PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Early Season Win Total for NCAA'S

It is early in the season, but why not get it started? We are fans after all! I personally feel that PSU must go 9-2 OOC and then have a conference record of 8-10. I think 17 will do it.

i went with 17, but that is predicated on the B10 winning the challenge tonight. Winning puts the B10 up at the top of the conference power list enabling an 8-10 17 win PSU team to dance.

It’s too early to say with any sort of certainty, but I would think 17 would only be good enough if we finished in the top 5 of the Big Ten and lost in the 4-5 game. Otherwise, I think we’ll need 18 wins.

1. I’m assuming PSU drops their two games against Maryland and VT.

A more accurate poll will be how many B10 games will PSU need to win? I’m not sure how good they are yet, since Ole Miss wasn’t on TV. Maryland and Virginia Tech will be telling.

It is dfinitely too early, but it is interesting to see what Rpiforecast suggests our RPI would be by record.

20 - 20.2
19 - 27.0
18 - 35.2
17 - 45.9
16 - 58.4

Based on those numbers, at this early point, 18 would likely be a lock. 17, if the B10 is as strong as it appears, would be a good number. It will be curious to watch as things unfold.

Losing those next 2 and winning 18 games would mean that we either went 9-9 in the Big Ten and won a game at the BTT, or went 10-8 and didn’t win a game in the tourney (though 10-8 should put us in the 4-5 game). I think either of those scenarios would get us dancing.

If PSU wins tonight, I think they can win 20 games. If they win tonight, IMO, they can beat IL at home. What’s interesting is that there’s a possibility of winning the 1st 5 conference games, Indiana and Michigan away, Purdue, MSU and IL at home. Tall order? Yes, but Purdue lost to Richmond and IL hung on to beat Maryland. That’s why I think tonight’s game is so important, not necessarily the W, but the ability to beat teams of this caliber. Winning tonight should give confidence they can beat IL, and Purdue losing to Richmond, with Richmond’s guard burning them, shows that can be done too. 10-8 in conference if we win tonight.

[quote=“noobd, post:4, topic:1577”]19. I’m assuming PSU drops their two games against Maryland and VT.

A more accurate poll will be how many B10 games will PSU need to win? I’m not sure how good they are yet, since Ole Miss wasn’t on TV. Maryland and Virginia Tech will be telling.[/quote]

My feeling on ole miss is that we should have won the game. I don’t think that a road loss to a projected 130’s RPI squad is going to be too harmful to our RPI, but it should have been a win. I think Ole Miss is an NIT team again.

[quote="noobd, post:4, topic:1577"]19. I'm assuming PSU drops their two games against Maryland and VT.

A more accurate poll will be how many B10 games will PSU need to win? I’m not sure how good they are yet, since Ole Miss wasn’t on TV. Maryland and Virginia Tech will be telling.[/quote]

My feeling on ole miss is that we should have won the game. I don’t think that a road loss to a projected 130’s RPI squad is going to be too harmful to our RPI, but it should have been a win. I think Ole Miss is an NIT team again.

Agreed, that’s not a killer loss by any means, but it was one of our few chances to get a good non-conf win. Should we have won the game? I don’t know. Mississippi shot the ball really well so did we just get them on a bad night or was our defense bad.

[quote="noobd, post:4, topic:1577"]19. I'm assuming PSU drops their two games against Maryland and VT.

The game left me feeling as though Ole Miss played a bit above their general skill level. I wish I could have seen the game rather than listen, but the stats seemed a tad anomalous for them.

Agreed, that’s not a killer loss by any means, but it was one of our few chances to get a good non-conf win. Should we have won the game? I don’t know. Mississippi shot the ball really well so did we just get them on a bad night or was our defense bad.

Its just tough to judge the Ole Miss game since we didn’t see it. That’s why I can’t wait to see the team play Maryland and Virginia Tech.

Ole Miss crapped the bed in the first half @Miami last night, but got hot in the 2nd half and made it a game.

same story with dayton game. i think ole miss scored 49 in the 1st 1/2 and 19 in the 2nd.

We won 22 and didn’t even get in so I’ll say 20. We should have got in that season but I guess no one had faith in us :frowning:

Those 22 wins gave us an RPI of 70. A much, much, much better non-conference schedule coupled with a stronger Big Ten makes it like comparing apples to oranges. We could potentially have an RPI of 70 this season by playing .500 ball.