PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Djones article

Dave right on it. Good info. (Taken from news scroll above.)

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/10/brothers_battle_and_buie_happy.html

Liked this part a lot. :wink: Not sure what he means by that last part. Envy?

And Battle’s half brother Taran Buie, son of former Harrisburg High great Dan Buie, is as dynamic a player as this place has ever seen. No one has been able to check his penetration moves in practice. He seeks contact at the rack and still finishes. He’s slapped together up top and brings an attitude to the court that was sorely lacking on a largely deferential group last season. In fact, though he and the even-tempered Battle share the same mother, they are nothing alike. Yet, they are very close. The pair mesh like yin and yang. During a shell-game drill in Friday’s first day of practice, Buie coincidentally ended up matched against his older brother mano-a-mano. The two talked incessant smack before Buie finally picked Battle clean and exploded in screams, having won the game for his mini-team. “We still play around a lot on the court,” said Buie. “We don’t yell at each other. We just like to get hype. If he makes a play, he may scream in my face or smack me on the butt real hard and I do the same to him. That’s kind of our relationship.” Buie is the sort of nitroglycerin that will make something happen one way or another. His spirit is infectious in a good way now. It could also be dysfunctional among a bunch of seniors come the turgid dog days of February. We’ll see.

Kid must have been reading your posts. :wink:

You never really know how a frosh will do when he enters college, as it’s such a leap. I felt that way in state championship game Maginn v. Mt. Vernon in '07. I saw Mt. Vernon beat Sebastian Telfair’s team in '04, so I was nervous. New team, but always solid rep(now they have Jabarie Hinds). Maginn lost, but Talor and Taran, and whole Maginn team showed they could play, losing by 3. Now, getting such a 1sthand updated report from djones, who writes from his heart, and doesn’t write puff pieces (which I like) is a great endorsement. Talor and Tim look to be improved. Could be exciting season, with starting lineup shake up. (would like to know what djones means by, “he’s slapped together up top.” Not aware of that phrase.)

[quote="jjepsu92, post:2, topic:1404"]Kid must have been reading your posts. ;)[/quote]

You never really know how a frosh will do when he enters college, as it’s such a leap. I felt that way in state championship game Maginn v. Mt. Vernon in '07. I saw Mt. Vernon beat Sebastian Telfair’s team in '04, so I was nervous. New team, but always solid rep(now they have Jabarie Hinds). Maginn lost, but Talor and Taran, and whole Maginn team showed they could play, losing by 3. Now, getting such a 1sthand updated report from djones, who writes from his heart, and doesn’t write puff pieces (which I like) is a great endorsement. Talor and Tim look to be improved. Could be exciting season, with starting lineup shake up. (would like to know what djones means by, “he’s slapped together up top.” Not aware of that phrase.)

If I had to guess, I’d say he’s talking about his upper body strength.

It definitely is a phrase that means he’s physically impressive in his upper body.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:2, topic:1404"]Kid must have been reading your posts. ;)[/quote]

If I had to guess, I’d say he’s talking about his upper body strength.

Of course, that makes sense. I must be slow. That comment, “he seeks contact at the rim and still finishes” is definitely true. You see this on NYC teams. It’s a mano-a-mano thing as well. NYC kids take the ball to the rim with the intent of scoring or getting belted or both. They want the contact. Regarding not being able to stop him penetrating, Taran seems to play like he knows you only need a 1/2 step to take it to the hole, though not necessarily space. I think most guys feel they need more space, and are hesitant to drive unless they get it, which they usually don’t, at least not often. No defenders are that bad. Not sure what it is, lack of confidence in handle, ups, speed. I’ve seen pro coaches still teach the “rocker step” or the “rocker motion”. That’s all that’s about, getting that first step against a tight defender.

Usually, to be “put together” is a compliment. To be “slapped together” is not. It has a haphazardly connotation to it, kinda like a temporary fix that won’t last.

…just sayin’ … :-X

[quote="Craftsy21, post:5, topic:1404"]It definitely is a phrase that means he's physically impressive in his upper body.[/quote]

Usually, to be “put together” is a compliment. To be “slapped together” is not. It has a haphazardly connotation to it, kinda like a temporary fix that won’t last.

well, when my upper body is slapped, the ripple effect is not temporary, but lasts a long time.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:5, topic:1404"]It definitely is a phrase that means he's physically impressive in his upper body.[/quote]

Not sure if you’re kidding here or not, but I’ve never heard “slapped together” used as anything other than a compliment. Generally used to describe women who have incredible bodies or men that are extremely cut/lean and muscular.

