PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Duke @ UNC

Wow. Game of the night. Game of the year. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a top tier team fold like that at the end.

Yet, with me being the geek I am, here is what really inspires this post:

Everyone has seen the replay of Zeller accidentally knocking in the shot at the end of the game, right? Well, here is that shot in the play-by-play:

0:18 Ryan Kelly made Jumper. Assisted by Austin Rivers. 82-83

This actually goes back to a topic that we have kicked around a few times on this forum.
My question is, how can Austin Rivers be credited with an assist?

I call shenannigans !!! >:(

I wasn’t actually that impressed by the game. I thought Carolina dominated, and their inability to close out Duke cost them the game. Well that, and a blatantly missed travel call on Curry, and a non goal tend call on a Kendall Marshall layup in the 1st half. That’s a 5 point swing over the course of the game that proved costly.

The officiating was horrid as well. Every touch was a foul. I remember a three point play by Plumlee where he beat McAdoo on the baseline. James just stuck his arms in the air over his head, and Plumlee hit the bucket with very minimal contact, and they blew the whistle. There were numerous instances for Carolina as well like this.

I thought Roy Williams needed to get the ball more to Zeller, and to Barnes. Barnes got white hot in the 2nd half, and would go long stretches of the game without the ball. Zeller had 19 pts and 8 rbs after the 1st half, and hardly got the ball in the 2nd. Poor coaching.

Carolina/Kentucky was a way better game than this IMO. Much higher quality of basketball.

Also last night, how bout those BC eagles, upsetting # 17 FSU 64-60. This is the same FSU team that blew out NC recently at home and beat Duke at Duke. I guess those BC eagles that PSU beat at BC are not so bad after all! :wink:

[quote=“Skeeza, post:1, topic:3055”]Wow. Game of the night. Game of the year. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a top tier team fold like that at the end.

Everyone has seen the replay of Zeller accidentally knocking in the shot at the end of the game, right? Well, here is that shot in the play-by-play:

This actually goes back to a topic that we have kicked around a few times on this forum.

I call shenannigans !!! >:([/quote]

The same way Ryan Kelly gets credit with the jumper. It was all part of the play. I know it seems odd. But I guess that’s the rule.

I’m just happy that ~itt lost!!!

I still think they will get the ECSBPSN exemption into the dance.

Thought it was a great game between two top tier teams. I mean the talent level on that floor was ridiculous.

That being said, was defense optional in that game? I mean my goodness it was horrible. I stop counting how many times UNC guys went under a screen to leave a Duke guy wide open for 3. On the other hand UNC was just blowing by Duke defenders and getting easy layups/put backs all night long.

Give me a Big 10 slugfest at 36-33 anytime ;D

Oh, they played last night?

I’ll catch one of the next three times they play this year.

Ho-hum

I call shenannigans !!! >:(

The same way Ryan Kelly gets credit with the jumper. It was all part of the play. I know it seems odd. But I guess that’s the rule.

Yes, but it gets even more strange.

Ryan Kelly was actually shooting a 3. Feet were not even close to the line, so there is no dispute to that. He didn’t get credit for the 3, only for the 2. That may be because Zeller altered the ball enough that the actual shot didn’t count.

…but Rivers got the assist ??? :o

hmmmmmmmmm

[quote=“rwd5035, post:2, topic:3055”]I wasn’t actually that impressed by the game. I thought Carolina dominated, and their inability to close out Duke cost them the game. Well that, and a blatantly missed travel call on Curry, and a non goal tend call on a Kendall Marshall layup in the 1st half. That’s a 5 point swing over the course of the game that proved costly.

The officiating was horrid as well. Every touch was a foul. I remember a three point play by Plumlee where he beat McAdoo on the baseline. James just stuck his arms in the air over his head, and Plumlee hit the bucket with very minimal contact, and they blew the whistle. There were numerous instances for Carolina as well like this.

I thought Roy Williams needed to get the ball more to Zeller, and to Barnes. Barnes got white hot in the 2nd half, and would go long stretches of the game without the ball. Zeller had 19 pts and 8 rbs after the 1st half, and hardly got the ball in the 2nd. Poor coaching.

Carolina/Kentucky was a way better game than this IMO. Much higher quality of basketball.[/quote] ::slight_smile:

Not surprised to see whining about bad officiating, even if from a non-PSU game.

Surprised there hasn’t been more, given the myopic perspective taken by some.

I wasn't actually that impressed by the game. I thought Carolina dominated, and their inability to close out Duke cost them the game. Well that, and a blatantly missed travel call on Curry, and a non goal tend call on a Kendall Marshall layup in the 1st half. That's a 5 point swing over the course of the game that proved costly.

Carolina/Kentucky was a way better game than this IMO. Much higher quality of basketball.

::slight_smile:

Not surprised to see whining about bad officiating, even if from a non-PSU game.

I don’t quite understand your point. I thought the officiating was terrible on both sides. Why is that eye rolling worthy?

Wow. Game of the night. Game of the year. It's been a long time since I've seen a top tier team fold like that at the end.

Ho-hum

You really didn’t miss much. It was an exciting finish, but a very sloppy game before it. Lots of stoppages.

I don’t quite understand your point. I thought the officiating was terrible on both sides. Why is that eye rolling worthy?

Perhaps he was surprised that no one has made the six degrees of separation connection via the great whore of BabyloESPN that the bad officiating in the Duke-Carolina game was part of a conspiracy to keep Penn State down.

I’m always amazed at how little defense gets played in this rivalry. Neither team is particularly bad defensively the rest of the year, but these games always become shootouts and it’s just annoying after awhile. Don’t get me wrong, I hate a Big10 40-37 final just as much… so I guess it all evens out.

[quote="Skeeza, post:1, topic:3055"]Wow. Game of the night. Game of the year. It's been a long time since I've seen a top tier team fold like that at the end.[/quote]

Ho-hum

You really didn’t miss much. It was an exciting finish, but a very sloppy game before it. Lots of stoppages.

If this was a one time winner take all type game, I’d show more interest. But fact is they’ll play the “Best Game Of The Year” again in 3 weeks and then maybe again a week after that in the ACC championship game. And then again after that, possibly at the Final Four.

That’s why I find these overblown, Dickie V slam-bam jammer games a little tiring, when all it really is is just another game amongst the many good ones prior to March Madness against two teams cemented as #1 or #2 seeds come March. I prefer to watch two teams on the bubble battle for that last spot to get into the Tourney rather than have Dickie V slobber all over my set and tell me how these two teams are the best thing since sliced bread. Heard it before and will hear it again and again and again…ho-hum.