PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Ed tonight

• Was asked if the Big Ten Network was a recruiting advantage. Said it has its + and -'s. Positive tv exposure. Negative all the empty seats on TV at our home games.

• Was asked by a long time season ticket holder why his season tickets are still not that great of seats. Ed turning a little red said he would have to give the politically correct answer. Said he’s asked the administration to look at the seating issues time and time again. Ways to move people in to all the empty corporate seats.

• Was asked who he feels will be a leader next year. Said the staff is thinking Tim will step up but that has yet to be seen. Also thinks even though Cam doesn’t play a lot he may step up.

• Was asked about Staten and he basically brushed that one off

• Very happy with the incoming recruiting class

• Had to bolt early to pick Glover up from the airport

[quote=“battlesway2, post:1, topic:2348”]- Was asked if the Big Ten Network was a recruiting advantage. Said it has its + and -'s. Positive tv exposure. Negative all the empty seats on TV at our home games.

• Was asked by a long time season ticket holder why his season tickets are still not that great of seats. Ed turning a little red said he would have to give the politically correct answer. Said he’s asked the administration to look at the seating issues time and time again. Ways to move people in to all the empty corporate seats.

• Was asked who he feels will be a leader next year. Said the staff is thinking Tim will step up but that has yet to be seen. Also thinks even though Cam doesn’t play a lot he may step up.

• Had to bolt early to pick Glover up from the airport[/quote]

Don’t think he can talk about Staten until whatever mechanism triggers him officially being a Nittany Lion.

[quote=“battlesway2, post:1, topic:2348”]- Was asked if the Big Ten Network was a recruiting advantage. Said it has its + and -'s. Positive tv exposure. Negative all the empty seats on TV at our home games.

Thanks, really appreciate this kind of stuff. What was the venue?

[quote="battlesway2, post:1, topic:2348"]- Was asked if the Big Ten Network was a recruiting advantage. Said it has its + and -'s. Positive tv exposure. Negative all the empty seats on TV at our home games.

Don’t think he can talk about Staten until whatever mechanism triggers him officially being a Nittany Lion.

I don’t think he’s allowed to mention Glover either. He’s not allowed to talk about ANY recruiting targets until they sign their LOI. :-\

allenberry

[quote="battlesway2, post:1, topic:2348"]- Was asked if the Big Ten Network was a recruiting advantage. Said it has its + and -'s. Positive tv exposure. Negative all the empty seats on TV at our home games.

I don’t think he’s allowed to mention Glover either. He’s not allowed to talk about ANY recruiting targets until they sign their LOI. :-</blockquote>He didn’t mention Glover by name

I don’t think he’s allowed to mention Glover either. He’s not allowed to talk about ANY recruiting targets until they sign their LOI. :-</blockquote>

It’s not quite that Draconian. He is allowed to acknowledge that they are recruiting someone. However, most coaches won’t even go that far just to avoid violating any NCAA rules.

I don’t think he’s allowed to mention Glover either. He’s not allowed to talk about ANY recruiting targets until they sign their LOI. :-</blockquote>

It’s not quite that Draconian. He is allowed to acknowledge that they are recruiting someone. However, most coaches won’t even go that far just to avoid violating any NCAA rules.

…but I don’t think he’s allowed to mention them by name, is he?

Skeeza look up a few posts. He didn’t mention him by name but it was easy to figure out who he was talking about

No, he’s allowed to confirm he is recruiting a player, but nothing else:

13.10.2 Comments Before signing. Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution may com- ment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete. The institution may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete’s ability or the contribution that the prospec- tive student-athlete might make to the institution’s team; further, the institution is precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete’s signing with that institution. Violations of this bylaw do not affect a prospective student-athlete’s eligibility and are considered institutional violations per Constitution 2.8.1. (Revised: 1/14/97)

Fun read

In the process of acknowledging that he is recruiting someone, it doesn’t matter if he mentions him by name or pronoun, either one is ok.

RE: TICKET ISSUES

I REALLY hope he isn’t so “politically correct” when he is asking certain people time and time again. Guy needs to start commanding a little respect, especially here on this front. The horses— needs to stop.

