PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Does this open the door?

For a yearly duel vs Villanova? I wonder if Jay Wright would welcome this or would he fear allowing Coach Chambers to expand recruiting in Philly? Personally, I’d like to see Nova, Temple, and St Joes onthe schedule every year.

La Salle & Drexel wouldn’t be bad schedules either.

Whether games vs. Villanova are scheduled or not, that will not stop us from starting to recruit in Philadelphia. So it would be dumb for a coach to avoid a series for that reason. I think we were not playing Villanova previously for an entirely different reason. I think the previous staff (until last year) preferred a creampuff OOC schedule.

[quote="mhenry41, post:1, topic:2458"]For a yearly duel vs Villanova? I wonder if Jay Wright would welcome this or would he fear allowing Coach Chambers to expand recruiting in Philly? Personally, I'd like to see Nova, Temple, and St Joes onthe schedule every year.[/quote]

Whether games vs. Villanova are scheduled or not, that will not stop us from starting to recruit in Philadelphia. So it would be dumb for a coach to avoid a series for that reason. I think we were not playing Villanova previously for an entirely different reason. I think the previous staff (until last year) preferred a creampuff OOC schedule.

Disagree, I don’t think EDs staff prefferred to play all creampuffs. I know everybody goes back to the 08-09 OOC schedule, which was admittedly a disaster, but you have to look at the schedule over EDs tenure as a whole (and as a sidenote, ED scheduled the Philly Classic specifically because it gave us a chance to play Nova, it just didn’t work out). The first 3 years of EDs tenure, we had Pitt on the schedule. There was also multiple home and home series with high major teams (Texas A&M, Georgetown, Rutgers). And plus, look ahead to next year. He scheduled the tip off classic, matching us up with Kentucky, didn’t he? And what about our non con SOS this year? 7th in the coulntry? I can understand if you didn’t agree with some of the things ED did, but to say he preferred a creampuff schedule doesn’t seem justified to me.

Jay Wright has already stated that the last thing that he needs to do is start a Big East/Big Ten rivalry so I’m not expecting a matchup in the near future.

[quote="mhenry41, post:1, topic:2458"]For a yearly duel vs Villanova? I wonder if Jay Wright would welcome this or would he fear allowing Coach Chambers to expand recruiting in Philly? Personally, I'd like to see Nova, Temple, and St Joes onthe schedule every year.[/quote]

Jay Wright has already stated that the last thing that he needs to do is start a Big East/Big Ten rivalry so I’m not expecting a matchup in the near future.

A rivalry would mean playing every year. I think it would be a good idea to play home/home with 'Nova, Temple, St. Joe’s, etc. on a rotating basis if we can’t get an annual commitment. Maybe Jay meant he had no desire to play every year, but would be open to playing every few years instead.

Off of the AP wire:

[i]While he’s happy for former assistant, Wright would prefer to keep their conversation off the court — and not at a Penn State-Villanova game.

“I’ve got my hands full enough the “Big Five,” Wright said with a laugh. “I’m not looking for any Big East-Big Ten basketball.”[/i]

Jay’s not playing Pat. Forget it.

Can still happen… in MARCH ;D