PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Emergence

The emergence of Graham and Travis makes the potential for next season a lot more exciting. A few different bounces of the ball and, let’s face it, this years team could have been looking at an NIT bid. I can’t describe how pleased I am with the job PC has done. PSU should have / could have won vs Lafayette, Ole Miss, Indiana (home), and Northwestern (home) which would have our sights locked squarely on an NIT bid. It made me nautious watching NW and IU shoot over their heads to win those games but hey, that’s the game. However, I already can’t wait to see the continued development of Jon and Ross paired with Taylor and Newbill. The other factor being…how much better can Timmy possibly get? I can’t imagine there is much more room for improvement but if he does…LOOK OUT! Lets finish strong and I can’t wait for November!!!

I’d like to see Lewis finish strong. Colella has really struggled his last few games and Lewis should be taking advantage.

Our players are improving at the end of the season. They have learned a lot, and it will only be beneficial next season.

He could develop more range, like say from the logo. :wink:

I think Timmy’s been everything and more I could’ve hoped for, and hope he maintains this level of play next year when he’s got some guys to dish to. I expect his points/gm to go down but more assists next year if anything.

Depth will be key next year. We’ll have a pretty good rotation; agree Pat will have to figure out a way to get Lewis involved the rest of this year to prep for next - the kid has some chops, but missing a bunch of games hurts his development. Guard play is crucial and I expect Coletta’s role goes down a great deal as well.

I agree - I’m looking forward to seeing what a year means to the development of this team.

He can get a LOT better. And Chambers has said that from day one.

The other factor being...how much better can Timmy possibly get? I can't imagine there is much more room for improvement but if he does...LOOK OUT!

Tim can be a better over all basketball player. He has a very large upside. He can be “stronger with the ball” and avoid turnovers better.

Remember, I’m NOT just talking about stats. It’s going to be hard to improve some offensive stats.

[quote="mhenry41, post:1, topic:3120"]The other factor being...how much better can Timmy possibly get? I can't imagine there is much more room for improvement but if he does...LOOK OUT![/quote]

Tim can be a better over all basketball player. He has a very large upside. He can be “stronger with the ball” and avoid turnovers better.

Remember, I’m NOT just talking about stats. It’s going to be hard to improve some offensive stats.

He has a lot of room for improvement in his shooting percentages, both 2pt and especially 3pt. He’s a 45% 2pt shooter this year. For comparison, Battle’s 2pt stats went 42, 48, 48, 49 for a career total of 47%.

Agree - very excited about next year. The problem this year was the inexperience, not the talent. In my opinion, recruiting over the last 2-3 years was the best in recent memory at PSU. Frazier is great, Players like Travis and Graham are a level above what we used to get. Add Newbill to that, plus a year of Big Ten experience, and I think we have a good team next season.

I’d like to add Jermaine Marshall to those players who can still substantially improve. Such an intriguing skill set - he can put it on the floor and finish in the lane with the floater, he can hit the mid-range jumper, he can hit the open-3 and he’s shown the ability to pass off the dribble - but he’s inconsistent and makes alot of mistakes on the defensive end.

If he increases his efficiency and decreases his mental lapses (imo 2 ill-advised shots in the final 2 minutes Saturday night) he could really be that solid scoring wing we need next to Timmy.

I’m a numbers proponent, but regardless of where we end up, my eyeballs say this year has been a pleasant surprise. A mix of the talent coming back (better than I expected) and the coaching (also better than I expected) has kept the low from getting too low.

I still say next year is not a breakthrough without a shooter.

Agreed, I think Penn State may wind up with multiple wings who can score the ball but still lack that guy whose one special skill is 3-point shooting. Guys like Mike Walker and Danny Morrisey averaged well under double-digits scoring-wise but their 3pt shooting and floor spacing are exactly what this team needs. Chambers needs a zone-buster.

[quote=“tjb, post:11, topic:3120”]I’m a numbers proponent, but regardless of where we end up, my eyeballs say this year has been a pleasant surprise. A mix of the talent coming back (better than I expected) and the coaching (also better than I expected) has kept the low from getting too low.

I still say next year is not a breakthrough without a shooter.[/quote]

I think Trey Lewis could be this guy. I thought he looked very rusty yesterday (understandably), but I liked what I saw from his shooting earlier in the year.

I’m making a crazy prediction which will inevitably come back to make me look foolish: Next year, we will win AT LEAST 8 B1G games.

I thought we’d topped out there a little bit in the middle of the season, but Chambers got everyone going again, so I don’t see why we won’t be able to do the same next year. We might even sneak a big upset on the road at some point and become the darlings of the bubble talk for a few days.

