Ed and the Technical Foul

Back in 2007 I was up in Pa. the first week in February. I went to the Purdue game. The Purdue game marked our 7th straight loss in what became a 13 game loosing streak.
There were a bunch of calls in that game that I (and many others) felt we should have got but didn’t. Somewhere in that game, and or before the next game (Wisconsin) Steve and Dick both made comments that Ed needed to get on the officials and that he probably needed to get himself an early T to more or less send a message. At that point Ed had gone a couple of seasons without a single Technical.

I went to the next game against Wisconsin sure enough Ed got an early T. (I stood and cheared). I didn’t do any research on this, but based all my following of PSU basketball, I am not aware of a single technical foul on Ed since. If that is correct then he has gone 100 games without one.

When I rewatched that OSU game the other night there was such a sideline comportment contrast between Matta and Ed, and especially when it came to fouls. Madda was constantly yapping at the officials calls that went against his team. On the other hand we were getting (IMO) the lions share of bad calls and Ed appeared to at the most offer a quiet question or give the official a perplexed look.

I’m not going to list them all, but dang that hanging on the rim ,no call that aided a Purdue basket and Jackson (OSU game) getting his head in a headlock and being called for a foul, just should not be overlooked when your team is still fighting and in the dreads of a 10 game loosing streak.
Hell, even when Ed calls for a foul and has Brooks pushing and wrapping his arms around Lauderdale he can’t even get a call that he is handing the official.

Come on coach, 1 technical foul in probably just about 200 games isn’t getting you any respect. Next really crappy, unacceptable call, let the damn zebra know your sick and tired of it.
Please!

Every coach “works” the refs in their own way. Of course, some are better than others.
I also think it is good for the HC coach to get a technical every now and then.
I remember watching a Conn at Purdue game many years ago. Conn was not quite on the big scale but they were close. Anyway, Conn got off to a good start. The Purdue team nor the fans were “in the game.” Gene Keady changed all that by getting everybody’s attention (players/fans/refs) and took off his yellow short jacket, threw it on the ground and started jumping up and down on top of it. He got a “T” and his team went on a 20-1 (approximately) run and won the game going away.

[quote=“Duff, post:1, topic:797”]Back in 2007 I was up in Pa. the first week in February. I went to the Purdue game. The Purdue game marked our 7th straight loss in what became a 13 game loosing streak.
There were a bunch of calls in that game that I (and many others) felt we should have got but didn’t. Somewhere in that game, and or before the next game (Wisconsin) Steve and Dick both made comments that Ed needed to get on the officials and that he probably needed to get himself an early T to more or less send a message. At that point Ed had gone a couple of seasons without a single Technical.

I went to the next game against Wisconsin sure enough Ed got an early T. (I stood and cheared). I didn’t do any research on this, but based all my following of PSU basketball, I am not aware of a single technical foul on Ed since. If that is correct then he has gone 100 games without one.

When I rewatched that OSU game the other night there was such a sideline comportment contrast between Matta and Ed, and especially when it came to fouls. Madda was constantly yapping at the officials calls that went against his team. On the other hand we were getting (IMO) the lions share of bad calls and Ed appeared to at the most offer a quiet question or give the official a perplexed look.

I’m not going to list them all, but dang that hanging on the rim ,no call that aided a Purdue basket and Jackson (OSU game) getting his head in a headlock and being called for a foul, just should not be overlooked when your team is still fighting and in the dreads of a 10 game loosing streak.
Hell, even when Ed calls for a foul and has Brooks pushing and wrapping his arms around Lauderdale he can’t even get a call that he is handing the official.

Come on coach, 1 technical foul in probably just about 200 games isn’t getting you any respect. Next really crappy, unacceptable call, let the damn zebra know your sick and tired of it.
Please![/quote]

Ed has worse issues than failing to collect technicals

What about the recent no-call on the blatant defensive goaltending? The hang on the rim with the ball above the cylinder(you mentioned)? Makes you wonder if Ed knows the rules violations.

If you’ve been reading the game threads you’ll see I’ve requested the same thing here recently. The team sometimes needs a fire lit under them, and Ed surely isn’t doing it by not fighting for his guys getting the calls all nonchalantly.

I’d love to see him really get in an officials face over some of these calls, especially if it’s going to ignite the team and make them realize their coach has their back and is fighting just like they are.

[quote="Duff, post:1, topic:797"]Back in 2007 I was up in Pa. the first week in February. I went to the Purdue game. The Purdue game marked our 7th straight loss in what became a 13 game loosing streak. There were a bunch of calls in that game that I (and many others) felt we should have got but didn't. Somewhere in that game, and or before the next game (Wisconsin) Steve and Dick both made comments that Ed needed to get on the officials and that he probably needed to get himself an early T to more or less send a message. At that point Ed had gone a couple of seasons without a single Technical.

Please![/quote]

Ed has worse issues than failing to collect technicals

Sure he does. But just collecting technicals is not the point or goal.

Refs often make up for what they consider an obvious mistake they’ve made, like the non-call on the goaltending. If you hit 'em hard on something like that, they know they’ve been caught in a mistake, and since exposed, if they can’t correct it, by looking at the monitor(and I don’t think they can do that), they’ll make it up. They feel obligated.

I’ve always felt coaches need to pick their fights. If you badger refs the whole game, it doesn’t work, like the boy who cried wolf. But coming from Ed, they’d know they blew it. Having a coach appropriately and selectively mad also gives you the impression he knows what’s going on. When you look at some of our inbounds efforts,esp after called TO’s, it makes one wonder.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:7, topic:797”]Refs often make up for what they consider an obvious mistake they’ve made, like the non-call on the goaltending. If you hit 'em hard on something like that, they know they’ve been caught in a mistake, and since exposed, if they can’t correct it, by looking at the monitor(and I don’t think they can do that), they’ll make it up. They feel obligated.

I’ve always felt coaches need to pick their fights. If you badger refs the whole game, it doesn’t work, like the boy who cried wolf. But coming from Ed, they’d know they blew it. Having a coach appropriately and selectively mad also gives you the impression he knows what’s going on. When you look at some of our inbounds efforts,esp after called TO’s, it makes one wonder.[/quote]

That’s correct - that call isn’t reviewable.