Enthusiasm for PSU Hoops This Year

For whatever reason (schedule, weather, economy, other), crowds at Beaver Stadium have been subdued and not much of a factor this year. Will the same lack of enthusiasm make its way over to the BJC for men’s hoops this year?

You forgot the real answer.

Depends on how many games we win.

I think overall there will be higher attendance concentrated over select games. A couple years of sustained success will put fannies in seats for the underwhelming opponents but not this season.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:2, topic:118”]You forgot the real answer.

Depends on how many games we win.[/quote]

Ding, ding, ding…that’s the one I was looking for.

In this day and age of instant gratification, texting, twittering, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately, shallow fan-dom, people will still have that mindset this season.

I think we (us PSHoops.com folks) are all as excited and enthusiastic as we’ve ever been about the program, but time will tell if that will truly spread to the rest of the Penn State community.

Keep winning and the BJC will be rocking for all the Big Ten games when the students are in town.

lol these aren’t exactly catch-all choices we’ve got here… probably a waste of a poll in a sense if you can’t narrow down all the choices more simply.

I tend to agree with Lar - our program isn’t “big” enough around here to draw without a winner on the court. Somehow I don’t think NIT champs is going to fill seats for years to come.

Also what do you consider large? No curtains, sold out, or something in between?

We’ve had 4 noon games, a 3:30 game with horrible weather and a night game that after our first two possessions was painful to watch. I think the BJC will be fine.

I’m not quite sure what the correlation is here?

The football team’s crappy non-conference schedule had more to do with lackluster crowds than the time of the game.

Though I’m still trying to figure out what “horrible weather” we had.

I hope we don’t get a “carry over” from football. Students won’t show up until close to halftime because it’s “cool.” ???

Guido’s music isnt getting it done.

I was actually quite surprised to see as many empty seats at the BJC for the HoopsFest. I wasn’t there, so maybe others who were can enlighten us about the crowd, or lack there of.

At Illinois and other Big Ten locales, an event like this wrapped around a football weekend would pack the arenas to the rafters.

That’s why I feel the enthusiasm will come in droves when, and only when, the team continues its winning ways. It’s a sad statement, but at football crazy PSU it’s a reality.

While I wasn’t there for this one, in past years, the crowd has been dismal. I think most people go to the BJC for the blue band. That being said, I think they ought to keep doing it.

The Beaver Stadium crowds have been tamer this year because the nice weather games were glorified scrimmages and the “big” games had crappy weather.

Same scenario will hold for crappy non-con games. Not much incentive for crowds to show up let alone be fired up.

I feel like the student ticket sales are good benchmark for how the season might start off. I think Slippery Rock aside we’re going to have decent crowds to start out. They won’t be Big Ten size but I think the increase will still be there. We have a decent slate of home games and if we can get it done on the road I wouldn’t be suprised at all to see us sitting with a #-0 record for a while. I think once we hit the Big Ten it’ll be even bigger, I dont think it’s unreasonable to expect a tough game at Minny to start out the season and we have a few games over break that’ll take a hit with students not in town. But once things get back to normal and assuming we came out of the start of the Big Ten season with a decent record I think it’ll be a good crowd. It might take some doing to get back to the upper decks but we have a lot of space to fill in and still see big crowds without them coming down.

I think it’s also worth noting that a large reason the OOC games for football had such large Paternovilles in comparision to years past was due to Freshman showing up. It isn’t unreasonable to expect that same sort of excitment around basketball based off of the freshman I’ve talked to. Get a bunch of them on board and we could gain some serious momentum with people who have been around to see us struggle. They’re the ones that are hard to get…people that came here when we were bottom feeders, and have turned a deaf ear to last year. You get them to turn the corner and you’re starting to get a pool of people we haven’t seen in the BJC in a long time. People who finished the year with us should be back for the most part…its the ones that never showed up that we need to focus on.

[quote="mjg, post:7, topic:118"]We've had 4 noon games, a 3:30 game with horrible weather and a night game that after our first two possessions was painful to watch. I think the BJC will be fine.[/quote]

I’m not quite sure what the correlation is here?

Sorry, it was late and that was not a well thought out statement. I meant that with the noon starts people end up getting to the stadium late – I know I do. It’s hard to set up a tailgate, cook, tear down and get to the game on time unless you show up at 7 AM. Iowa did a great job taking the crowd out of the game when they were here. And Saturday’s game, due to the weather (not during the game, but leading up to the game) I think a lot of regulars didn’t show up. I know I barely recognized anyone sitting around me.

For basketball, there is no tailgating. And weather is only a factor for driving – not sitting in the stands. The biggest crowd is only about 15% of a football crowd. The students are starting to become genuinely interested in hoops. And I know a lot of people that didn’t know we had a team who are suddenly talking basketball. I think we will get better crowds this year than we have in the past.

And Lar makes the best point – depends how many games we win. I think we will win enough that the interest will not fade this year.

They don’t show up until almost halftime because it takes 45 minutes to get to your seat.

[quote="tundra, post:10, topic:118"]I hope we don't get a "carry over" from football. Students won't show up until close to halftime because it's "cool." ???[/quote]

They don’t show up until almost halftime because it takes 45 minutes to get to your seat.

It only takes 45 minutes to get to your seat if you show up right before kickoff (when 50% of the students are showing up within 10-15 minutes of one another). Show up a little earlier and it’s not bad at all.

[quote="tundra, post:10, topic:118"]I hope we don't get a "carry over" from football. Students won't show up until close to halftime because it's "cool." ???[/quote]

It only takes 45 minutes to get to your seat if you show up right before kickoff (when 50% of the students are showing up within 10-15 minutes of one another). Show up a little earlier and it’s not bad at all.

Exactly. I stopped going with friends who would do that because I’m such a die hard fan and I can’t stand missing any of the action. Heck I don’t even drink before games because I want to be well aware of what’s going on.

The biggest offenders are the juniors year in and year out. My junior year I could walk up a half hour before the game and be seated in the lettered rows. It’s pathetic and I wish they’d institute a policy that will let any student in after a certain time elapses, regardless of whether they have a ticket.

Exactly. I stopped going with friends who would do that because I’m such a die hard fan and I can’t stand missing any of the action. Heck I don’t even drink before games because I want to be well aware of what’s going on.

The biggest offenders are the juniors year in and year out. My junior year I could walk up a half hour before the game and in the lettered rows. It’s pathetic and I wish they’d institute a policy that will let any student in after a certain time elapses, regardless of whether they have a ticket.

I know there is a reason they started to assign seats in the student section. I can’t remember why. Maybe it’s time to go back to the old way? Or maybe switch up how the seats are assigned? Like, maybe before the season starts, groups of friends can go to the ticket office and get assigned seats for the entire season, instead of each game getting a different seat. Just seems to me that it’s time for a fresh idea.