PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Djones articles

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/01/talor_battle_knew_jimmer_frede.html

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/01/nittany_lions_return_from_obli.html

2 good articles. Imagine if PSU had landed both Battle and Fredette! It could rival some of the all-time greatest back ours in NCAA history.
It’s also great for Jonesy to have a good product to cover. You can tell his excitement in his writing. Keep up the good work DJ!

This morning,

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/01/sunday_morning_coffee_impressi.html

[quote=“tjb, post:3, topic:1861”]This morning,

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/01/sunday_morning_coffee_impressi.html[/quote]

Lookls like Jones is back on board after writing them off. He’s writing as an unabashed fan of these guys.

I wanted to post his point about the horn last night. It is hard to imagine that happening at a football game. This could be perception bias. :slight_smile:

Stuff with the horn and scoreboard isn’t really a big deal - those types of things happen quite frequently at much better basketball schools than PSU. Really not sure what the problem is with all these systems, but it’s not just a PSU issue and it’s not really fair to hold that against them.

[quote=“tjb, post:3, topic:1861”]This morning,

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/01/sunday_morning_coffee_impressi.html[/quote]

“While having Buie around to defend and handle the point in a sub role certainly would be a handy tool for DeChellis, it’s certainly worth noting that the Lions’ run of success the last month roughly coincided with Buie’s suspension. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.”

I agree with this. I think Buie suspension is part of what lit a fire under this team.

I just like this: “But Penn State is the big story in the region right now.”

WE ARE…

OFFICIALLY RELEVANT! :smiley:

About the horn and the scoreboard…
To me it was all symptomatic of the way that place is run by Bob Howard and how men’s basketball is treated as third-class citizens in what is supposed to be its own building. It’s a Mickey Mouse operation done on the cheap.

I’m told the scoreboard has blown transistors and they were working on it Friday trying to make sure it would work. So much for that.

Every time the team gets support from a big crowd, Howard’s people – who operate out of residence and food services, not the athletic dept. – can’t handle it. This is something tha Ath Dept pays $20,000 a pop for and it’s always done on the cheap. Not enough ticket booth clerks so the walk-up lines are always ridiculously long. Not enough concession workers. Clueless ushers who allow late-arrivals to wander down to their seats during play. It’s just a ridiculously unprofessional, under-managed joke.

Also told that in February, the Jordan Center has rented the place out to Bon Jovi for almost two weeks so they can practice for their upcoming tour. And so, the men’s team will get to practice on their own rims exactly four times all month during a period when the first NCAA bid in a decade is at stake.

Just like everywhere else? Not exactly.

[quote=“djones, post:9, topic:1861”]About the horn and the scoreboard…
To me it was all symptomatic of the way that place is run by Bob Howard and how men’s basketball is treated as third-class citizens in what is supposed to be its own building. It’s a Mickey Mouse operation done on the cheap.

I’m told the scoreboard has blown transistors and they were working on it Friday trying to make sure it would work. So much for that.

Every time the team gets support from a big crowd, Howard’s people – who operate out of residence and food services, not the athletic dept. – can’t handle it. This is something tha Ath Dept pays $20,000 a pop for and it’s always done on the cheap. Not enough ticket booth clerks so the walk-up lines are always ridiculously long. Not enough concession workers. Clueless ushers who allow late-arrivals to wander down to their seats during play. It’s just a ridiculously unprofessional, under-managed joke.

Also told that in February, the Jordan Center has rented the place out to Bon Jovi for almost two weeks so they can practice for their upcoming tour. And so, the men’s team will get to practice on their own rims exactly four times all month during a period when the first NCAA bid in a decade is at stake.

Just like everywhere else? Not exactly.[/quote]

Sounds about right. Nearly every time the students requested something out of the BJC/Athletic Dept over the past decade (changing student seating arrangements, pulling bleachers out, turning the lights on throughout the stadium) Bob Howard has nixed it. He is probably my least favorite person in power at Penn State and is ultimately responsible for 90% of the problems the BJC has. The man is no friend of Penn State basketball, and I have yet to understand why Housing is allowed to run that place.

Maybe add that to your post, because a simple horn going off a couple of a times happens almost everywhere and I’m pretty sure that’s not emblematic of the same things in those places… given that it’s the only thing you cite as an example, that’s what I was left to believe your angle was on the thing. These extra examples make a much better point, although I still think you’re overreacting a bit.

[quote=“djones, post:9, topic:1861”]Every time the team gets support from a big crowd, Howard’s people – who operate out of residence and food services, not the athletic dept. – can’t handle it. This is something tha Ath Dept pays $20,000 a pop for and it’s always done on the cheap. Not enough ticket booth clerks so the walk-up lines are always ridiculously long. Not enough concession workers. Clueless ushers who allow late-arrivals to wander down to their seats during play. It’s just a ridiculously unprofessional, under-managed joke.[/quote] The walk-up lines were a joke, the game had already started and there were over a hundred people waiting in line to buy tickets. I know because I was late…the morons in charge of parking would not let me in the parking lot in spite of my preferred parking pass…they said the lot was full (which it was not, I passed many spaces when I walked through the lot). FYI, don’t give at the Honorary Coach level if you are expecting preferred parking for basketball, it won’t be there when you need it.

They can’t do anything right, I didn’t even make an attempt at concessions because I knew they would be understaffed…what a joke.