I still say next year is not a breakthrough without a shooter.
Agreed, I think Penn State may wind up with multiple wings who can score the ball but still lack that guy whose one special skill is 3-point shooting. Guys like Mike Walker and Danny Morrisey averaged well under double-digits scoring-wise but their 3pt shooting and floor spacing are exactly what this team needs. Chambers needs a zone-buster.

Crazy thought: Can Montminy be this guy? All I’m going off is seeing his high school highlights and watching him shoot in warm ups, but he can shoot. I have no idea if he would be a defensive liability or anything like that, but maybe he can knock down some long range shots for us.

[quote="tjb, post:11, topic:3120"]I still say next year is not a breakthrough without a shooter.[/quote] Agreed, I think Penn State may wind up with multiple wings who can score the ball but still lack that guy whose one special skill is 3-point shooting. Guys like Mike Walker and Danny Morrisey averaged well under double-digits scoring-wise but their 3pt shooting and floor spacing are exactly what this team needs. Chambers needs a zone-buster.

Crazy thought: Can Montnimy be this guy? All I’m going off is seeing his high school highlights and watching him shoot in warm ups, but he can shoot. I have no idea if he would be a defensive liability or anything like that, but maybe he can knock down some long range shots for us.

I think #20 has a better shot of being that guy than any other walkon. He’s said to be a very good shooter. If he is going to have any role next season, I’m guessing it will be the role of zone buster. He’d better spend the offseason getting more consistent and finding more range.

[quote="tjb, post:11, topic:3120"]I still say next year is not a breakthrough without a shooter.[/quote] Agreed, I think Penn State may wind up with multiple wings who can score the ball but still lack that guy whose one special skill is 3-point shooting. Guys like Mike Walker and Danny Morrisey averaged well under double-digits scoring-wise but their 3pt shooting and floor spacing are exactly what this team needs. Chambers needs a zone-buster.

Crazy thought: Can Montminy be this guy? All I’m going off is seeing his high school highlights and watching him shoot in warm ups, but he can shoot. I have no idea if he would be a defensive liability or anything like that, but maybe he can knock down some long range shots for us.

You know watching him shoot in pre game yesterday and then in the game watching Nick miss pretty badly (again) and Matt brick his one shot and both foul shots, in a continuation of his ongoing offensive challenges, I couldn’t help thinking about that same thing.
Kevin’s one thousand five hundred points in high school is hard to ignore, but in then I remind myself that Pat Chambers and his entire coaching staff sees them all everyday and they know all the things that I don’t.
I do know that I would sure love to see Tim get some offensive guard support.

If Nick C or Montminy are playing major mins next year we are in trouble

Music video starring…

Lovers and Friends Music Video (GiLly, Thani, John)

After 4 wins in the BIG (which I only was realistically thinking 2 maybe 4) on our home court, I feel pretty optimistic about the team going forward.

Next year we add 4 more wins - 2 of which are on the road, because our youth have been (are being) developed. Next year, as it stands now with no “carefrontations” or any additional recruits (please come to PSU Sheldon Jeter)…
Timmy - even a repeat of this year, statistically, would be great, but he can and will improve.
John Graham - showed more confidence in his post moves and the game just “slowed down” for him more as the season progressed.
Sasa B - Great hands, and good shooting percentage off the bench. Good quality miinutes.
Jermaine - Not the quickest first step, or the most athletic but somehow gets by his man. Great slasher for our offense AND has improved on his charges as the years progressed.
Matt Glover - VERY productive next year as he gains ‘some’ confidence in his offense. I note the Indiana game @ home where he really took it to IU while Timmy was out in foul trouble/out.
Trey Lewis - Didn’t get much of a chance this year with injuries - but he has game!
Ross Travis - Great athletically, and can see him develop some mid-range offense during the off-season. Note how he drove past his defender in the Michigan game + 10-15 ft jumpers? Nice.
DJ Newbill - 'nuff said.
'kosa Mah Doo WAY Boo Nam - has a great touch on his shots, very athletic. NEEDS to improve his handles significantly. Could be our shooter - seems to want to hustle, PSU’s MO.
B taylor - Good, strong post moves. Pretty lazy otherwise, but an off-season in PC’s system corrects that and I see him getting some productive minutes next year.

The NEXT year…
We lose Timmy - booooooooooooooooooo.
We keep all of the above players - who continue to develop with game-time and rep’s.
ANNNNNNND we add Geno Thorpe and Brandon Austin.

IMO next year we’re NIT minimum and the NEXT year we’re in the NCAA’s - no bubble talk. We’re IN.