Put together could be used also, with pretty much the same meaning… but i always thought of the former as being an even greater compliment. I suppose that could vary from region to region, or generation to generation, but I don’t think of either as negative in connotation.

In Centre County vernacular, it means he “sports a very firm upper body physique.”

By the last part, I mean that nutty behavior from freshmen doesn’t necessarily wear well when the season is getting long and the weather is depressing and maybe the team is on a skid.

[quote=“djones, post:10, topic:1404”]In Centre County vernacular, it means he “sports a very firm upper body physique.”

By the last part, I mean that nutty behavior from freshmen doesn’t necessarily wear well when the season is getting long and the weather is depressing and maybe the team is on a skid.[/quote]

Sounds kind of gay, no? Not that there’s anything wrong with that. :wink: Is the term used describing females’ upper body physique in Centre County? :wink:

They’ll be at each others throats if they’re skidding. Let’s hope we skip that last part.

Not sure if you’re kidding here or not, but I’ve never heard “slapped together” used as anything other than a compliment. Generally used to describe women who have incredible bodies or men that are extremely cut/lean and muscular.

Put together could be used also, with pretty much the same meaning… but i always thought of the former as being an even greater compliment. I suppose that could vary from region to region, or generation to generation, but I don’t think of either as negative in connotation.

I guess local idioms are like that, with different meanings in different places.

I had a TV stand in college made out of 4 milk crates and a plank of wood. If someone asks where I got it, I’d say “it’s just something I slapped together”. I now have a very nice oak cabinet for the TV. That thing is really put together !!! :slight_smile:

I guess local idioms are like that, with different meanings in different places.

I had a TV stand in college made out of 4 milk crates and a plank of wood. If someone asks where I got it, I’d say “it’s just something I slapped together”. I now have a very nice oak cabinet for the TV. That thing is really put together !!! :slight_smile:

I guess here in centre county you’d hear that you “threw it together” rather than slapped, but I think either would be understood. But then you’d never say a body was thrown together in any context here, and it doesn’t sound like slapped would be said in your world - though it is around here occasionally. Very odd these idioms can be.

Are you the Amish Yoda?

Just remember, negative pub is better than no pub…

Gary Parrish at CBSSports has a column “The Poll Attacks” (which is actually a semi-humorous read) where he berates voters who cast questionable ballots. Week one for college basketball and our beloved Djones makes the article. Way to go Dave! :wink:

How dare he think Kansas State is better than Duke in a pre-season poll! ::slight_smile:

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:15, topic:1404”]Just remember, negative pub is better than no pub…

Gary Parrish at CBSSports has a column “The Poll Attacks” (which is actually a semi-humorous read) where he berates voters who cast questionable ballots. Week one for college basketball and our beloved Djones makes the article. Way to go Dave! ;)[/quote]

Just wanted to point this out…

The David Jones refered to in this article is actually a sports writer from Florida, not our own David Jones of the Patrio News wo does not have an AP vote.

That’s the trouble with a common name…

[quote="Finding Forrester, post:15, topic:1404"]Just remember, negative pub is better than no pub....

Gary Parrish at CBSSports has a column “The Poll Attacks” (which is actually a semi-humorous read) where he berates voters who cast questionable ballots. Week one for college basketball and our beloved Djones makes the article. Way to go Dave! ;)[/quote]

Just wanted to point this out…

The David Jones refered to in this article is actually a sports writer from Florida, not our own David Jones of the Patrio News wo does not have an AP vote.

That’s the trouble with a common name…

Please keep your pointless facts out of this thread…if you’d like to take good natured shots at our Djones (under the assumption that if he did have an AP vote that he would have ranked KSU #1) please continue to do so.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:17, topic:1404”]Just wanted to point this out…

That’s the trouble with a common name…[/quote]

Huh?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/external/onlinenews.ap.org/top25_basketball/men/index.php?SITE=AP&name=JONES

[quote="Skeeza, post:17, topic:1404"]Just wanted to point this out...

That’s the trouble with a common name…[/quote]

Huh?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/external/onlinenews.ap.org/top25_basketball/men/index.php?SITE=AP&name=JONES

I think that’s wrong.

http://gators.flatoday.net/2010/10/florida-todays-ap-voters-top-25-ballot.html