Effectiveness of an online forum upon a program

Sorry for the long title… wasn’t sure what to call this thread.

So… over the past few days, I’ve seen a lot of posts stating how “this is just a forum, what is said on here doesn’t matter” and stuff to that degree. I can link to a few of these posts, but I’m sure no one will disagree with the fact that it is being said, and is an opinion that is held by quite a few people on this forum.

That being said, is it a true statement? As many of you know, I am a devout Seton Hall fan. Like every (?) D1 college basketball school out there, there is a Rivals forum for the respective schools. A majority of Seton Hall basketball discussion is done on this forum (over 95% of online SHU discussion is done here). Following SHU’s first round loss in the 2006 NCAA tournament, many forum members were pulling for the firing of Louis Orr, and his replacement by Gonzalez (not at the same time, but they wanted Orr gone, then pushed for Bobby). The two actions I just stated, were both performed by the University. With the firing of Gonzalez recently, many members have stated how they feel they should stay out of the coaching search this time. There has also been statements by some local (NJ) news sources how the University is going to stray from the “grass roots” hiring of Gonzalez and make their own decisions this time… not that the Gonzo hire was completely grass roots.

Taking this into account, from what I can see, the Rivals member pool for SHU is much more connected to their team than this forum. This could also be a major glitch in the system, since I don’t know if other coaches were hired from the influence of a fan base / online fan base (although one could argue these titles are interchangeable).

I just wanted to put it out there that it is POSSIBLE that we have an influence on this program. Its not an easily dismissable idea, since I know from first hand experience that it has been done before… Additionally, I’m only taking a 5 year span and one program into account here. I don’t know the hiring history of all 300+ D1 basketball schools. However, I think the connections that those posters had with the program was a major variable in the hiring.

Just my anecdote on the situation.

[quote=“noobd, post:1, topic:1028”]Sorry for the long title… wasn’t sure what to call this thread.

So… over the past few days, I’ve seen a lot of posts stating how “this is just a forum, what is said on here doesn’t matter” and stuff to that degree. I can link to a few of these posts, but I’m sure no one will disagree with the fact that it is being said, and is an opinion that is held by quite a few people on this forum.

That being said, is it a true statement? As many of you know, I am a devout Seton Hall fan. Like every (?) D1 college basketball school out there, there is a Rivals forum for the respective schools. A majority of Seton Hall basketball discussion is done on this forum (over 95% of online SHU discussion is done here). Following SHU’s first round loss in the 2006 NCAA tournament, many forum members were pulling for the firing of Louis Orr, and his replacement by Gonzalez (not at the same time, but they wanted Orr gone, then pushed for Bobby). The two actions I just stated, were both performed by the University. With the firing of Gonzalez recently, many members have stated how they feel they should stay out of the coaching search this time. There has also been statements by some local (NJ) news sources how the University is going to stray from the “grass roots” hiring of Gonzalez and make their own decisions this time… not that the Gonzo hire was completely grass roots.

Taking this into account, from what I can see, the Rivals member pool for SHU is much more connected to their team than this forum. This could also be a major glitch in the system, since I don’t know if other coaches were hired from the influence of a fan base / online fan base (although one could argue these titles are interchangeable).

I just wanted to put it out there that it is POSSIBLE that we have an influence on this program. Its not an easily dismissable idea, since I know from first hand experience that it has been done before… Additionally, I’m only taking a 5 year span and one program into account here. I don’t know the hiring history of all 300+ D1 basketball schools. However, I think the connections that those posters had with the program was a major variable in the hiring.

Just my anecdote on the situation.[/quote]

Is this an actual number? Where does it come from?

Not an actual number, an estimate. Like I said, I am a devout Seton Hall fan… I know where the talking happens. There is really no other to talk about Seton Hall basketball besides Rivals. Scouts is dead, the NJ.com forum is bugged out by old senile men, etc.

The other 5% is just an estimate and accumulation of other “dead” forums and such.

Our influence here only goes as far as the revenue we generate for the program goes… :wink:

Which, by the way, is a big Ze-ro.

OK, let me rephrase that a bit… TC couldn’t care less about what we say here. PennStateHoops.com sends no money or support to the team, Literally, there are no dollars attached. I have the feeling that the only thing that gets TC’s attention is a good donation.

However, we do have the potentail to foul things up by spreading rumours, falsehoods, and inuendos that do no help the program move forward. “no no harm” is really the best we can do here, outside of meeting some nice people and sharing some stories and thoughts about the program we are all too emotionally invested in.

[quote=“MarkH, post:4, topic:1028”]Our influence here only goes as far as the revenue we generate for the program goes… :wink:

OK, let me rephrase that a bit… TC could care less about what we say here. PennStateHoops.com sends no money or support to the team, Literally, there are no dollars attached. I have the feeling that the only thing that gets TC’s attention is a good donation.

However, we do have the potentail to foul things up by spreading rumours, falsehoods, and inuendos that do no help the program move forward. “no no harm” is really the best we can do here, outside of meeting some nice people and sharing some stories and thoughts about the program we are all too emotionally invested in.[/quote]

Couldn’t care less

[quote="MarkH, post:4, topic:1028"]Our influence here only goes as far as the revenue we generate for the program goes.... ;)

OK, let me rephrase that a bit… TC could care less about what we say here. PennStateHoops.com sends no money or support to the team, Literally, there are no dollars attached. I have the feeling that the only thing that gets TC’s attention is a good donation.

