the case with Penn State basketball with guys you would think should be in the know.

Win and people will sit up and take notice. At least we have Taylor (real nice Collegian…or is that “Collegiyan” :slight_smile:

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:3, topic:1325”]The college bball blog on espn also put out a best/worst scenario for the big ten yesterday… here’s PSU

PENN STATE

Best case: Talor Battle’s upperclassman years have been something of a shame. They haven’t been, like, you know, a real shame; that word should probably be reserved for any one of the many horrible humanitarian tragedies happening around the globe even as we speak. (Whoa. That got heavy for a second. Back to hoops starting … now.)[/quote]

A shame? What in the hell is this? His upperclassman years? YEARS??? He has played in one year as an upperclassman. reading this espn blog piece on penn state actually makes people who read it stupider. so yes it is important to shoot this bird down.

Experience never hurts, I guess??? He guesses? Is this like supposed to be comedy hour at espn or something. the guy who wrote this must have had a shot of wisky before writing this.

i dont know how you write something like “last-place BigTen finish, etc.” ? was he too lazy to finish that sentance??? So he had no other reason he could think of off the top of his head, so instead of writes “ect.” as if the other reasons are so obvious. This is disinformation. Not misinformation, but disinformation. He is not doing any analysis from watching the games. He is looking at records, and a star player called Battle. Reading ESPN these days sounds a elementary school level of discussing a sport. They provide no conclusions from analysis. They simply report on the sports news that they created, like when Brett Farve texted his teammates that he had decided not to play this year.

Wait that one kinda sounded like a worst case didn’t it?

This is slander. The Lions will be staring down a barrel of another last-place BigTen finish. Way to prepare for Armageddon. He makes that potential reality sound worse than actually finishing in last place. Of course he fails to mention the fact that PSU @ MSU late in the season came down to the last second.

Craftsy21, it looks like the guy who wrote this ESPN blog would fit in well here at PSHoops. :o Hoping for a better season than last seems less optimistic than foolish? What is causing him to make this conclusions? Perhaps he is counting on the fact that he can marginalize PSU Hoops a little bit more than it already has been. Mission accomplished ESPN.

Couldn’t agree more, but it’s impossible to deny that the levels of ridiculousness from espn are indeed increasing at an exponential rate. At some point, even the most neutral observer starts to question the validity of absurd comments. the sad thing is these people at espn actually get PAID to report all this BS.

Yeah in this time of economic crisis, these espn sports-reporting stars are making a lot of money to write such ignorant things about a schools basketball team. has espn learned that sometimes if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything. these best / worst case scenario blogs are absolute trash from espn.

who are they to “report” on how far a team can go? i doubt ESPN predicted PSU would finish 4th place in the BigTen in 2008-09. shove it espn. fans of the sport know more about the game then these fools do, yet they have the power and are making money in a time of economic crisis writing this trash.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:11, topic:1325"]I wouldn't get so bent out of shape over anything that ESPN reports on[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more, but it’s impossible to deny that the levels of ridiculousness from espn are indeed increasing at an exponential rate. At some point, even the most neutral observer starts to question the validity of absurd comments. the sad thing is these people at espn actually get PAID to report all this BS.

Yeah in this time of economic crisis, these espn sports-reporting stars are making a lot of money to write such ignorant things about a schools basketball team. has espn learned that sometimes if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything. these best / worst case scenario blogs are absolute trash from espn.

who are they to “report” on how far a team can go? i doubt ESPN predicted PSU would finish 4th place in the BigTen in 2008-09. shove it espn. fans of the sport know more about the game then these fools do, yet they have the power and are making money in a time of economic crisis writing this trash.

Agree - The ESPN article is Garbage …BUT remember what Marshall McLuhan said in 1964…“The Medium is the Message.”

One more point about the ESPN Preview. PSU knowledgeable fans know to discard the data.But, we are few. The rest of the nation is going to conclude…“Well, PSU still stinks, what else is knew.” This negative perception hurts recruiting among other things.
We have to “break this national long standing negative perception.”

How could they conclude anything else? We DID stink AND we lost 1 starter and 2 contributors from last year AND our recruiting class isn’t hyped by the recruiting services. Only fools like myself think this team has the potential to be pretty good.

[quote=“tundra, post:15, topic:1325”]One more point about the ESPN Preview. PSU knowledgeable fans know to discard the data.But, we are few. The rest of the nation is going to conclude…“Well, PSU still stinks, what else is knew.” This negative perception hurts recruiting among other things.
We have to “break this national long standing negative perception.”[/quote]

PSU took a great step towards doing that with the NIT championship, and it was followed by a horrific season. Don’t blame the media. ;D

[quote=“tundra, post:15, topic:1325”]One more point about the ESPN Preview. PSU knowledgeable fans know to discard the data.But, we are few. The rest of the nation is going to conclude…“Well, PSU still stinks, what else is knew.” This negative perception hurts recruiting among other things.
We have to “break this national long standing negative perception.”[/quote]

well, I’ll tell you what is known, and this is from a semi-knowledgeable PSUHoops fan…we’ve had one winning season in ten years…

…and have finished above .500 in our conference twice and broke even twice since we joined

hate to say it, but the perception that PSU still stinks is actually the reality. ESPN or any other scapegoat has nothing to do with it.

[quote="tundra, post:15, topic:1325"]One more point about the ESPN Preview. PSU knowledgeable fans know to discard the data.But, we are few. The rest of the nation is going to conclude............."Well, PSU still stinks, what else is [b]knew[/b]." This negative perception hurts recruiting among other things. We have to "break this national long standing negative perception."[/quote]

well, I’ll tell you what is known, and this is from a semi-knowledgeable PSUHoops fan…we’ve had one winning season in ten years…

…and have finished above .500 in our conference twice and broke even twice since we joined

hate to say it, but the perception that PSU still stinks is actually the reality. ESPN or any other scapegoat has nothing to do with it.

Really…This #@%&*%$#@ stinks…who the heck is the coach??
Boy, I hope to save this post for future use…Thanks.

If you read Brennan, Rankin and Gottlieb, you’d think they were covering different players. I like Gottlieb, but no pg, and Taran can’t play D? News to me. Seems like Ranking and Brennan singing a different tune. All seem kind of limited in their mention of players. Look at some of the OOC games, IL is playing Texas(MSG) and Mizzou(away) in addition to UNC in the annual B10 v. ACC. Wow.