PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Ed DeChellis Approval Rating

BSD posted a poll which has received 180 votes so far: http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2010/12/22/1891683/ed-dechellis-approval-rating

I’m just curious as to how different the same poll will look when the voters are strictly PSU Basketball fans. BSD has a lot of football and general Penn State fans that may skew the stats.

I added an “NCAA or bust” option to the BSD poll because there wasn’t really an option for some of you “wait and see” people.

If NCAA or Bust is an option, I don’t see how poeple could vote to can him at the end of the year.

We may be in a low spot right now, but if he is able to turn the corner with this team, to the point that they make the NCAAs, wh would he be canned at that point?

True. I guess the difference between NCAA or Bust and BSD’s option is that they leave no room for this team to turn it around. While I certainly don’t think they can, I suppose it is possible and would make a storyline for the ages.

There are already 6 votes for fire him at the end of the season, so I think that NCAA or bust ship has sailed. :-\

[quote=“noobd, post:3, topic:1679”]True. I guess the difference between NCAA or Bust and BSD’s option is that they leave no room for this team to turn it around. While I certainly don’t think they can, I suppose it is possible and would make a storyline for the ages.

There are already 6 votes for fire him at the end of the season, so I think that NCAA or bust ship has sailed. :-[/quote]

Another reason why “NCAA or Bust” is not getting many votes may be because the cupboard is rather bare next year and he is being held responsible for that as well.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:2, topic:1679”]If NCAA or Bust is an option, I don’t see how poeple could vote to can him at the end of the year.

We may be in a low spot right now, but if he is able to turn the corner with this team, to the point that they make the NCAAs, wh would he be canned at that point?[/quote]
At this point I am voting fire him now because of the very slim chance of this happening.

I have not been in the fire Ed camp until last night. After watching that, I am concerned the program completely unravels.

[quote="noobd, post:3, topic:1679"]True. I guess the difference between NCAA or Bust and BSD's option is that they leave no room for this team to turn it around. While I certainly don't think they can, I suppose it is possible and would make a storyline for the ages.

There are already 6 votes for fire him at the end of the season, so I think that NCAA or bust ship has sailed. :-[/quote]

Another reason why “NCAA or Bust” is not getting many votes may be because the cupboard is rather bare next year and he is being held responsible for that as well.

I actually like the group of freshmen coming in next year. And I like a couple of the freshmen we have on the roster this year. I think we’ll struggle A LOT next year. But I don’t think the cupboard is “bare” – just very green.

I say we should let him finish out the season, I don’t know how much better it will be if we let the assistants handle the team.

How about if we allow Nittany Nation to coach the team every game, the assistants can just handle the practices and recruiting? That would probably up the student turnout…

who voted for bringing him back no matter what?

Either Mrs DeChellis or Curley

I think its pretty easy to narrow that down to one of two posters. Both are deluded. One seems to live in a fantasy land of his own making while the other is agressively obnoxious in his defense of this team and coach. I’ll let you figure out who is who.

[quote=“noobd, post:1, topic:1679”]BSD posted a poll which has received 180 votes so far: http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2010/12/22/1891683/ed-dechellis-approval-rating

I’m just curious as to how different the same poll will look when the voters are strictly PSU Basketball fans. BSD has a lot of football and general Penn State fans that may skew the stats.

I added an “NCAA or bust” option to the BSD poll because there wasn’t really an option for some of you “wait and see” people.[/quote]

DeChellis is the worse coach in Penn State’s less than illustrious BB history. To let this go on is an insult to students and alums who have any respect for the people who make Penn State a great institution. He should be fired immediately but we all know that will not happen. On the other hand, if he really is as good as everyone says then he should resign out of respect for his players. A truly good man would not let this injustice continue when he has to know the disgracefully poor job he is doing. It’s getting tiresome to hear what a great guy he is when you see this team in action.

Looking back at Ed’s PSU career there were times (both NIT years) it looked like he was on the right track. We now know this marginal success was probably more to do with certain seniors who excelled in spite of his coaching. In both cases the following years were disastrously bad to the point it was almost painful to watch. So here we are, a new year, same old Ed. This year’s team looks to set a new standard for futility. In spite of 4 senior starters this team has been unable to put forth the effort to even look respectable against what will never be mistaken for elite college competition. Enough already! Ed, do the right thing, RESIGN IMMEDIATELY. Please.

Interesting…97.80% of voters on this board think, at best, that PSU should fire Ed if he fails to make the tournament this year. It would seem that the Maine loss was the proverbial “straw that broke the camel’s back.”

Though I think the camel had an appointment for the chiropractor on Wednesday before his visit to the emergency room on Tuesday night superseded that.

Though I think the camel had an appointment for the chiropractor on Wednesday before his visit to the emergency room on Tuesday night superseded that.

Nittany…Thanks! ;D ;D ;D ;D That’s one of the reasons I like this board! At least a few people here can keep their sense of humor!

I wouldn’t completely agree with that, since the answers were either “Bring Ed back no matter what” or “NCAA or bust”. The fact that there is nothing in between suggests to me that maybe some didn’t vote since there isn’t an option that they like. I think if Ed were able to salvage this season and somehow make a deep NIT run, then there would be signs of hope for his future here. There is a 99% chance that it won’t happen, but I would have voted for something like “Ed only stays if he really, really turns this thing around this season”. I can’t believe that anyone would want him back next year if we went something like 3-15 in the Big10.

That would not change my opinion one bit. If we somehow turn this thing around (very most likely not happening), I would place that turn-around on the shoulders of the players and senior leadership, not that of ED. If that happened and ED stayed around because of it, that would be horrible for the future of this program. Jamelle Cornley won the B10 COTY a couple years ago, we can’t have something like that happen again this season.

I voted NCAA or bust.

I thought it was best to fire him after last season, but I didn’t jump up and down demanding it. There was hope for this year, but it was the right time. A new coach would have come in with a 4 seniors who would have been doubtful to jump ship so there would be some continuity. Maybe Babb and Edwards would have stayed if they liked the new coach. The biggest upside was that the new coach would have plenty of time to find HIS recruits to replace this year’s seniors. Firing ED after this season will cause many from this team to leave and most of the recruits to request release. He’ll have a short recruiting window to find replacements. 2011/12 could easily be an 0-18 big ten season. Worse than ED’s first 2 years.