He’s not. The athletic department has next to no control over the place and it is still a major headache for the team and bball department. The school leases the facility for games and gets third class treatment for their money. It’s part of the reason I’ve advocated for a complete renovation and expansion of Rec Hall and a return there eventually. The BJC is run by clowns and the school has to pay money to play on its own campus.

Simply put, the control of the arena needs to be turned over to the AD sooner rather than later. At least then there is less bureaucracy and crap to wade through to actually get things accomplished for the only other program in the black at the University.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:11, topic:1861"]Maybe add that to your post, because a simple horn going off a couple of a times happens almost everywhere and I'm pretty sure that's not emblematic of the same things in those places.... given that it's the only thing you cite as an example, that's what I was left to believe your angle was on the thing. These extra examples make a much better point, although I still think you're overreacting a bit.[/quote]

He’s not. The athletic department has next to no control over the place and it is still a major headache for the team and bball department. The school leases the facility for games and gets third class treatment for their money. It’s part of the reason I’ve advocated for a complete renovation and expansion of Rec Hall and a return there eventually. The BJC is run by clowns and the school has to pay money to play on its own campus.

Simply put, the control of the arena needs to be turned over to the AD sooner rather than later. At least then there is less bureaucracy and crap to wade through to actually get things accomplished for the only other program in the black at the University.

99 percent of the games I’ve been to since that place opened were fine. So in my experience, it’s an overreaction.

Maybe my standards are lower than most. I don’t know, i doubt it. I think I actually expect the worst most times and I’m usually pleasantly surprised. But then again, I had my tickets prior to the game… I got there 20 minutes ahead of time and found a parking spot quite easily… and I didn’t have to bother with concessions. So maybe I’m just lucky. :slight_smile:

And for the record, I’m not saying I agree with the program having to rent out a building and having no control over how it’s run… but as far as how they handle the games in terms of staffing the place and operations, I don’t see there really being huge problems.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:15, topic:1861”]And for the record, I’m not saying I agree with the program having to rent out a building and having no control over how it’s run… but as far as how they handle the games in terms of staffing the place and operations, I don’t see there really being huge problems. [/quote] Long ticket lines, long concession stand lines and moronic ushers (some of them, not all)…what else do they have to do other than that? Not much, but they screwed that up. I am happy that you are OK tolerating incompetency…not all of us are so good at that.

Maybe one day some rich alum can sell his oil services company and drop some cash to build a basketball-only facility, and the fine folks at Housing will not get the 20 large per game 16 or 17 times a year.

On the few trips I have made over the years, I have found the ushers and ticket service uniformly appalling. It’s like they go out of their way to treat you like second-class citizens. It’s supposed to be the opposite.

Unfortunately, unlike other customers, it’s not like the athletic department can take its business elsewhere. The lifetime value of a basketball customer is pretty high. If they have a great experience they are going to come back again and again (and you’re not going to have to market as much to get them back). But the only customer the BJC seems to recognize is the Athletic Department, and they know it’s locked in.

And for the record, I'm not saying I agree with the program having to rent out a building and having no control over how it's run... but as far as how they handle the games in terms of staffing the place and operations, I don't see there really being huge problems.
Long ticket lines, long concession stand lines and moronic ushers (some of them, not all)...what else do they have to do other than that? Not much, but they screwed that up. I am happy that you are OK tolerating incompetency...not all of us are so good at that.

I just don’t think it’s as bad as you’re saying. I’m fairly anal about these types of things and I think I would have noticed them by now in 100+ games I’ve seen PSU play in that building, not to mention concerts and other things that I’ve attended there.

I guess my point is that it’s a bit of a two-way street. Everyone is so used to being able to stroll into that place at 5 minutes til, find a close parking spot, pickup tickets at the window, and still have time to grab a drink and be seated before the national anthem. Unfortunately, when the team gets a little bit better you’re not going to have those same “luxuries” and it just sounds MOSTLY like a bunch of whining to me.

I’m sure they could improve some of these things, and maybe they would if crowds were consistently that big. But long ticket and concession lines sounds like a minor quibble - get there early if it’s a big deal to you. Some schools have fans camping out to get in the building, and a lot of them are happy to do it. You throw a minor inconvenience at a PSU bball fan (like an extra 5 minutes in the hot dog line) and it’s the most tragic thing ever witnessed at a sporting event.

I’m all for complaining about things like the lack of availability of the gym for the players because of Bon Jovi or things like that… but ticket lines, ushers, concessions… minor things I’ve never had a real big issue with in my many trips there. Anecdotal but you think I would have picked up on these things if they were nearly the catastrophe some are describing.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:19, topic:1861”]I guess my point is that it’s a bit of a two-way street. Everyone is so used to being able to stroll into that place at 5 minutes til, find a close parking spot, pickup tickets at the window, and still have time to grab a drink and be seated before the national anthem. Unfortunately, when the team gets a little bit better you’re not going to have those same “luxuries” and it just sounds MOSTLY like a bunch of whining to me.[/quote] I think the people who wanted to see the game should not have been forced to miss the first 10 minutes of a 40 minute game because there were not enough competent people working the ticket booths. That is what happened. There are sold out arenas across the US every night, but I bet you don’t have to wait 15 minutes in the concession stand lines at those arenas. That is what happened.

There was plenty of discussion on this board about the expected crowd size, but it caught the BJC off guard. If I was running that place, I sure as hell would make it my business to know what to expect. Again, that’s the way I am, obviously not the way you are.