Disappearance of West Coast hoop

This just happened to catch my attention…

When I was looking at the most recent AP college hoops rankings, I noticed something that blew me away:

• There are NO PAC TEN TEAMS in the TOP 25!!!
  • None of the PAC TEN teams received as much as a SINGLE VOTE in the “Others Receiving Votes”.
  • The only teams in the TOP 25 west of BIG XII country are Gonzaga and BYU.

I’ve never seen a conference, let alone an entire region, disappear from the national landscape the way the West Coast has.

Must have been the West Coast quake the other day.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:1, topic:630”]This just happened to catch my attention…

When I was looking at the most recent AP college hoops rankings, I noticed something that blew me away:

• None of the PAC TEN teams received as much as a SINGLE VOTE in the “Others Receiving Votes”.

I’ve never seen a conference, let alone an entire region, disappear from the national landscape the way the West Coast has.[/quote]

Could be temporary, but Arizona losing Olson a big hit. SC has some current issues. Don’t really know what the geographic makeup was of some of those schools, but I get the sense kids are travelling a lot less for schools, and sort of staying on or close to the coast. Overall bball got so much better, with so many more DI schools. Seems to me unlikely that kids from Chicago, Detroit, NYC, Philly, DC, would go west coast. I think that particularly affects Oregon, Wash and Wash St., as they have less populations. And Arizona doesn’t have so many homegrown.

I have a trivia question for you. What Arizona HS grad and native was the leading scorer on his Big 10 team last year.

Kevin Coble

Yes. Was it too easy?

Cal is pretty good, though they did have a horrendous home loss to UCLA last week (never thought I would type those words.) They’ll be back in the top 25 before too long. Cal has also lost to Syracuse, Ohio St., New Mexico and Kansas, with none of those at home.

Arizona St. is also a good team – losses only to Duke, Baylor, USC, UCLA, and BYU. I think they’ll crack the top 25 too at some point.

You’re right though, Pac10 is down this year. UCLA lost a ton of talent to the NBA and then had some transfers too.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:1, topic:630”]This just happened to catch my attention…

- The only teams in the TOP 25 west of BIG XII country are Gonzaga and BYU.

I’ve never seen a conference, let alone an entire region, disappear from the national landscape the way the West Coast has.[/quote]

Pac 10 = West Coast. Conference and region are one in the same. There is only one high major conference west of the Big XII. When the Pac 10 has a down year, the West Coast will look bad. It’s not like the East Coast with ACC/Big East or the South with ACC/SEC or the Midwest with Big XII/Big 10. The SEC was just as bad last season, but the South didn’t “disappear” because the ACC was good.

MWC is coming around, and the WCC is Gonzaga and some ok teams. U$C and Arizona have taken big hits the last couple of seasons, though for different reasons. WSU lost a great coach, and UCLA was hurt when that PG left early (his name escapes me at the moment). In the last two seasons, USC, Arizona, Stanford, WSU and Cal have all brought in new coaches.

[quote="Skeeza, post:1, topic:630"]This just happened to catch my attention...

Could be temporary, but Arizona losing Olson a big hit. SC has some current issues. Don’t really know what the geographic makeup was of some of those schools, but I get the sense kids are travelling a lot less for schools, and sort of staying on or close to the coast. Overall bball got so much better, with so many more DI schools. Seems to me unlikely that kids from Chicago, Detroit, NYC, Philly, DC, would go west coast. I think that particularly affects Oregon, Wash and Wash St., as they have less populations. And Arizona doesn’t have so many homegrown.

I have a trivia question for you. What Arizona HS grad and native was the leading scorer on his Big 10 team last year.

I think you are right for the most part, but look at UNC. They have Drew III and the Wear twins, all from So Cal. My mind is farting right now, but the big lefty sniper at Nova (via transfer from Duke) played high school ball with the Wear twins.

I had predicted the Pac-10 get 1 team in the tournament this year before the season started, and now it’s really starting to look like it. Quite a sad situation out there, but not a surprise.

Right, everybody knew it would be a down year in the Pac 10. I don’t expect it to last too long, though you never know. I think Miller will get it done at Zona. U$C might be in trouble due to the sanctions. Dawkins has a great class coming in next season. I like Montgomery, but don’t know what kind of players he is drawing to Cal. They would be very good this season, but they don’t have a big man to compete at the high level. Washington has the players, but can;'t put it together. UCLA has a lot of young players, and will likely be better next season. ASU will continue to be a tough team to beat. I don’t know what’s going on at Oregon. They should be better than they are.

I know it’s a little bit off topic but I would love to see Ed get a game at Pauley next year prior to playing in the 76 classic…how great would it be to see our guys playing UCLA…especially since UCLA-PSU might be a competitive game next year.