PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Ed DeChellis is a man of honor and ethics

http://www.navysports.com/m/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052511aaa.html

I read the Morelli on lion article earlier. The one in which he has the nerve to call Ed a liar and a coward. I then began to feel sorry for Morelli. I thought to myself, what does this man have to be proud of? Has he ever lost a parent to cancer or any other tragedy? What about both parents and a best friend? Does he only worry about wins and losses? I don’t know Morelli and have no desire to know him. He just comes across as an arrogant online blogger who takes shots at guys he believes do not win enough for his liking. And if that is all he really has to look forward to each day, I will continue to feel sorry for that man.

Great article - really shows this decision from a different perspective. Thanks for posting.

After reading this article, I actually believe ED was telling the truth about his reasons for leaving. Sure, maybe some of the other stuff played a part. But I really believe ED is just a different creature. I hope I run into him on one of my trips to Annapolis so I can shake his hand and thank him personally for being such a fine coach and human being.

I’m going to make a trip over to Lewisburg to see him when Navy comes to town.

I watched the presser for the first time just awhile ago and I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Eddie meant every word he said about going to the Navy. I believe him 100%. He may have danced around a few questions in order to appear gracious, as is his way, but he could not have been more clear in his reasons for leaving. I have no doubt that this is what he wants to do. He did the best he could here, and the USNA fans/alums/sailors everywhere are going to embrace him fully with pride and I hope he goes down in the books as one of the best to ever pass through the USNA. Some people will be jaded and question it but some people don’t understand that a few guys like Eddie still exist. He is the Last Boy Scout. He reminds me of a lot of guys I grew up around. A throwback, whatever you want to call him.

[quote=“HoopWild, post:1, topic:2421”]http://www.navysports.com/m/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052511aaa.html

I read the Morelli on lion article earlier. The one in which he has the nerve to call Ed a liar and a coward. I then began to feel sorry for Morelli. I thought to myself, what does this man have to be proud of? Has he ever lost a parent to cancer or any other tragedy? What about both parents and a best friend? Does he only worry about wins and losses? I don’t know Morelli and have no desire to know him. He just comes across as an arrogant online blogger who takes shots at guys he believes do not win enough for his liking. And if that is all he really has to look forward to each day, I will continue to feel sorry for that man.[/quote]

Did you ever read this person’s stuff when he was with the print BWI? If you did, this would not surprise you. The next positive thing he writes about anything PSU, any sport, will be groundbreaking.

I have no doubt ED was sincere in his reasons for leaving PSU…no doubt. Just like I have no doubt that the guys that leave most jobs are sincere for their reasoning for taking another job. Whether it money, family, special place, whatever.

The people I feel for are the recruits…especially this late in the game. Most schools have their rosters full for next season and it may too late for our recruits to change their committment. ED did what was best for ED…as he should do. The recruits chose PSU because of ED and staff and now it’s almost June and they don’t have a college coach.

[quote=“Joe, post:7, topic:2421”]I have no doubt ED was sincere in his reasons for leaving PSU…no doubt. Just like I have no doubt that the guys that leave most jobs are sincere for their reasoning for taking another job. Whether it money, family, special place, whatever.

The people I feel for are the recruits…especially this late in the game. Most schools have their rosters full for next season and it may too late for our recruits to change their committment. ED did what was best for ED…as he should do. The recruits chose PSU because of ED and staff and now it’s almost June and they don’t have a college coach.[/quote]

Agreed. I am disappointed in the timing of Ed leaving now with those 6 new recruits coming into the program this fall. I would have thought that Ed would have been up to the challenge of rebuilding the team with Frazier, Marshall, Graham, Sasa, etc, and the new kids.

Me too Cappy…I thought ED would have seen it through and taken the challenge. ED did what was best for ED just like all coaches. I’m not giving ED a pass on his timing.

Other coaches leave for fame and fortune and we crucify them because we don’t really know the coaches so they are bums for leaving their program. ED leaves because of ED and what was in his heart and many of us are giving him a pass because we know him. The recruits on now left in limbo.

What if he was told he had to make the NCAA again next year? If thats the case, he was essentially forced out.

ED did what was best ED…we understand that. I still feel for the recruits entering June without a college coach.

Something along this lines is most likely, IMO. Seems to me the job a bit too high profile for Ed. The Big 10 is the proverbial ‘hot kitchen.’ The conference ads, “Big Life, Big Stage, Big 10”, is spot on.

My guess is Ed thought he should get an extension/pay raise after getting PSU to the Dance. TC thought otherwise. End of story

I really think the Athletic Director screwed this up.

The writing was on the wall. The AD did this on the cheap. Curley did not want to fire Ed, because he may have had to pay the remaining 3 years, or some type of penalty.

[quote="battlesway2, post:13, topic:2421"]My guess is Ed thought he should get an extension/pay raise after getting PSU to the Dance. TC thought otherwise. End of story[/quote]

The writing was on the wall. The AD did this on the cheap. Curley did not want to fire Ed, because he may have had to pay the remaining 3 years, or some type of penalty.

How did the AD screw this up? If ED wanted an extension and TC didn’t think he was deserving…what’s the problem?

[quote="battlesway2, post:13, topic:2421"]My guess is Ed thought he should get an extension/pay raise after getting PSU to the Dance. TC thought otherwise. End of story[/quote]

How did the AD screw this up? If ED wanted an extension and TC didn’t think he was deserving…what’s the problem?

As it’s been said on here many times, if you do not have a 4 year contract, you are at a disadvantage to every other coach you are recruiting against. It makes you an impotent recruiter. The AD is basically handicapping the coach.

EVERY AD and coach knows this.

As it’s been said on here many times, if you do not have a 4 year contract, you are at a disadvantage to every other coach you are recruiting against. It makes you an impotent recruiter. The AD is basically handicapping the coach.

No one ever said TC is AD smart.

Since I’m the one that says it all the time, let’s at least get my quote right. What I have said is that you don’t let the remaining years on your coach’s contract fall below two years. DeChellis was not yet in that time frame. His decision point would have come up after next season.

Long-simmering conclusion that he, or basketball, or both, did not have the administration’s support. Whether he was right or not, that’s what did it. wouldn’t try to peg it to any single event. If there was one, it was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Although I am an unqualified ED supporter, I am not saying that Curley just created that feeling out of incompetence (although that is certainly possible). He’s got an athletic department to run and student athletes who deserve the best. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Since I’m the one that says it all the time, let’s at least get my quote right. What I have said is that you don’t let the remaining years on your coach’s contract fall below two years. DeChellis was not yet in that time frame. His decision point would have come up after next season.

But if the decision is made after this coming year, which everyone accepts is going to be a huge step backwards (or rebuilding if you want to say it nicely)… he was basically seeing the writing on the wall.