Thanks for the info. I am actually encouraged by the DeChellis response here. Just hoping behind the door he is actually grabbing this bull by the horns.

Thanks, Battles. Interesting that Ed would publically mention the empty seats.
I believe, some/many schools consider putting fannies into seats the HCs responsibility!

Does the school not make enough money that they just can’t let the students in for free, like it was back in the day at Rec Hall?

They would still get $$$ from concession sales that they wouldn’t have had in the first place. So I’d say it works out to a wash in a lot of cases.

I just remember when I went to school that if I was on campus at the time of a hoops game, I’d stop in to see the action. If I had to fork over $5 or whatever it was, I might think differently. I know $5 is not a lot of money, but when you’re talking about students on a shoestring budget, it can certainly make a difference in whether they attend or do not attend a PSU hoop game.

One of the reasons I am hesitant to go to a game is what I have posted on here in the past. I took my family to a game, I got to the window, asked for the best seats, and end up in the nose bleed section while 80% of the seats below me were empty.

I know now that I should have moved anyway but that sure has stopped me on many occasions from making the 1.5 hour trip to a game.

[quote=“SAS, post:15, topic:2348”]One of the reasons I am hesitant to go to a game is what I have posted on here in the past. I took my family to a game, I got to the window, asked for the best seats, and end up in the nose bleed section while 80% of the seats below me were empty.

I know now that I should have moved anyway but that sure has stopped me on many occasions from making the 1.5 hour trip to a game.[/quote]

It’s a fine line the University has to walk. They promised people who contributed to the building of the BJC that they would have lifetime access to the seats of their choosing. Are they now going to go back on that promise?

It would seem to me that there are enough intelligent people in Centre County to come up with a workable solution to this problem if someone really wants to solve it.

I happened to see Spanier’s show on the B10 Network titled “Game Day” and it features among others Guido D’Elia. To hear Guido talk, you would think he invented game day sports marketing. If he is responsible for the 100k that attend the football games, maybe he could (for a fee of course) lend his “expertise” to the basketball team(s) and help them fill the seats.

The show Spanier’s host is a “national talk show” produced by Penn State and filmed in Chicago. Yet, it does little to promote PSU rather it seems to be a vehicle to promote the host.

http://expertopinion.psu.edu/game_day.html

A few years back, the AD ran a program called “Operation Full House Courtside”. If you held season tickets in Sec’s 104,105,106 or 107, you were encouraged to call the ticket office if you were unable to use your tickets for a particular game. Those prime seats would then be sold to walk-up customers. If your seats were sold, you would be credited with a donation to the Levi Lamb Fund and receive NLC pts equal to the value of the tickets. You did not receive a “refund”.

This was promoted for several yrs. From my recollection, the program was only available during the conference games. However, I have not received a mailing on this in several yrs so I assume they no longer run the program. It would seem that this program was a good solution to filling the prime, courtside seats. It probably just needed to be promoted more and/or offer a credit equal to the value of the tickets toward the following season’s tickets.

We have discussed before that with the tickets now barcoded, the AD would easily be able to determine exactly who is using/not using their tickets. With that info., the NLC could make a personal contact with those “fat cat” season ticket holders who are using their tickets less than X% of the time and encourage them to use the Operation Full House Courtside or to relinquish their tickets for the good of the program. The NLC/AD could even retain some prime seats for those fat cats that voluntarily relinquish their seats that would be availabe should they want to attend a game or invite them to sit in the NLC box for games of their choosing.

[quote=“FrankDrebin, post:18, topic:2348”]I happened to see Spanier’s show on the B10 Network titled “Game Day” and it features among others Guido D’Elia. To hear Guido talk, you would think he invented game day sports marketing. If he is responsible for the 100k that attend the football games, maybe he could (for a fee of course) lend his “expertise” to the basketball team(s) and help them fill the seats.

The show Spanier’s host is a “national talk show” produced by Penn State and filmed in Chicago. Yet, it does little to promote PSU rather it seems to be a vehicle to promote the host.

http://expertopinion.psu.edu/game_day.html[/quote]

Beaver Stadium will regularly have 20,000 empty seats within 2-3 years. (NOT counting the students section, which will be half full at best.)