PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Duke loses to VATECH. If OSU beats Indiana tomorrow, OSU should be ranked No. 1

when they come to Happy Valley on Tuesday night. Stars are aligning.

How would they be ahead of Kansas?? ???

AP poll has OSU #2. ESPN/USA Today poll has the Bucks as #3 and Kansas as #2. Both polls had OSU with more first place votes than Kansas last week. So I expect AP will have OSU #1 and the ESPN/USA Today poll will have either OSU or Kansas as #1. 8)

[quote="Whiteout, post:2, topic:2003"]How would they be ahead of Kansas?? ???[/quote]

AP poll has OSU #2. ESPN/USA Today poll has the Bucks as #3 and Kansas as #2. Both polls had OSU with more first place votes than Kansas last week. So I expect AP will have OSU #1 and the ESPN/USA Today poll will have either OSU or Kansas as #1. 8)

If everyone behaves logically, the fact that OSU had more first place votes than Kansas in the ESPN/USA Today poll will mean that OSU is likely to jump Kansas in the poll. It’s the same thing that happened with Nebraska/Penn State in the 1994 football polls. People in Kansas will attribute the leapfrogging as some sort of conspiracy against them but the fact of the matter will be it will simply be the result of each individual voters behaving logically but resulting in what appears to be an illogical conclusion when the votes are tallied up.

Assuming the Duke #1 voters are evenly split in their opinion regarding OSU vs KU. I can’t think of any reason why they wouldn’t be.

Ouch - thanks for letting me re-live that pain. The sum of the Nebraska and Colorado #1 votes exceeded PSU’s total when NU and CU played. No even split here, the Colorado backers gave their vote to Nebraska when Nebraska won. Hence, this was really another Michigan conspiracy against PSU ;D, because if UM had not blown their game against Colorado in the last seconds, the Buffs wouldn’t have gotten those #1 votes, and PSU would have gotten more “credit” for beating UM.

[quote="UncleLar, post:4, topic:2003"]If everyone behaves logically, the fact that OSU had more first place votes than Kansas in the ESPN/USA Today poll will mean that OSU is likely to jump Kansas in the poll.[/quote]

Assuming the Duke #1 voters are evenly split in their opinion regarding OSU vs KU. I can’t think of any reason why they wouldn’t be.

Ouch - thanks for letting me re-live that pain. The sum of the Nebraska and Colorado #1 votes exceeded PSU’s total when NU and CU played. No even split here, the Colorado backers gave their vote to Nebraska when Nebraska won. Hence, this was really another Michigan conspiracy against PSU ;D, because if UM had not blown their game against Colorado in the last seconds, the Buffs wouldn’t have gotten those #1 votes, and PSU would have gotten more “credit” for beating UM.

Interesting thought - and one that I’m sure that many PSU fans think happened. But have you actually bothered to check the facts to see if that’s true or not?