PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Duquesne Preview

I follow the team in the media and message board. Plus, I see the kids play a lot in the Pgh. Summer League.
Last game (against ~itt) the Dukes started a very small team. 5-10 Talley, 6-0 McConnell (Suzie’s nephew) , 6-5 Monteiro, 6-5 Clark and 6-7 Saunders. I think all of those listed heights are exaggerated except for McConnell. The Dukes lost their starting PG (Evans) to injury before the season.
Talley and McConnell are true Freshman. Talley is very small but very quick/fast. McConnell is a player. He will surprise!! Monteiro is very athletic running/jumping type player. Clark and Saunders are both very talented. They have been regulars for several years. I’ve seen them dominate the ~itt players. But, I seen them play like they are not "in the mood."
6-8 Peggau has started 4 games. But, he is not a great talent. Forwards Wright and Marhold are athletic but are not there yet. Johnson and Jones are “shooting guard” types. I like Jones. I think with time he will be pretty good.

Summary…Duquesne is NOT a great team. They lost to Robert Morris. They are prone to being dominated inside! As go Clark and Saunders goes Duquesne. Saunders has missed 3 games due to a team suspension. His conditioning may be suspect. Duquesne is not afraid to play "fast."
So…the key is to contain Clark and Saunders. If they get our bigs in foul trouble, look out. This is a team PSU should be able to “go inside” (how’s that Kid!!) against.
I give Duquesne a “puncher’s chance” but I think PSU will win.

Men’s basketball ready for Dukes By Jared Shanker Collegian Columnist

goduquesne.com: Dukes Renew Rivalry With Penn State on Saturday

Duquesne game notes

Penn State Basketball: Next Game Primer with Coach Earl - Duquesne

Duquesne to show PSU life in fast lane by Jeff Rice

gopsusports.com: Nittany Lions Take On Duquesne Saturday

PSU game notes