However, we do have the potentail to foul things up by spreading rumours, falsehoods, and inuendos that do no help the program move forward. “no no harm” is really the best we can do here, outside of meeting some nice people and sharing some stories and thoughts about the program we are all too emotionally invested in.[/quote]

Couldn’t care less

Fixed, although I couldn’t care less what you think… You get the point :wink:

[quote=“noobd, post:1, topic:1028”]I just wanted to put it out there that it is POSSIBLE that we have an influence on this program. Its not an easily dismissable idea, since I know from first hand experience that it has been done before… Additionally, I’m only taking a 5 year span and one program into account here. I don’t know the hiring history of all 300+ D1 basketball schools. However, I think the connections that those posters had with the program was a major variable in the hiring.

Just my anecdote on the situation.[/quote]

I would not assume that a message board has much influence over hiring/firing decisions. I think it can affect a recruit’s impressions of a program, it is hard to imagine that none of them ever read message boards about the schools they are considering. Of course, in our situation, I doubt message board complaints about the program are deciding factor for anyone. I’m fairly certain that the crappy record dominates anything that potential recruits could read on a message board.

I think a message board can impact recruiting - it has happened before with football recruiting I know. As for the connection between forums and administration/coaching, I’m not sure how big of a link exists.

I know that people in the AD are aware of these forums and do occasionally browse them - that’s how I met Loren Crispell. Years ago, he read my posts and decided to email me. From there, we exchanged emails and so forth.

I don’t think that all of the message board talk falls on deaf ears when it comes to the administration and the program, but I have no clue to what degree it impacts decisions.

I’m just putting it out there that it has more impact than absolute zero, which seems to be suggested by some posters.

Let me first point out that the term “on-line forum” can differ. I’m sure a UNC forum can be much different that a PSU forum.

My points are as follows:

1.) Have you ever yelled at your TV for the coach to call a TO, then he does? Does that mean he’s listening to you, or that the “feel” you have for the game is similar to all involved? When the fans are calling for an AD to make a move, and the AD makes a move, is it because he was listening to the fans, or that he has observed the same things and has the same reaction?

2.) Most large forums cost money to join. Does the recruit subscribe to all the services of all the schools he is considering? Does the administrators subscribe to get “insider” info? Sure, the family may join AFTER their child has committed to the school. I can easily see that.

3.) Does Penn State have a big enough hoops following for the fan’s voices to be heard by an administrator?

My answer is a flat “NO”.

I can make as much noise as I want. Cappy can hear me, Curley can’t. I’m not foolish enough to think I can change anyones mind, no matter how hard I can try. We all fool ourselves if we think we can. I can’t even convince kidcoyote that Curry was lucky to land with the Warriors, and we only have some ribs and a few beers on the line (and an onion loaf ;D ). How on God’s Earth can we think that we have the power to convince Curley to make a decision that will effect a multi-million dollar sports program.

Sure, it can be a coincidence, but media sources admitted and the University (although not bluntly) admitted the Gonzo hiring was “grass roots”, meaning a fan hiring.

The Seton Hall forum has a smaller, more exclusive pay section as well as a free section. The pay section is insider information the second it happens. The rest is general talk and discussion around the inside information after it goes public.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:10, topic:1028”]3.) Does Penn State have a big enough hoops following for the fan’s voices to be heard by an administrator?

My answer is a flat “NO”.[/quote]
Seton Hall has a rather small fan base too.

I’m just trying to point out a single case where it HAS HAPPENED. It is possible. The probability is > 0. Doesn’t mean it is likely… but it CAN happen to a collegiate basketball program.

[quote author=noobd link=topic=1046.msg22100#msg22100 date=1269374670]

1.) Have you ever yelled at your TV for the coach to call a TO, then he does? Does that mean he's listening to you, or that the "feel" you have for the game is similar to all involved? When the fans are calling for an AD to make a move, and the AD makes a move, is it because he was listening to the fans, or that he has observed the same things and has the same reaction?
Sure, it can be a coincidence, but [b]media sources admitted and the University (although not bluntly) admitted the Gonzo hiring was "grass roots", meaning a fan hiring[/b].
2.) Most large forums cost money to join. Does the recruit subscribe to all the services of all the schools he is considering? Does the administrators subscribe to get "insider" info? Sure, the family may join AFTER their child has committed to the school. I can easily see that.

You bolded part of my post… what am I supposed to infer by that? Am I supposed to expand on that? Link you to the articles?

I forget which exact news source it was (I’ve read dozens on Seton Hall’s situation in the past 2-3 weeks)… going to have to take my word on that.

[quote=“noobd, post:13, topic:1028”]You bolded part of my post… what am I supposed to infer by that? Am I supposed to expand on that? Link you to the articles?

I forget which exact news source it was (I’ve read dozens on Seton Hall’s situation in the past 2-3 weeks)… going to have to take my word on that.[/quote]

OK. I’ll take your word for it.

When I tell others, I’ll refer to you as “a media source”. :-\

I don’t care if you believe me or not. Go make a post on Piratecrew.com asking about the hiring of Gonzo referencing what I said. I’m sure you will see similar accounts about what happened.

I’ve read articles from Zagoria, NJ.com, NorthJersey, NYTimes, etc etc etc. I honestly can’t remember which one it was.

Found it… only took 20 seconds. Shame on me!

http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/hoopshaven/2010/03/19/coaching-carousel-word-on-the-street/

Pat Hobbs will be the point person for the decision-making process but others will have input and obviously Msgr. Sheeran will have to approve any hire. [b]Don’t expect much of a grass-roots impact after the role e-mailers and message-boarders had in helping Gonzo get hired.[/b] Hobbs is biggest ace in the hole SHU has. He’s a sharp guy who should do a good sales job. Candidates will be impressed with him, compared to the ship-adrift front the department projected four years ago.